PDA

View Full Version : 2436 options / vendors

Kevin Brown
03-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm looking at getting a 3 H.P. Oneway 2436 what are the essential options I need to get when ordering?

Braking Resistor - makes sense and I think I will get this one

Remote Start/Stop - is this useful? I thought this is why the main control arm swings to the position you want it

96 Position Indexing - how big of an advantage is this over the 48 position? then again @ $25 this is NOTHING compared to the rest of the order :rolleyes:

Any others not listed?

And last but not least, who did you get your Oneway from? And are you happy with their service?

Jim Becker
03-01-2006, 12:18 PM
The options you cite are all useful. The reason for the remote start/stop is convenience and sometimes safety as you can put it closer to where you are working and avoid reaching over the lathe during certain operations.

Consider buying your OneWay direct. Although I chose a different brand for my own needs, I would have ordered direct if I had opted for their product and have had good service and support on everything I have bought from them.

Andy Hoyt
03-01-2006, 1:03 PM
Kevin - That's an awesome machine, you'll love it.

I find that the remote is very handy on the outboard side and even inboard too. Definitely worth it.

Suggest you read old threads on Oneway's Forum about the Breaking Resistor. They go back and forth on the merits, but the bottom line is: Yup - Get it.

My 48 position ring is far more than adequate.

If you're getting either of the outboard extensions that are available for the 2436, and will often be switching back and forth between inboard and outboard work, I encourage you to get an extra banjo. And if you're really lazy, get an extra tailstock too - big bucks, though.

There are many other options too, as I'm sure you know. All make sense, but can indeed make this a very pricey investement. All I can say is - if you have the cash - buy the heavier options with your machine as it will save you a bundle on shipping costs if purchased separately later.

I got mine through David Lancaster, a local friend and pro-turner,who also happens to be a Oneway Dealer. Good resource and he does sell them all over the place. Lemme know if you'd like to contact him.

Oh, and be prepared to wait a while after ordering. Fine White Iron takes time.

Andy

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2006, 1:53 PM
Ah Ha!!!! I wondered how long it would take Andy to get his 2 cents worth in a that big Mayo machine.:eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Cecil Arnold
03-01-2006, 2:24 PM
Probably should order a custom mustard paint job as a factory option.

Andy Hoyt
03-01-2006, 7:23 PM
Hey, Cecil! Lancaster told me that someone once did order a machine in a special color. Candy Apple Red Metal Flake. Cost the guy a fortune. Can't imagine what that'll look like after a couple hundred bowls worth of time.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2006, 8:08 PM
Andy's in heaven...............somebody ordering white!

Cecil Arnold
03-01-2006, 8:16 PM
Andy, I almost traded a motorcycle once for a candy apple red '40 Ford coupe and matching T100 Triumph, man they were beautiful, that flathead was so tricked out it wouldn't hardly idle. For candy apple red I'd turn on a Oneway.

Frank Parker
03-01-2006, 8:22 PM
I ordered from craft supply because there shipping was $225.00 cheaper, The cost of the lathe itself I found was the same everyware. I didn't get the Braking resistor and I have not had it trip once and I've turned some 40-50 Pound pieces. I just put the belt on low speed and switch to long decelerate. the remote switch I wish I had got that. The outboard options I'll get in the future.
Your going to love it.
Frank

Greg Savage
03-01-2006, 10:36 PM
I ordered a 3hp 2436 several weeks ago with all the recommended options, plus all the outboard and vacuum goodies. One option that I jumped at was a stainless steel bed.....There is some debate whether or not to let the bed rust (oak and walnut)so the tailstock assembly can get a better grip, but I find that a clean bed makes it easier to move things around with minimal effort. Although it was major $$$$, I won't give the cash outlay a second thought for a more efficient way to work.

Is anyone looking for a nice 2hp General with an extention bed?

Andy Hoyt
03-01-2006, 11:19 PM
All right, Greg! We're catching up on those PM guys.

Tell us about yourself, if you would please. What kinda of stuff you have been turning, and so forth.

And tell us about the General, too. I suggest you report that info here to give us a quick heads up look-see; and then post it over in the Classified Section too. And be sure to indicate where the machine is located as that often is a huge factor for heavy machinery purchasers.

Greg Savage
03-02-2006, 8:46 AM
All right, Greg! We're catching up on those PM guys.

Tell us about yourself, if you would please. What kinda of stuff you have been turning, and so forth.

And tell us about the General, too. I suggest you report that info here to give us a quick heads up look-see; and then post it over in the Classified Section too. And be sure to indicate where the machine is located as that often is a huge factor for heavy machinery purchasers.

Andy....I will post a little bio and some more info on the General this evening after I get home from work....(reminder to myself....Quit dayjob!)

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 9:16 AM
One option that I jumped at was a stainless steel bed.....

Interesting. I don't recall this being an option in the past. Perhaps it's due to the new competitor, Robust...who's lathes include stainless steel ways.

Charles E. Martin V
03-02-2006, 9:22 AM
The only difference you're likely to find is shipping, as Frank stated. OneWay guards their lathes like a hawk and the price is the price no matter where you go.

Richard Allen
03-02-2006, 10:07 PM
You are going to love that lathe. Here is the list I would consider.

96 position
Remote on/off
RFI
Short bed extention
Handwheel hub
Breaking resistor
Short tool rest

Greg Savage
03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Andy....I will post a little bio and some more info on the General this evening after I get home from work....(reminder to myself....Quit dayjob!)

Andy.....I had a long bio typed out and ready to post with attachments and websites then some pop-up thing reared its ugly head and crashed the entire thing!!!!! I'll try and get you guys some info tomorrow.

Steven Wilson
03-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Besides what you're considering I ordered the following with my 2436 (3hp)

17" multi-extension
handwheel hub (I added some walnut too it, turned it down and it's great)
A second banjo.

The remote is great I use it about half the time.
I have the multi-extension mounted outboard along with the second banjo. With that setup I can rough turn a bowl inboard (using the tail stock for support) and then move it outboard for hollowing (leaving the stock mounted on the chuck just spin the chuck off and remout outboard). With the weight of the tailstock you want to avoid lifting in on and off the machine.

Kevin Brown
03-05-2006, 4:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for your insight on the lathe options

I think I'll be placing my order sometime this week, with the options listed by Steve Wilson

And hopefully in 3 or 4 months :rolleyes: I'll post a pic when it comes in just to prove it happened.

THANKS AGAIN

Dennis Daudelin
03-06-2006, 6:32 AM
When I bought my 2436, I got the extra extension. I had it outboard but kept forgetting to use it. I think that if I had the second banjo, it would have made more sense. Lately, I've moved the extension to the bed side and have been able to turn some long spindles, ie: canes and walking sticks.

Never needed the braking resistor and I've turned quite a few logs into bowls that took 2 people to lift.

Also, haven't really found a need for the remote yet. But it sure sounds like a nice thing to have.

The thing that I wish that I had was a tool rest in the middle of the 6" and 14" sizes that are sold by Oneway. Sometimes I find that I just need it to make things easier.

That's my .02 from a happy WHITE owner...

Dennis