PDA

View Full Version : dry lubricants

Juan Rivera
02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
:confused: Do these lubricants really work or am I better off with the good old lithium grease? I'm getting ready to do maintanance on my cabinet saw and would like to know if these dry lubricants offer as much protection on the gears and any other metal on metal rubbing parts. I do not want to risk wearing gears just because dust stick to grease.

On another subject can anybody tell me why I get an arrow on top of the envelope next to my message?

Thanks!

Russ Massery
02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
I just started using one. Three or four months. My saw does tilt and moves up and down much easier with it. The manufacturer says to apply a couple of coats and few days apart for best results.

Vaughn McMillan
02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Juan, can't help on the dry lube (I'm interested to see the answers, though), but the little arrow shows the threads where you've posted a reply.

- Vaughn

Charlie Plesums
02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
...On another subject can anybody tell me why I get an arrow on top of the envelope next to my message?

Thanks!

I believe it means that you have replied to (or contributed to) that discussion.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
PTFE is available in a spray can at most industrial suppliers like Grainger and McMaster-Carr. It contains teflon suspended in an evaporative carrier. I have used PTFE on rubbing parts, including wood surfaces, and it makes them very slippery, and it doesn't attract dust. However, it doesn't seem to last long.

One of the wood working magazines had an article about 1 year ago on lubricating tablesaws. They recommended regular past wax (like Johnsons paste wax) applied generously with a small brush. I did this, and it seems to work fine.
-Jeff

Howard Acheson
03-01-2006, 1:09 PM
If you are looking for a lubricant for the heli or worm gears in your saw, let me suggest using a furniture paste wax. That is what most of the mechanics and table saw book gurus suggest. Use an old toothbrush to work it onto the gears while cranking the tilt and blade raising handles. The solvents in the paste wax will remove the old gunk and new layer of wax will be left. Wax is an excellent lubricant and it does not attract or hold dust.

Chris Padilla
03-01-2006, 1:48 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/ Do a search on "dry lubricants" and read up a bit.

My personal favorite for woodworking machinery is Dow Corning 557 Dry Film Silicone...but you don't want it on your wood! :eek:

Tom Andersen
03-01-2006, 3:02 PM
I use graphite powder for the moving parts (worm gear etc) and wax for the exposed surfaces. Graphite is a wonderful lubricant. Works fine for door locks as well.

Phil Ordway
03-01-2006, 8:28 PM
I use two. A CRC molybdenum disulfide spray and Almasol dry film lubricant by LE. Neither holds dust and neither contain silicone.