PDA

View Full Version : Cutting up laminate?

Steven J Corpstein
02-28-2006, 6:33 PM
How do you guys cut Formica type laminates to rough sizes before gluing down on the substrate? For instance a 12" x 60" piece from a 4' x 8' sheet.

Brian Hale
02-28-2006, 7:00 PM
Tablesaw. High tooth count blade, preferably triple chip grind, and something to keep it from sliding under the fence. Good side up and at least 3/8" oversize.

Brian :)

Jeremy Gibson
02-28-2006, 7:03 PM
Steven,

I just finished an outfeed table using Formica brand laminate. This was my first time cutting and applying laminate, so take this as a first-timer's technique.

I put the laminate on the floor of my garage and put a straight edge (straight piece of wood in my case) in a mark 1/2" to 3/4" wider (or longer) than my final measurement. Using a sharp utility knife I scored the laminate, good side up, several times. Then I stood on the piece of wood and snapped the laminate. It worked surprisingly well. After doing that for a few pieces I used the table saw for the smaller strips.

IMPORTANT: If you use a table saw clamp a secondary fence to the table saw fence so it is tight against the table top. Otherwise the laminate could slip under your fence and cause serious problems or injury. I would also recommend a feather board to put downward pressure on the laminate.

Jim Dailey
02-28-2006, 7:31 PM
You can cut it on a table saw if you have a large flat (no rollers 'cause it will hook) out feed table however the typical TS fence is too high off the table thus the laminate can slide under the fence. This can cause a bad cut or shatter the laminate if it pinches..... I have a auxilary fence that attaches to my TS fence that forms a "grove" for the laminate to ride in... I wouldn't suggest this method unless you are set up for it....

I also have a laminate hand cutter that cuts knotches out of the laminate that I bought years ago when Trendline was still in business. Several years ago I added a Kett electric shear that cuts the laminate the same way as the hand cutter.

I also use a Vertux (sp?) splitter for doing strips. Or there is a PC attachment for laminate trimmer that is a good splitter for narrow edge strips.

You can also use a small 1/4" straight bit in a router if you support the laminate carefully so it doesn't flex.

And lastly you can use a utility knife, and "score" the laminate. You need a hard surface & multilple passes. If you don't scope deep enough the laminate will "run".....:( The utility knife is the lowest tech, but if you take your time the easist to get you started.

Hope this helps,
jim

Don Baer
02-28-2006, 7:37 PM
Jim,
Great advice and welcome to the creek.

Allen Bookout
02-28-2006, 7:51 PM
For larger full length cuts sometimes I use a cabinet saw with a Forrest WW11 blade and sometimes I find it faster to throw a full size piece down on some 2x4s and use a circular saw. The blade that I currently have on the circular saw is a Freud Diablo 40 tooth finish blade (DO 740R) and it cuts the laminate with no chiping at all.

Steve Clardy
02-28-2006, 7:58 PM
Table saw for the large sheets.
Clamp a board on the fence so the lam won't slip under it. I use 3/4 scrap. [Don't forget to calculate for the board being there.
I use the same blade as I rip lumber with. 24T.
Good side up. Have a table at the rear of saw to lay it on to get started. Thin flimsy sheets are a little unruly to handle by yourself.
Get a helper if you have one close by if you haven't done this before. Steve

Matt Meiser
02-28-2006, 8:00 PM
I've use my WWII on the table saw. In my limited experience, I haven't had any issues with it slipping under my Biesemeyer fence.

Tom Peterson
02-28-2006, 9:19 PM
not sure if this works on all thicknesses, but I just broke down 10 sheets of vertical grade laminate for my cabinets. just like drywall. I did find that Stanley makes a special balde for laminate scoring (~$2 at Ace). for rough cuts this is good enough. The special blade is a must have if you will do a lot. I tried the regular blade and it was shot after 4 cuts.

Joe Unni
02-28-2006, 9:30 PM
EZSmart.

I've done it - it works great! Just remember - good side down.

Good luck,
-joe

Allen Bookout
02-28-2006, 9:42 PM
The reason that I like using a circular saw is that most of the time I just need a piece, like a 2' x3', and if I make one cut the full length or width there ends up being a lot of waste as the next piece may not be the same width. It seems like that was what Steven was asking about.

Steve Clardy
02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
I've also use a pair of electric shears. Porter cable. Made for light gauge metal sheeting. If I need to take a section out instead of ripping the whole sheet. But it takes out a 1/4" path.

Ken Garlock
03-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Table saw for the large sheets.
Clamp a board on the fence so the lam won't slip under it. I use 3/4 scrap. [Don't forget to calculate for the board being there.
I use the same blade as I rip lumber with. 24T.
Good side up. Have a table at the rear of saw to lay it on to get started. Thin flimsy sheets are a little unruly to handle by yourself.
Get a helper if you have one close by if you haven't done this before. Steve

Steve, I must have read your mind. I just finished putting WilsonArt laminate on a 25"X115" cabinet. I put a scrap of 3/4 ply on the face of my Incra fence to keep the laminate from sliding under the fence. I set my Forrest blade to just cut through the laminate, and just zipped through the lam. like butter. I had my #1 helper(aka wife) guide the lam. on the output side of the saw.

During the fine-tuning of the back splash length, I had to trim the splash and the Forrest miter saw blade on the Mikita did an excellent job. Just lower the blade slowly and it comes out smoother than a baby's bottom.

tod evans
03-01-2006, 12:03 PM
the most painless way is with a carbide tiped hook knife, score-n-snap..02 tod

Steve Clardy
03-01-2006, 12:21 PM
the most painless way is with a carbide tiped hook knife, score-n-snap..02 tod
On small pieces I do that sometimes. But a 8-10-12 footer? No.
Takes to long to mark a straight line on it, then score, break. Easier to get a straighter cut line on a table saw. Works for me:D

Mike Monroe
03-01-2006, 1:26 PM
Tip to cut laminate on the table saw... cut a shallow kerf in the board attached to the fence, along the edge nearest the table saw surface. Let the laminate ride in the kerf as you cut. The kerf "captures" the laminate, keeps it from sliding up or down on the fence.