PDA

View Full Version : Questions about finishing on the lathe

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm in the process of finishing the official Idaho Salmon Bonker #1. I'm using Mylands Friction Polish. I've applied it liberally on a non-turning lathe and then using a rag applied more while the lathe was turning. If I found any runs or excessive build up in on place, I used a clean rag and buffed it out while it was spinning at high speed. Could one buff it using 0000 steel wool?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Attached is a photo as to it's present state.

Gary Max
02-28-2006, 10:16 AM
You can----but you do not want to.
It's a real job to dig out the little wires that are left hanging in the wood.

Glenn Hodges
02-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Ken, think about using a paper towel because the rag might get caught and wrap around the piece and hurt you. I did some of these and finished them with spar varnish.

Andy Hoyt
02-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Ken - I always use a paper towel when finishing stuff on the lathe. Never had a problem and it also provides a safety factor in that should a tail end of the rag get caught up in the spinning piece or the chuck, it will just tear off instead of grabbing and taking your arm for a ride.

Paper towels it is then! Question.....do you also use the paper towel to provide the friction?
Yup

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Paper towels it is then! Question.....do you also use the paper towel to provide the friction?

John Miliunas
02-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Yup, paper towels for me, as well! :) :cool:

John Hart
02-28-2006, 11:28 AM
....Question.....do you also use the paper towel to provide the friction?

Yes! and many other things as well. Why, I've even used them to clean up spills in the kitchen! They're great to have around the house for a great many things. Try them today! :)

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2006, 11:34 AM
LOL, good one John. Ken I just mounted a paper towel holder by the lathe.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Yes! and many other things as well. Why, I've even used them to clean up spills in the kitchen! They're great to have around the house for a great many things. Try them today! :)

Well.............NO XXXXXXX...uh.....kidding!:rolleyes: :D

David Fried
02-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Ken,

try rubbing a handful of those shavings on it too! I'll try the towels in the kitchen - what a concept!

Dave