PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 0490 Jointer Decision: It's A Go!

Scott Vigder
02-28-2006, 6:22 PM
The threads in this and other forums are quite entertaining and informative when it comes to tool reviews. My fledgling shop is in dire need of a jointer, and I was ready to plunk down $1100 to buy either the Delta 37-380 or the Shop Fox 1684 when I thought I'd give Grizzly a look. Last November I went through a similar process and bought a Delta X5 Unisaw over the General, Grizzly and Powermatic offerings (a fabulous decision as I love the Unisaw). I can be slightly anal when it comes to large purchases (anything over $99 qualifies). I read everything I can get my hands on. I go to retailers and others shops and try to actually place my hands-on the prospective equipment.

To my surprise, the Griz 0490 on paper compares more to Delta's gold standard DJ-20 than the 37-380 at virtually half the price of the DJ-20. Whoa. Brain overloaded, my immediate reaction was to discard the Griz as a serious contender.

I look for these key features in a jointer:
Any tool with 2hp or more must run on 220. The motor must be TEFC.
The bed must be at least 8" as our previous 6" jointer came up an inch short too many times.
Parallelagram beds are best.
The table height has to be a minimum of 32" (I'm 6'1").If you Google the G0490, you'll only get two pages of findings. How refreshing to not have to read through 1.2 million pages of information (most of which revert to Amazon.com anyway).

The consensus is Griz has addressed quality control issues, has hopefully fixed transit issues, and seems committed to bringing a quality product to the masses. I'm sure they are not perfect yet, but we all know friends who have horror stories with their top-of-the-line Powermatics yet still swear by them.

So for the mere pittance of $750 + $89.29 for shipping I have, on February 28, 2006 ordered the Grizzly. If it performs as well as the 37-380, I'll still be $225 ahead of the game. If it comes close to the DJ-20, I'll embed my smile on every furniture leg, post, board and stile I joint. Now the only issue left is When Will It Arrive, And in What Condition?

BTW, I'll be glad to offer any info one would like regarding the Delta X5 36-L31X BC50.

The saga begins.

Michael Disorbo
02-28-2006, 7:10 PM
Scott,

I just got my 490 and also own the DJ 15. I have used the DJ 20 and I have to say the 490 is the same machine with the exception of a 3 HP motor, the built in mobile base and the power switch located above the machine and the best thing of all, HALF THE PRICE!!! I would bet the DJ 20 and the 490 are built by the same people just painted a different color and Grizz adds in some extras. I ran some cherry through the beast today and no problems, not even a whimper from her. You won't be dissatisfied with this machine!!

Good Luck,

Michael

Scott Vigder
03-01-2006, 2:42 PM
Thx for the info....
The shipper called today and they want to deliver tomorrow! I had to say ok, fine with me, if you must.

Michael Disorbo
03-01-2006, 3:32 PM
Good luck and let us know how you make out. Where is yours shipping from? I just ran a bunch of cherry through mine, never skipped a beat and boy that long bed is sure nice!!! Boards were came out nice and flat. So much easier than the 6".

Michael

Allen Bookout
03-01-2006, 4:25 PM
I think that you are going to like it Scott. Allen

Scott Vigder
03-01-2006, 4:58 PM
The shipment is coming from the Muncy, PA warehouse. I do not have loading dock access so I had to shell out an additional $32 to Overnite for liftgate service. I'm in northeast Ohio which I'm sure is contributing to the very short delivery timeframe. Oh, darn! Now I have to rally the troops to help me put this puppy together. I have several hundred board feet of cherry obtained from a neighbor's thinning operation last year, and most of it is in 7-8" widths. Projects already completed from this wood have absolutely breathtaking grain. Boiled Linseed oil really makes the grain pop and gives it an almost three dimensional quality. I've been waiting for an 8" jointer to reduce glue-ups.