PDA

View Full Version : Spindle indexing?

Roger Bailey
02-28-2006, 6:07 PM
I have very little turning experience. Mostly bowls and some table legs when I was in school years ago. I am going to buy a lathe soon and have been doing some searching. Some lathes list a spindle indexing. What is the purpose of this? Is this a feature I would need for legs, bowls and things like them? I can't recall hearing that term back then.

Chris Barton
02-28-2006, 6:15 PM
Indexing allows you to lock the headstock at multiple points of the radius so that you can perform shaping of the piece along the longitudinal axis, like putting flutes on a column.

Gary Max
02-28-2006, 6:20 PM
Yah what Chris said-----heck I have never used the system on two of my lathes.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-28-2006, 6:21 PM
Also helps in mounting and removing faceplates, chucks, etc.

Good feature, if you don't have to pay a lot more for the feature. For instance, the Rikon lathe 70-100 12" X 16" capacity has it and I believe that you can get one for around $250.00.

Bruce

Bruce

Andy Hoyt
02-28-2006, 6:21 PM
Or drilling a specfic number a holes around the circumference of the piece that are equidistant from one another.

Bruce - aren't you refering to a spindle lock? A whole nuther device.

John Timberlake
02-28-2006, 6:52 PM
My lathe allows for indexing. In one year, I have used it on three projects. Two were to put in flutes and reeding on legs and bed posts. One was to use the lathe as a vise to shape a cabriole leg. Most mid to high end lathes will have this feature.

Carl Eyman
02-28-2006, 9:20 PM
I was making fluted spindles last summer. Didn't have indexing of the lathe; so had to improvise. Firs attempt was a flop, returned spindle, and second attempt was passable, barely.

Jack Ferrell
02-28-2006, 10:52 PM
John,
Using the indexing on the lathe as a vise is an excellent idea.