PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Ed Breen
03-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi Everyone,
Well I'm back with my new knee and adjusting well. They cut on 1/31.
As some may know my band saw is an ancient "Dupli-Carver" model 249. For some reason I got it in my head that the blade was 105' long, It's not, more like 108". As I remember, the last time I got blades they were made up. (The tag says Starret blades??) I'm open to any advice as to the best place to order my blades which will have to be tailor made. P.S. if anyone would like a Viking 105" 3tpi pm me and i'll send it to you gratis.
I'm about to leave the office for therapy, so I'll be responding after lunch.
Ed:) :)

John Miliunas
03-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Ed, I would give the folks at Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ ) a call. :) :cool:

Michael Ballent
03-01-2006, 12:41 PM
What John said :D

Ed, I would give the folks at Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ ) a call. :) :cool:

Jake Helmboldt
03-01-2006, 1:14 PM
Ed, have you looked to see if there are any local suppliers of bandsaw blades? I found a couple local Lenox dealers via their website. One of them has prices that are about half of what I found on the web and made several blades the same day for me. I have been happy w/ the Lenox blades, both carbon steel and bi-metal.

Jake

Ted Shrader
03-01-2006, 1:17 PM
What Michael said about what John said. Definitely Suffolk Machinery.

And since you got a new knee, are there pictures or do we just take your word for it? :) ;) :D :) Glad you are back at it!

Ted

Don Baer
03-01-2006, 1:19 PM
I agree with Jake. I found a local saw sharping service who will make up any length blade for me and very resonable. I pay $14-$16 for carbon steel and $25-$29 for bi metal blades depending on the width of the blade and they make them up for me while I wait. I takes about 15 minutes.

Michael Gabbay
03-01-2006, 1:23 PM
Ditto with John's recommendation. They have great blades and a great price.

Ken Shoemaker
03-01-2006, 2:19 PM
I got 4 blades from Suffolk and would never go anywhere else.!

Ed Breen
03-02-2006, 1:16 PM
Thank you all for your timely advice. I am going to call Suffolk for two reasons:
1. You all recommended them.
2. They are located in my hometown during the 50's and nostalgia takes over.
Ed

Joseph N. Myers
03-02-2006, 3:48 PM
Ed,

Another vote for Suffork and one heck of a good place to start. I've been buying from them for years and will continue to do so. One thing worth mentioning is that the company name is Suffork and the brand name they sell (make, or whatever) is called Timberwolf, a name you may have seen.

Another name to keep in mind is Iturra Design, 1-888-722-7078, no website, e-mail: kall@aol.com, his name is Louis. Probably the most knowledgeable person on band saws in the country, or at least that is what everybody says. If nothing else, get a copy of his Product Catalog, basically everything you wanted to know about bandsaws.

About the knees. Know lots of people getting knee replacement lately, most both knees. Boy knee surgery has come a long way in the last year or so. You're up and around in a month or so, unbelievable. Haven't come that far with the hips, had mine done 10 months ago and still have a ways to go. They say one year for the hips. And the back, don't think they made any advancements in the last 50 years.

Also PM'd you about the 105" blade.

Regards, Joe

Steve Clardy
03-02-2006, 5:53 PM
Glad to see you back up and around Ed.
You staying outa trouble there in Muskogee?