PDA

View Full Version : Best Under Table Router under $250

Gary Hupp
08-03-2003, 2:50 PM
My table router has gone to the great workshop in the sky. It was not optimal any way. What is your recommendation? I know that the PC 7518 or new Milwaukee is probably the best, but I don't have 300+ to put in it.

Jim DeLaney
08-03-2003, 3:34 PM
I've been quite happy with my Hitachi M12V.

I've used it with rail & stile and panel raisers to make a whole set of kitchen cabinets so far, and it's performed beautifuly.

After using it 'as is' for about six months, I bought a Router Raizer for it. Makes depth adjustment easier (from above the table), but it's not really necessary - just an added convenience.

Gary Hupp
08-03-2003, 3:55 PM
I've been quite happy with my Hitachi M12V.

I've used it with rail & stile and panel raisers to make a whole set of kitchen cabinets so far, and it's performed beautifuly.

After using it 'as is' for about six months, I bought a Router Raizer for it. Makes depth adjustment easier (from above the table), but it's not really necessary - just an added convenience.
Thanks Jim, that was one of the routers I was looking at. Did you get the fine adjustment knob?

Jim Young
08-03-2003, 4:11 PM
I'm with Jim, Hitachi M12V. Have mine for six years now with no problems. It's never been out of the table.

Bob Lasley
08-03-2003, 4:17 PM
Gary,

I have had the Freud for three years or so and it has been a trouble-free workhorse. I removed the springs from the plunge mechanism and find that it is quite easy to adjust. I use bits from 1/8" straight cutters all the way up to the big panel raisers with no problems. I have seen this machine lately advertised at $179 so it is well within your budget.

I have used the PC7518 a fair amount and like the Freud's speed control better! All things considered, I'd buy the Freud before the PC!

I have not used the Hitachi, but have heard nothing but good about it. I don't think you could go wrong with either the Hitachi or Freud.

Good luck
Bob

Jim DeLaney
08-03-2003, 7:48 PM
I'm with Jim, Hitachi M12V. Have mine for six years now with no problems. It's never been out of the table.

Yeah, i did, but as noted, later replaced it with the Router Raizer.

BTW, forgot to mention, I also removed the springs. Makes it easier to adjust when in the table, and mine lives there permanently.

Mike Evertsen
08-03-2003, 8:00 PM
I've had Hiataci TR12 for 13 years the last 4 mounted permantly in the table,,,,

Jim Baker
08-03-2003, 10:15 PM
My Freud has doene everything I've asked it to, except for when the swith went out. It was fairly pricey to replace.

Dave Arbuckle
08-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Aonther Freud FT2000E user. Table only, no problems in full range of bit sizes. No fine adjustment add-on cost, comes with.

Dave

Duane M Swensen
08-04-2003, 8:22 PM
I have had my Freud FT2000 for about 5 years. It does everything I have asked of it and more. I like it so well I bought a second one for hand use. At $179 it is hard to beat. Comes with an edge guide too. I equiped the one in the table with a Router Raizer so it is easy to dial in the precise depth from the top of the table.Next best thing to a shaper.

Lloyd Robins
08-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Hi! I am new to this forum, so I hope that this works. I have used a Freud router as an under table router. It worked fine. I have, however, changed to a Bosch 1617EVS. I bought the kit. The plunge is for above the table. I now have a Bench Dog router lift that I use under the table. However, I found that the standard base worked well under the table. The kit is less that the $250.00 amount noted. I also bought a 1618 on ebay for quite a good price, so I also have the D-handle. It is just a thought, but you could buy the kit now and add on later.

Bob Wilkerson
08-05-2003, 6:26 AM
My table router has gone to the great workshop in the sky. It was not optimal any way. What is your recommendation? I know that the PC 7518 or new Milwaukee is probably the best, but I don't have 300+ to put in it.

I'd have to say I love the Milwaukee 3.5hp router that I got a couple of months ago. The built-in above the table adjustment is nice and saves the cost of any lifting devices. You can get one for about $295 from Amazon via a price match delivered.

Bob

Doug Cowan
08-06-2003, 10:58 AM
I have the M12V in a modified version of Norm's table and have been very happy with it. It can be a bit disconcerting to set up, you have to cut off the "ears" to use larger panel bits. John Lucas has some excellent information on setting the M12V up for table use on this website, "woodshop demos". I followed his step by step instructions and was very pleased with the results. Good luck.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/menu2.htm