PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen refacing

John Gregory
02-28-2006, 4:47 PM
Has anyone had kitchen cabinets refaced by a contractor? What was the cost? Have you refaced a kitchen for someone else? What did you charge for labor?

I have done some refacing for family a few times, I am just not sure what to charge a non-family member. For the face frames I resaw the material and surface to 1/8" All new doors, flat panel. New drawers and drawer fronts. I have a pretty good idea of what to charge for the project without a finish and without installing. So those are the two items that I am most curious about.

My wife and I are weekend woodworkers, so it is difficult to estimate the number of hours the work will take.

I want to make it worth our while, make it a good deal for the client. We don't make a living doing this, but I don't want to sell us short.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
John

Steve Clardy
02-28-2006, 8:11 PM
I build new cabinets. [Self-employed] Never refaced anything.
Usually I've found, if they need refaced, they need replaced.
But, maybe for some folks it's just a color change, door change.
I'd just have to figure material, time, add a labor charge.
Sometimes you have to wing it. Feel them out how much they are wanting too pay. Go from there.

John Gregory
03-01-2006, 9:33 AM
I build new cabinets. [Self-employed] Never refaced anything.
Usually I've found, if they need refaced, they need replaced.
But, maybe for some folks it's just a color change, door change.
I'd just have to figure material, time, add a labor charge.
Sometimes you have to wing it. Feel them out how much they are wanting too pay. Go from there.

Thanks Steve,
Pricing is always tough for the hobbist wanting to make some extra cash to feed his woodworking addiction LOL.

John