PDA

View Full Version : Latest Work - pic

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-03-2003, 5:04 PM
Here is a shot of the latest request to come out of my shop. First time I have worked with Honduran Rosewood...........beautiful wood, and dense! I made this box for my Cousin, who I had given an Heirloom Box on July 6th. She wanted another like it, only smaller and with different wood and box joint corners. This box is Honduran Rosewood and Cherry, finished with Tung Oil and Wax. The size is 5" x 8". I guess I am not the only one fond of Decorative Boxes..........I am getting more and more requests for these as folks see them. Thanks for taking a look!

Terry Quiram
08-03-2003, 6:50 PM
Well, see how you are? You went and made them just too damn nice! :D Now everyone wants one. Nice finger joints. Table saw or router?

Terry

Scott Campbell
08-03-2003, 7:17 PM
Real sharp Kevin. Haven't worked with H. Rosewood yet, but am looking forward to it.

Kinda looks like the box is ready to fall of that fence though ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-03-2003, 7:23 PM
Thanks Terry. You're right, now everyone wants them........but, the money will come in handy for more STUFF for the shop, which I be Likin'! (I gave a few away to close friends and relatives, and no one has had a problem paying for them...........and they insist that I sign and date them, so when they hand them down, the next generation will know where it came from, good idea I guess.)
The joinery was accomplished on the Table Saw. I built the Box Joint Jig and several different fences that was featured in Shop Notes Magazine. The Jig works outstanding, and a sharp Dado Set does the rest. Thanks for the compliment Terry, I appreciate it! ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-03-2003, 7:28 PM
Thanks Scott. You are very observant! The box is sitting on the hand rail of our deck.........and you are right, it was barely hangin' in there...........good thing the wind wasn't blowing! Honduran Rosewood almost looks "Fake" the grain is so naturally beautiful.......unreal colors also. It is very hard, but it really machines nicely...........just back it up when you can to avoid tearout, and it is no problem. It finishes great as well............a real pleasure to work with.