PDA

View Full Version : Carpenters Tool Box

Dennis McDonaugh
02-28-2006, 10:29 PM
We have five kids and none of them are even remotely attracted to woodworking. However, the oldest is finally buying a house and they are going to need a basic tool box. Here's what I came up with, but I'm sure I left a heck of a lot of stuff out. Can you help me out?

Rip saw
Crosscut saw
Hammer
Cross peen hammer
Tack hammer
Combo square
try square
bevel square
level
set of 4 chisels
punch
tape measure
nr 2 philips
nr 1 philips
nr 2 regular
nr 1 regular
??

Steve Clardy
02-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Razor type knife.

James Owen
02-28-2006, 10:53 PM
We have five kids and none of them are even remotely attracted to woodworking. However, the oldest is finally buying a house and they are going to need a basic tool box. Here's what I came up with, but I'm sure I left a heck of a lot of stuff out. Can you help me out?
.....??

Dennis,

For a home owner's tool kit, in addition to what you've already listed, I'd add -- even thought they are not ww tools -- the following:

Pliers -- 1 each of: regular; needle nose; slip adjustable-type goose neck; locking-type;
Pipe wrench
Small pry/crow bar
Adjustable wrenches -- small and med/lg
Circuit tester -- small hand held
A couple of C-clamps
Putty knife
Utility knife w/extra blades

Will think of other stuff and edit/add later....

[edit/addition]

Small mirror on an extendable shaft
Small magnet on an extendable shaft
Small socket set with the most common size sockets
Garden tools: shovel or two, pick, hoe, garden trowel
A couple boxed sets of general purpose screws (machine and wood), nuts, bolts, nails, washers, etc.
Duct, electrical, plumber's (teflon), and aluminized tape
Plunger
Hand-held drill (electrical or handraulic) with bits
A set of nut drivers

James

Maurice Metzger
03-01-2006, 1:35 AM
Eye protection, especially if they aren't experienced tool users.

- Maurice

Michael Gabbay
03-01-2006, 8:58 AM
Stud finder and caulk gun. Any new homeowner should not be without either! :D

Dennis McDonaugh
03-01-2006, 9:00 AM
Those are good ideas, I'll add them to my list. Thanks!

Dave Anderson NH
03-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Folks have given you a good set of suggestions for a basic homeowners set to which I need to add a couple of the more commonly forgotten items.

A small metal or plastic tool box to store and carry around some of the items.
Cordless drill and a basic set of twist drill bits
Sharpening setup for chisels, etc
Long corded flourescent tube shop light for working in small dark areas
To your tape measure I'd modify it and say one 12ft and a 25ft

Mark Berenbrok
03-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Yankee push drill and yankee screwdriver

tod evans
03-01-2006, 1:01 PM
5 in 1 painters tool, wonder bars(2), needle nose pliers, in lieu of seperate screwdrivers and nut drivers the klein 10-1 is handy...02 tod

Michael Gabbay
03-01-2006, 1:26 PM
I'd also add an assortment of screws, nails, picture hangers etc. Also, paint brush and a canvas drop cloth.

Maybe a $1000 gift card to HD or Lowes. :D

Roland Chung
03-01-2006, 1:29 PM
Dennis,

Since this is a woodworking forum, what about building a really nice toolbox for all of these great suggestions? Tolpin has a book about Toolboxes with some beautiful ideas in it. It would take some time, but it would be a labor of love and might spark an appreciation in your son for this hobby of ours.

Roland

P.S. If we keep adding stuff, you may want to consider some wheels :)

Dennis McDonaugh
03-01-2006, 1:55 PM
Dennis,

Since this is a woodworking forum, what about building a really nice toolbox for all of these great suggestions? Tolpin has a book about Toolboxes with some beautiful ideas in it. It would take some time, but it would be a labor of love and might spark an appreciation in your son for this hobby of ours.

Roland

P.S. If we keep adding stuff, you may want to consider some wheels :)

That's the plan, I', actually going to make five at once and fill them as the need arises. I have collected 10 panel saws so they are going to set the length of the box. The rest of the tools will determine the width and height. I'm hoping it'll be a managable size when I'm done.

I'm going to use clear pine, painted on the outside, and maple and mahogany on the inside. I've seen that on a lot of antique boxes and it looks nice.

Jim Becker
03-01-2006, 2:38 PM
How about a combination stone to sharpen the chisels... ;) That was something I never knew about or knew how to do until a few years ago and my "home improvement" chisels were downright dangerous because of it. Tools do require maintenance, even for basic home repair.

As to the level, a short bullet level is useful for picture hanging and other close quarter stuff and should be on the list in addition to a 2' and/or 4' level. (2' is probably fine for a basic home maintenance setup)

This may or may not have been mentioned, but a flat pry bar is also quite necessary in the kid, IMHO.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-01-2006, 3:19 PM
Here's an updated list incorporating all your suggestions. Some were outside the scope a "tool box", but valuable to a homeowner none the less.

Rip saw
Crosscut saw
back saw
wooden miter box
claw hammer
cross peen hammer
tack hammer
combo square
try square
bevel square
2' level
6" level
set of 4 chisels
set of punches/nail sets
12' tape measure
25' tape measure
screwdriver with changable bits
utility knife
Pliers, regular
needle nose
pliers, slip
Pipe wrench
small crow bar
flat pry bar
small adjustable wrench
medium adjustable wrench
Circuit tester
stud finder
A couple of C-clamps
Putty knife
painters 5 in1 tool
assorted hardware
Duct, electrical, plumber's, and aluminized tape
portable light
cordless drill with bits
A set of nut drivers
caulk gun
plunger

I'm going to have to see how big this box is going to end up. I was thinking something on the order of 28wX18dX16t.

Kevin French
03-01-2006, 4:37 PM
How about a little knowledge. If you have never used the tools before all the tools in the world won't help. I had a city boy show at my door. He couldn't straighten his chain saw blade. I set it on the top step and in less then 5 sec had it straight for him. Then I made him do it a couple times.

Get him some books at least. Find a used book store and stock him up.
At least he'll have a reference library to go to when he needs information.

Hank Knight
03-01-2006, 5:05 PM
I'd add a pair of wire cutters (maybe the needle nose or the regular "wire" pliers would serve, but dedicated wire cutters are better). I'd also consider adding hacksaw and a good pair of scissors.

Matthew Springer
03-01-2006, 5:07 PM
A Lee Valley gift certificate would also be a good thing.....

Steve Clardy
03-01-2006, 5:08 PM
Gonna have to add a tool chest with wheels after all these goodies are added in. Tool box weight will be up to 300#'s:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bart Leetch
03-01-2006, 8:00 PM
How about Job boxes one for plumbing, etc.

Richard Niemiec
03-02-2006, 8:26 AM
How about a hack saw, a couple of files and some snips for basic metalwork.

regards.rn

Dennis McDonaugh
03-02-2006, 11:09 AM
I can see I am going to have to prototype this thing to find out what will fit in a reasonable size box and what is going to have to be left out. I think I may have to go with two boxes, a metal one for what I call mechanics tools like screwdrivers, pliers and such, and a wooden one for carpenter tools.

Roy Wall
03-02-2006, 11:19 AM
I can see I am going to have to prototype this thing to find out what will fit in a reasonable size box and what is going to have to be left out. I think I may have to go with two boxes, a metal one for what I call mechanics tools like screwdrivers, pliers and such, and a wooden one for carpenter tools.

Dennis,

I agree on separate boxes...good idea.

I've been watching this thread grow - and from what you've said about your kids and the woodworking deal................you really only need to give them one thing - Your Phone Number :) :) :D

Dennis McDonaugh
03-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Roy, I can't help them much over the phone and none of them live very close to me. Even though they all grew up in Texas, they have spread all over the country, Pittsburgh, Boston, Dallas and Ft. Worth. But, I still have one in college and it doesn't look like he is ever leaving home.:eek:

Michael Gabbay
03-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Here's an updated list incorporating all your suggestions. Some were outside the scope a "tool box", but valuable to a homeowner none the less.

Rip saw
Crosscut saw
back saw
wooden miter box
claw hammer
cross peen hammer
tack hammer
combo square
try square
bevel square
2' level
6" level
set of 4 chisels
set of punches/nail sets
12' tape measure
25' tape measure
screwdriver with changable bits
utility knife
Pliers, regular
needle nose
pliers, slip
Pipe wrench
small crow bar
flat pry bar
small adjustable wrench
medium adjustable wrench
Circuit tester
stud finder
A couple of C-clamps
Putty knife
painters 5 in1 tool
assorted hardware
Duct, electrical, plumber's, and aluminized tape
portable light
cordless drill with bits
A set of nut drivers
caulk gun
plunger

I'm going to have to see how big this box is going to end up. I was thinking something on the order of 28wX18dX16t.

Looks like you'll need wheels :eek: