PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing tools

Rich Stewart
02-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Bill had said he would be interested in seeing the hollowing tools I made. I made these from memory after looking at some that Bill G had shown. Handles are 2 X 4 sanded to 120 grit no finish. I got some 3/8 square stock from Ace hardware and some concrete fluted nails and ground them into a chisel shape and ca'd them into the holes. Drilled a hole in the end of the handles and pounded them in with a hammer. That short straight one split and I didn't feel like making another one as I didn't even know if they would work so I just cut off the split, redrilled and pounded it in again. Thats the reason it is shorter than the other two. Anybody know if those zinc rods will bend? I was thinking of making a swan neck one. Does it have to be heated or can you just bend it? Anyway this is what I used for that little first hollow form.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Rich how did you grind the nails to sharpen them to cut? Can you get a close up picture of them? Thanks.

Bill Stevener
02-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting the photos.

The steal cut nails should do the job if you have a good profile ground and dressed for the cutting application.

Yes the key stock you purchased at Ace can be bent. I bent the swans neck tool I made by placing it in a vice and slowly bending it with a length of pipe. A fine tool can be fabricated if one takes there time.

I did notice in your photos that you have not elected to incorporate any ferrules or collars on the handles. If I may, I would strongly recommend the same, to prevent any future splitting. Copper tubing works well.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
03-01-2006, 6:22 AM
Hey Rich...Nifty!
I thought I saw Ferrules on them Bill. Out of focus maybe. I am concerned about something though. Maybe it's nothing. But the Squared edges on the end of the shaft worry me a little in terms of catches. Shavings really accumulate fast inside the HF and are the main cause for most of my catches...and catches in a hollow form are pretty terrifying.:eek: If it were me, I'd smooth out those edges. I really don't know if it'll make any difference...Just a suggestion.:)