PDA

View Full Version : SCMI Bandsaw vs. ????

Rob Will
02-28-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm looking at large bandsaws from old to new. If you have an opinion, please share it.

As I understand it SCMI owns Mini Max and Mini Max has exclusive rights to sell Centauro bandsaws in the U.S. If I look at the SCM website they have very little in the way of bandsaws. Mini Max on the other hand sells several of the Centauro/MM saws.

Did SCMI get out of producing bandsaws and is that why they now sell the Centauro product line?

Was there a problem with SCMI bandsaws such as this SC900?

Thanks,
Rob

tod evans
03-01-2006, 8:17 AM
rob, i believe this is a rebranded centuro....02 tod

Paul B. Cresti
03-01-2006, 9:38 AM
It kind of looks like a Meber, also an Italian manufacturer

tod evans
03-01-2006, 10:35 AM
paul`s right, i dug a bit and meber did make this unit...02 tod

Paul B. Cresti
03-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Uhh I did bit of digging too.... must of been in the opposite direction though :D what I found was that this could be a Centauro because: it has a telescoping blade guard (I do not thinl Meber has one) and the table is milled shiny ( I don not think Meber does this) .....color may put it into the pre 1999 range

Bill Lewis
03-01-2006, 11:30 AM
you guys have really got me confused now

Roy Wall
03-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Rob,

If you go old iron, You can't go wrong with a TENNIWITZ 36" - one of the best ever made.

tod evans
03-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Uhh I did bit of digging too.... must of been in the opposite direction though :D what I found was that this could be a Centauro because: it has a telescoping blade guard (I do not thinl Meber has one) and the table is milled shiny ( I don not think Meber does this) .....color may put it into the pre 1999 range

okay i give.....rob, i don`t know who made it but i`ll bet it`s italian..02 tod

Rob Will
03-01-2006, 1:53 PM
Rob,

If you go old iron, You can't go wrong with a TENNIWITZ 36" - one of the best ever made.

Roy, I like old iron providing that it is of modern config. I'm not in a position to rebuild anything. I will consider any brand that has parts availability and any particular machine that is excellent to like new in appearance. My planer is a 1990 model PM 225 out of a school shop. It has seen very little use and that sort of sets the tone for the other big machines in my shop. If you see a really nice BS please PM me.

Thanks,
Rob

And as always, thanks Paul and Todd. I'll be shopping for a clean machine with a good deal.

lou sansone
03-01-2006, 2:10 PM
moak super 36 is also a very nice machine

I do believe the scmi is a centurao saw

lou

John Michael
03-01-2006, 7:44 PM
Don't know who made that saw, but as far as late model SCMI saws they are also Centauro, I have a SCMI S600 (24") and it is identical to the Centauro SP600, except it's white and says SCMI, if you go on Centauro's Site.

The SCMI are just re-branded Centauro's, where as the MM is made by Centauro but with proprietary features i.e. oversized resaw, euro-guides, and different motors. My SCMI has the standard 13" resaw, Carter guides, and european motor.

You can call SCMI to get their latest offerings in bandsaws, they just don't list them all on their website.

Hope that helps,

-John