PDA

View Full Version : Quickie Adjustable Table Braces

Vaughn McMillan
02-28-2006, 9:01 PM
I recently upgraded my table saw with an Incra TS fence system, and in the process of doing so, I added a Rockler router table extension to the table saw. Since this added quite a bit of weight (and even more when I install the new M12V router), I wanted to add some support to avoid stressing the Incra rails. The TS3650 has a nice built-in mobile base, and I move my saw quite a bit, so the additional support needed to move with the saw, without using any additional floor space (which is hard enough to find in my shop). I decided to go with "kickers" that attach to the base of the saw and somewhere around the ends of the TS rails. I also wanted the kickers to be adjustable in length, so I could add or decrease the amount of support they provide. I used a regular ol' fir 2 x 4, so it's not fine woodworking by any means, but at least I used a roundover bit and some BLO. ;)

To adjust the length of the kickers, I ended up using metal turnbuckles, but instead of using them to apply tension, I'm using them the "wrong" way -- more as a spreader than a puller. I made each kicker to be two pieces, with a turnbuckle between the two halves. Stealing an idea from another post I saw here on the Creek a while back, I split each kicker segment and embedded eye bolts into the ends of each kicker section. Here's a shot of one half of one kicker. You can see where I drilled/routed recesses on each half to accept the eye bolt. I made four of these, all assembled with Gorilla glue.

Here's a shot of all the assorted pieces. In addition to a few bolts, nuts and washers, there are two halves for each kicker, a pair of joist hangers from the local hardware store, and a chunk o' 2 x 4 to provide an easy mounting plate for the joist hangers. It's not real clear in this pic, but the threaded portion of the eye bolts sticks out of one end of each kicker half. You can also kind of see I cut the ends of the kickers at an angle, which should make sense in upcoming pics:

I drilled a couple holes in the TS legs to accept the bolts holding the horizontal 2 x 4, and mounted the joist hanger to accept the bottom of each kicker. Here's a shot of one of them:

I also drilled holes in the oak frame beneath the router table top, which is where I bolted the other end of each kicker.

Once it was all assembled, I could tweak the length of each kicker as needed simply by adjusting the length of the turnbuckle.

Right now I've got it adjusted to give just the slightest amount of compression to the turnbuckle. I don't expect to need any more force than that to keep things straight, but the turnbuckles made it very easy to dial in the amount of force being applied to the router table frame, and thus to the TS rails.

As I mentioned earlier, this is not fine woodworking, but maybe someone can steal an idea or two from this and use it to their advantage.

_ Vaughn

Howard Rosenberg
02-28-2006, 9:06 PM
I did a similar thing with 1" electrical conduit bolted to the side of my extension table and 1/2" nuts, bolts and washers stuck into the conduit.

Moving the nuts up or down raises or lowers the table similar to your turnbuckle idea.

Howard

Dave Richards
02-28-2006, 9:07 PM
Great idea. I like the use of the joist hangers and the bottle screws. Good idea. Did you put locking nuts on the turnbuckles?

Vaughn McMillan
02-28-2006, 9:11 PM
...Did you put locking nuts on the turnbuckles?
Nah, with a slight bit of compression on them, they don't seem like they want to go anywhere. There's not a lot of vibration in the saw, so I expect things to stay in place pretty well.

Howard, I like your idea. Do you have any pics?

- Vaughn

Hank Knight
03-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Vaughn, that's a great solution. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it (I'll return it when I'm done ;)).
Hank

Andrew Shaber
03-03-2006, 3:32 PM
I like your turnbuckle idea but I would rather have that leg on the ground. that way it can provide support and stability. For the mobile base. it would pick up everything to where the legs are off the ground.

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 3:52 PM
Vaughn, I really hadn't looked at the details when I first saw this thread, but now that I have, I'm really impressed with the simplicity and functionality of this idea...as well as the economy! Bravo! I can see a number of places this could be used very effectively in the shop.

john whittaker
03-03-2006, 3:56 PM
Thanks Vaughn...this is a definite possibility for me in the near future. Always good to get ideas for you McIver types. I saw recently where you called someone else a McIver...It takes one to know one.:p

And Howard...any pics of your support? I too would like to see.

P.S. Vaughn...green & gold DO go together.;)

Vaughn McMillan
03-03-2006, 4:44 PM
Vaughn, that's a great solution. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it (I'll return it when I'm done ;)).
Feel free...that's why I posted it here. :) (Make sure it's dusted off when you return it, though...I run a clean shop.) :p

I like your turnbuckle idea but I would rather have that leg on the ground. that way it can provide support and stability. For the mobile base. it would pick up everything to where the legs are off the ground.
I agree that putting the legs on the ground would be more stable, but the mobile base on the Ridgid is built-in, with no practical way to extend the mobile base to run underneath the TS extension. If I kept the saw in a stationary position I'd run the legs vertically, but since I need to move the saw around in the shop, this worked out to be the handiest solution.

...I'm really impressed with the simplicity and functionality of this idea...as well as the economy!
Yeah, I think I spent all of about $10 on the whole thing. (I had to buy the 2 x 4 stud, since I didn't have one laying around.)

- Vaughn

P.S. John, if the right pieces of gold-colored equipment happened to show up in my shop, I' be willing to get accustomed to green and gold together. ;)