PDA

View Full Version : A Cheap chuck

Stephen Hibbs
02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
I am wondering if this chuck: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DCZBZ/ref=pd_rhf_p_2/103-1457242-0396642?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013 (the cheapest grizzly 4 jaw chuck) will be good enough for turning bowls and the like- most likely not excedding 12" in diameter, and more realistically around 8". After seeing my neighbor's Oneway chuck I am jealous, and I am growing weary of using glue blocks, so I feel this should be my next big purchase. If you feel this is a bad choice, please offer your suggestion (though please keep it under $100!). My lathe has a 1", 8tpi threading.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the help.

Cecil Arnold
03-01-2006, 1:05 AM
Stephen, personally I would shy away from it and look at the Oneway, or one of the Novas. I find it difficult enough at times with a quality chuck to keep things where they should be. You should be able to get 50-60% of your purchase price back on a quality chuck if you decide to get out of woodworking so spending more now shouldn't be that bad.

Earl Eyre
03-01-2006, 1:43 AM
It looks like the same one I bought from Penn State a year or so ago and have had good luck with it. It may not be a Oneway, but it will do the job. 12" is probably pushing it, but if you took nice easy cuts it will work. 8" is no problem. Most of them run slightly out of round so just leave a little extra wood on the exterior of the bowl so you can true it up when you chuck it up.

I bought a good chuck a few months ago and frankly (I know this is herasy) I find it is smoother to operate but it doesn't hold the wood any better than the cheap one--both hold it just fine. Since I got the dovetail correct I haven't lost a bowl when I'm turning. And I still usually have to re-true a bowl or vessel on the fancy chuck after I reverse it and mount it in the chuck.

And don't worry about the two tommy bars. Just use the tailstock as a third hand to snug the piece into the chuck before tighting it.

Earl

Gary Max
03-01-2006, 1:51 AM
You might want to look at the new Barracuda 2 chuck--- it's just a little more than what you want to spend but will do you a much better job. I think you can find it over at PSI's web site.

John Hart
03-01-2006, 6:31 AM
I own the chuck that you're asking about Stephen, and I can say that it is a great educational tool. It taught me to lighten my touch quite a bit because it doesn't take much of a catch to pull the piece out of the jaws. On my most recent piece (That Ambrosia Cherry Bowl) I didn't have much of a tenon and it held for the entire session. Light cuts and sharp tools help with tearout too, so in effect, the drawbacks in the chuck actually improved my turning skills.

Chris Barton
03-01-2006, 8:00 AM
Hi Steve,

I too have that chuck, actually 2 of them, and I have had no problems. No, they won't crush a piece of wood into splinters, yes they are a little tricky to get a piece into but, for the money they are great learning tools and do their job.

Steve Hayes
03-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I have a One way and it works great. Some people don't like the two bars for securing the workpiece but I have had no problems.

Joe Melton
03-01-2006, 12:23 PM
I have that chuck, too, and need to get around to returning or exchanging it. I understand others have been dissatisified and have exchanged one or two until they got a good one. The problem is, I think, that the machining tolerances are just too sloppy; if you wiggle the jaws one at a time, you will find they wiggle to different degrees. I assume that is what makes the pieces I try to turn with it so bad. There is just no way I can turn a piece, remove and remount it and come anywhere close to being aligned the same way.
I wish I had not wasted the money on it, though it wasn't much. This hobby is somewhat expensive and buying expensive, good, chucks is part of the expense, I have concluded. It certainly leads to more satisfaction down the road.
Uh, this said, if you want to buy it from me, I'll make you a deal!
Joe

John Hart
03-01-2006, 1:04 PM
Interesting Sales Technique you got going there Joe! ;) :D

Stephen Hibbs
03-01-2006, 4:05 PM
Thanks for all the help and first hand information, I think I'll go with this, or possibly the psi Utility chuck ( http://www.pennstateind.com/store/cug3418c.html ) from penn state. I think I'll go with the first one though, if I can find a screw chuck for it. Are accesories for the grizzly failry easy to come by?

Bart Leetch
03-01-2006, 4:18 PM
New Utility Grip PSI 4-Jaw Lathe Chuck— includes 2 sets of Jaws
Our newest utility chuck is ideal for mini, midi, or even full size lathes. Hold bowl blanks or spindles from the inside or outside with the included #1 and #2 jaws. A screw chuck (not shown) is also included as an added bonus.• #2 jaws expands from 3" to 3-3/4" dia. to grab inside. Grips from 1-5/8" to 3-1/2" dia. from the outside.
• #1 jaws expend from 13/16" to 2-7/8" diameter to grab inside.
Grips from 1/2" to 2-1/8" diameter, from the outside.
Includes adapters for 3/4" x 16tpi and 1" x 8tpi (not shown).
Weight is 5lbs.

Stephen Hibbs
03-01-2006, 5:12 PM
Yes, but that's for the psi, not the grizzly. It was the grizzly I was reffering to. I think I'll make my own screw chuck implacement for the grizzly anyways. Does anyone know if there are different jaws that can be bought for the grizzly?

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2006, 5:39 PM
Stephen I looked and could not find any extra jaws to buy for the grizzly. So I went with the PSI because with the extra jaws it is more versitile and you can get Cole jaws for doing reverse bowl turning for it for about $25. Grizzly told me that the jaws from PSI will not fit their chuck. Just my $1.298.

Bart Leetch
03-01-2006, 7:25 PM
Stephen

I would wait & save a few dollars & buy the PSI or any other better chuck so that you could get the screw chuck & other jaws so you won't be limited. In this case haste will indeed lay waste to your wallet. You'll just end up buying the better chuck later after your disappointed by this Grizzly chucks lack of ability to have larger jaws & the fact that it doesn't have a screw chuck.

Ernie Nyvall
03-01-2006, 9:30 PM
Interesting Sales Technique you got going there Joe! ;) :D

Now who's going to clean this coffee off my keyboard, that I just spewed all over after reading this. Dad blast it John... you got this dry sense of humor that creeps up on a guy and hits'em in the gut.:D :D :D

Also, I like your take on using this chuck. Certainly makes me take another look at the one I have.

Ernie

RL Johnson
03-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Grizzly offers the G6265 for $99.50. It is a knock-off on the Vicmark and many people in our turning club has bought and like them. The Vicmark will cost you twice that.