PDA

View Full Version : Killing time till the Chuck arrived.

Jeff Horton
03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I have been waiting on a new Chuck for a while. It came last night but still waiting on the adaptor coming from Oneway. Everything about getting this old lathe up and running has been hurry up and wait.

Mean time I have been roughing out some bowls on a faceplate and doing some spindle work. Next to bowl turning my favorite is Christmas ornaments.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/turnings/ornaments.jpg

Red cedar were my first ones in 10+ years. I think it shows, at least to me. Others are western red cedar and pecan. I am happy with the pecan shapes. They look like I wanted. The pecan came from a large tree that had to be cut in my Pastor yard. I got the tree and his wife asked that I make her something from the wood. So I am goign to work on a set of ornaments. Once the chuck is finally going I will turn a few bowls form the pecan and give her the best one.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Jeff they look pretty good to me. You should have seen my first turnings. Isn't that the pits Jeff having to wait. I know as a new turner myself it drives me nuts waiting for something.

Rich Stewart
03-01-2006, 1:20 PM
At least you not waiting for the lathe. Get some practice in with what you got. What you got there looks good. Keep spinnin'.

Jeff Horton
03-01-2006, 2:01 PM
have seen my first turnings. Isn't that the pits Jeff having to wait. I know as a new turner myself it drives me nuts waiting for something.
I bought this lathe while I was still building the house. So it sat in the garage for several weeks before I even unloaded it off the trailer. Then it went into the shop and sat for another couple of months or more. Finally got to where I could go to the shop and work on something beide the house and so I got serious about the lathe.

Shopped for a couple weeks for a VFD, couple weeks after that I got to install it. Messed around trying to find if NOVA made an adaptor for the chuck. That took a couple of weeks (they don't BTW). ...... you can see how everything has taken lots of time with this lathe. I have learned to just do something else till what ever I am waiting on comes in. But with the Chuck sitting there and the jaws and no adaptors.... now this wait is the worst!

But I can build up my stock of ornaments for Christmas gifts mean time. :cool: