PDA

View Full Version : Asking a BIG favor for anyone is San Luis Obispo, Ca county!

Josh Goldsmith
03-01-2006, 1:05 AM
Hi everyone! I recently recieved a 15" planer. Anyways the blades need to be sharpened really bad but the problem is i don't have any tools to help set the blades all the same depth. I looked into buying planer pals but i just can't afford it right now. Wife has made me promise i will slow down spending $ on woodworking tools. I was hoping someone would let me borrow them and give then right back. I don't have a problem leaving a deposit. PLEASE help. Since i recieved all this rough cut black walnut i can't use it until i joint and plane them smooth. Thanks ahead of time.

Josh

Michael Ballent
03-01-2006, 3:35 AM
I cannot help you but completely understand where you are coming from as far as your wife wanting to slow your purchasing down.

Josh Goldsmith
03-01-2006, 3:33 PM
Yeah she is very suportive about my hobbies but we recently bought a house that we are fixing up to sell and all of our money is tied up in that house. She made me promise that i will stop until we sell the house. Thanks anyways. Anyone else?

Mike Henderson
03-01-2006, 3:46 PM
I don't have a set of Planer Pals to lend you but why don't you open up your request geographically? That is, you could make a deal with anyone in the country if you are willing to put up a deposit and pay for the shipping. If your deposit is equal to the price of a new set (including shipping to purchase it), someone would be indifferent about whether you returned the borrowed set or not.

Mike

nic obie
03-01-2006, 3:48 PM
Hi Josh,

I wish I could help out with the planer, but I don't have any Planer Pals to lend. All I have room for is a lunch box planer and it has disposable knives.

Did you get the walnut locally? I'm always looking for new wood sources and am willing to drive a ways in order to get a bargain.

Chris Dodge
03-01-2006, 7:18 PM
I have one but I am down in Orange County. That's a 235 mile drive to pick it up. You'd be better off just buying one for yourself.

You could make one out of magnets and wood. It's really quite easy and probably as accurate as the Planer Pal.

Dick Bringhurst
03-01-2006, 7:40 PM
Josh - Are the blades steel or carbide? Dick B.

Josh Goldsmith
03-01-2006, 8:09 PM
My blades are steel. Chris how do you make them out of wood and a magnet. Wouldn't you have to have 2 identical setups. I thought about making them but having 2 the same has scared me a little. I recently changed my blades on my 8" jointer by using 2 magnetic torpedo levels. It worked awesome. I am willing to build them if i can get an idea on how to build them. Thanks anyways guys. Maybe someone who hasn't logged on in a while will log on tonight and help me out.

Chris Padilla
03-01-2006, 8:17 PM
Can't help you w/planer pals but I'll offer up my 16" J/P to mill your wood for you...I'm up here in San Jose.... :)

Dick Bringhurst
03-01-2006, 8:22 PM
Josh - Check your PM"s

Russ Massery
03-01-2006, 9:08 PM
Josh, I found these much better for setting knives.There easy to make and the indicator can be purchased for $10.00 each. The one made out of wood came from this web site. http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/SettingPlanerKnives/SettingPlanerKnives.html I made the ones made out out aluminum.

Bruce Page
03-01-2006, 9:49 PM
Josh, I found these much better for setting knives.There easy to make and the indicator can be purchased for $10.00 each. The one made out of wood came from this web site. http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/SettingPlanerKnives/SettingPlanerKnives.html I made the ones made out out aluminum.
Those are pretty cool Russ. I might have to make a pair for myself. Thanks!

Edit: Just remembered that I have a 3 knife head so that jig probably wouldn't work for me.
Oh well...

Russ Massery
03-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Bruce, My Jet planer is a 3 knife head. The article it came from is the same planer as mine.I have a CAD drawing of if you need it.

Peter Lyon
03-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Josh,

You're welcome to what I believe is a planer blade setting jig that I have left over from a 15" Jet unit I used to own. It's not the "Planer Pals" but it worked for me the one time I used it.

It must have come with the machine when I bought it. I would describe it as a 15" long 1/4" diameter rod with a funny "A" shaped figure on each end that are free swinging.

If you're interested let me know, you can have them free. (I've always felt bad for not sending them along with the machine when I sold it...:o )