PDA

View Full Version : 22K Gold-can it be laser engraved?

Clyde Baumwell
02-28-2006, 3:52 PM
I have a jewelry maker who would like me to laser engrave on 22K gold. Any experience or opinions out there about this? I know this is a woodworking forum but I think I have seen non-woodworking topics.

Joe Pelonio
02-28-2006, 4:03 PM
Send me a sheet of gold and I'll test it!

Jewelry is engraved with yag lasers with precision attachments similar to a rotary attachment for doing the inside of rings. I only know that because I read in an industry publication about the company that did the rings for "Lord of the Rings". While gold is one of the softer metals, I doubt that even 100 watts of CO2 laser power could mark it.

Bruce Volden
02-28-2006, 5:50 PM
Sorry, no gold engraving. The gold is too conductive and will dissipate the needed heat. Bruce

Kevin Huffman
02-28-2006, 5:57 PM
Cermark metal marking materials are capable of making high contrast, permanent marks on various metals with CO<sub>2</sub>, YAG and diode pumped lasers. To date marks have been made on: stainless steel, aluminum, tin, copper, brass, chromed steel, titanium, tungsten carbide and lead-coated steel. The material is also expected to work on niobium, tantalum, silver, gold, palladium, platinum and pewter.

This is an exact extract from www.cerdecmark.com (http://www.cerdecmark.com), they are the people who make the Cermark spray. It is a ceramic based spray that you put on metal and cook on to it. It becomes one with the metal and turns black.

mike klein
02-28-2006, 6:55 PM
I have lasered on a number of gold plated items, not to say this is going to work on EVERY piece of gold material out there. The only ones I have used with excellent results are those sold by Fred Ricci tool company. Full power at 13sp on a 45w machine.