PDA

View Full Version : walnut woodworking pics

andy Needles
03-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Josh Goldsmith turned me on to this site and recently posted some walnut slabs I gave him. He forgot to mention that he threw in an old 6" jointer to sweeten the deal. Anyway, I use these walnut slabs (4-5ft by 16-24" wide) to make things for the house, friends and for a local gallery in big sur.

I tried to attach samples, but I could not do it, although some can be viewed at www.dovercanyonrustic.com (http://www.dovercanyonrustic.com)

Anyway, anyone have any great ideas for getting the final moisture out of airdried walnut? I have some slabs that are 3-4 years old and they are still reading 20 percent moisture in places, while they are 10% or so in others only a few inches away. The slabs are typically 2" thick. Any ideas?

Josh Goldsmith
03-01-2006, 12:53 AM
This is a great site Andy! There is so much useful info here it's crazy. I have learned so much by asking questions about some of the simplest things. You should post a picture of that little table you made. I am sure you get alot of complements. Anyways thanks for the wood!:D

Vaughn McMillan
03-01-2006, 2:52 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Andy. I don't have an answer for you on the moisture question, but I did want to compliment you on your work. That's some pretty wood you've harvested.

- Vaughn

David Duke
03-01-2006, 7:57 AM
Welcome to the Creek Andy, I'm sure you will find the coffee hot and the conversation quite entertaining and educational. As far as posting pictures check out Vaughn's thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31106

Bill Simmeth
03-01-2006, 9:30 AM
Andy,

Welcome to the Creek! Awesome work you have shown on your website. You've got real talent.

To your question, I assume you have the stuff stickered. If you have such a disparity between pieces so close together, it could be an air movement issue (?). You might try putting one of those large window fans set at slow speed at one end of your stack. Good luck!

Jim Young
03-01-2006, 9:35 AM
I have to say that I'm not much on naturat "stick" type furniture, but those benches somehow look really comfortable. I think those things are slowly starting to grow on me.