PDA

View Full Version : Now this is HOT stuff!

Don Farr
08-03-2003, 3:58 PM
While everyone was enjoying the picnic I was canning peppers. We love pickled peppers, so I try to stock up when they are in season. I know that I should have been in the shop working on some project, but you get one chance at this yearly.

Bobby Hatfield
08-03-2003, 10:49 PM
While everyone was enjoying the picnic I was canning peppers. We love pickled peppers, so I try to stock up when they are in season. I know that I should have been in the shop working on some project, but you get one chance at this yearly.

Don them is gonna be some good eatin with beans, greens and sidemeat. Enjoy.

Bart Leetch
08-04-2003, 12:59 AM
So how far is Dallas GA. from Hinesville or Savanna. I used to live in Hinesville. I like peppers too. Yum Yum. Yours look great with pickled veggies yet.

Terry Quiram
08-04-2003, 7:32 AM
Don

Would you share your receipe? I make a mean popper and "Cowboy candy".

Terry

Don Farr
08-04-2003, 8:31 AM
Bobby you got that right. All though I have been known to eat them with just about anything. I have a sister in law that will eat them with breakfast.
Bart, Savannah is a long way from Dallas. I,m northwest of Atlanta, only about 20 miles from the Alabama line.
Terry and all that asked,

Don's Pepper recipe

50/50 white vinegar and water
1 Tbls of salt (per quart)
1 tsp of sugar (per quart)
1 tsp of peanut oil (per quart)
1 bay leaf
1 or 2 cloves of garlic
some sliced onion and carrots
and of course jalapeņo peppers

Heat vinegar and water. Pack jars with peppers and vegetables. Add seasonings listed above. Seal and process in a pressure cooker.
The timing here is very critical. Let the pressure come up to about 4 or 5 lbs. and turn off the heat. Cool down as quickly as possible and get them out of the cooker ASAP. If you don't you will end up with jars of mush. If some don't seal just right, eat them first. I have never had any go bad. After all with the salt, vinegar and acid in the peppers I don't think its possible. Enjoy!

This recipe is the result of many times of trial and error trying to duplicate the peppers a mexican friend would give me many years ago.
I think I got it pretty close.