PDA

View Full Version : shipping and freight costs

Julio Navarro
02-28-2006, 9:45 AM
Has anyone arranged for shipping and or freight for a machine such as a BS?

Can anyone recommend a shipper/truck company?

I want to ship a BS 200lbs (delta 14") from Michigan to Florida.

Thanks

tod evans
02-28-2006, 9:48 AM
julio, it`s always cheaper to pick your package up at the dock than to arrange for "to your door" delivery.....02 tod

Julio Navarro
02-28-2006, 9:54 AM
julio, it`s always cheaper to pick your package up at the dock than to arrange for "to your door" delivery.....02 tod

Yes, I noticed that as I look into it. Any idea on average costs? I can buy the BS for about 200$ but I dont want the shipping to go much over 80, as the seller is willing to crate for 75$ Is 80
$ a pipe dream?

tod evans
02-28-2006, 9:55 AM
no idea?? .02 tod

Steve Hayes
02-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Amazon charged me $90.00 on the Delta I just bought but discounted it by $50.00.

Jay T. Marlin
02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Is 80
$ a pipe dream?
Absolutely. I'd estimate that a typical freight company would charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. Maybe subtract $100 if the base is shipped separately via UPS or Fedex.

The least expensive shipping company I've found so far is ABF (the some company Amazon uses). Other companies may very well charge double, up to $500-600 for the same machine.
http://www.shipabf.com/quote.asp

Add ~$100 on each end if you need lift gate service, and add another ~$50 on each end if you want residential pickup or delivery.

A good guideline is to take Grizzly's freight charges and multiply by three. Grizzly ships in huge volumes and also has warehouses within 1000 miles of just about any destination in the US, so their freight charges are very low.

Scott Loven
02-28-2006, 10:30 AM
I had a saw shipped to me at work using our companies freight rates and it only cost me $75. This was the minimum price for <300 lbs anywhere in the Conn US.
Scott

Brian Parker
02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Julio,

Am I reading your post correctly in that the guy wants $75 just to crate the saw? :confused:

Ok now to shipping, I’ll try to keep this short and sweet, I know a lot about shipping and I don’t want to run on and give too many details.

If the saw that you are looking to purchase is in two pieces (base and saw) then see if you can get the weights on the saw and base. I doubt that both will be under the 70# limit/carton that is in place for home delivery. If both items weight 150# or less then I would see if the seller is willing to send them separately (two boxes/packages).

If they are willing to send them separately then read this paragraph if not skip it. Your next step is if you are not a business (not working out of the house) then see if you can get them shipped to your place of work. If that is a no go then see if you know a local business owner or a friend who has a business and get them shipped there.

The reason that an item up to 150# can be sent to a business is because that is a different business entity than the home delivery, ground and home delivery are two different services that are available. The max weight for HD is 70lbs and Ground is 150lbs per package. Before I mentioned that you can’t call your house a business. Even if you do work out of the house it don’t count, there is no way for them to know when people are lying or telling the truth, and the HD charges are more than Ground by the way. I forget all of the rules deeming a place business (Ground) vs residential (HD) but the general rule of thumb is people can’t live there for it to be Ground. If you want me to get the official list of what deems a place HD vs Ground simply let me know and I’ll see if I can dig that up for you.

I’m not sure but off the top of my head a 150# shipment will usually run ~$65-$70 with insurance of $300 on the package. I’m just estimating it, it will depend on if you pick or FedEx or UPS, (FedEx is cheaper :cool: ) because their lanes and delivery times are off by a day sometimes (FedEx is a day faster in some areas :cool: ). I would mention DHL but they have poor customer service and their on time delivery is for the crapper. (sorry if anyone works there but its what I have found from my and others experiences) I don’t know the DHL rates or where to ship them from.

If you are going with a freightliner I proab don’t need to tell you that you better hand them your arm and leg when they deliver it. And as Tod said its cheaper to have them do a freight delivery to their dock and for you to pick it up. If they have to do a residential delivery they charge more for that :mad:, and if you need them to bring it on a lift gate that’s more too :mad:. Also most people here can tell you that if you get a freight item that the driver doesn’t have to help you offload it, its your responsibility. I don’t deal with freight at all with work so I don’t know their rates rather I can tell you though that Overnight is owend by UPS and of course FedEx Freight is FedEx :D.

I hope you get your saw and that this helps you out, if you need something more just post back and I’ll see what I can answer for you.

Brian

Julio Navarro
02-28-2006, 11:41 AM
I will look into this, I can have the item shipped to my work place with no problem. Thanks Brian

Michael Ballent
02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
I can tell you to avoid ConWay/CTX like the plague. They destroyed my initial SawStop shipment, then fast forward a few months and they lost my Festool MFT shipment... I will not deal with them ever again. Customer service is non-existant. Go somewhere else.

Richard Blaine
03-01-2006, 12:35 AM
If you want me to get the official list of what deems a place HD vs Ground simply let me know and I’ll see if I can dig that up for you.

If you could dig those rules up, I'd appreciate it. We live on a commercial farm, but I always thought the business rate was for businesses in business parks or stores. Perhaps, we've been short changing ourselves.

Bruce Wrenn
03-01-2006, 10:56 PM
When did BNSF (Burlington Northern/ Sante Fe Railroad) sell Overnite Transportation?

Brian Parker
03-02-2006, 2:15 PM
Bruce,

UPS bought/announced that they were going to buy Overnite around the middle of May in 2005.

Richard,

Below is what I was able to dig up. If you are indeed a true commercial entity and you are payin the residentail fees, talk to your driver or call the customer service people. Ususally the driver will know more than the customer service people.

I hope this helps and is what you were looking for.

Brian

Anyways here is a quick crash course:
-----------------------------------------
Residential (Home Delivery) vs. Commercial (Ground) Classification/Clarification

If the delivery is to:
A business w/a residence @ the same location and the business is in:
-The SAME Building, then it is Residential (HD)
-A DIFFERENT Building then it is Commercial (Ground)

Examples for both of these may include:
-Ranch
-Dentist or Doctor office
-Veterinarian office
-Insurance agent
-Repair or retail shop
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

If the delivery is to:
A Residence where recipient sells/distributes items such as Avon, Tupperware, etc. and use their home as a base:
-Then it is Residential (HD)
If the delivery is to:
-An apartment
-Condominium
-College dorm
-Nursing home
If the delivery is to:
A business location converted from a residence where nobody lives:
-Then it is Commercial (Ground)

If the delivery is to:
-Funeral home
-Prison
-Fire house
-Church
If the delivery is to:
-A rectory
-Parsonage
-Convent

Jay T. Marlin
03-02-2006, 2:30 PM
If the delivery is to:
-Funeral home
-Prison
-Fire house
-Church

Ah, perfect.

:eek:

Gary Curtis
03-02-2006, 6:41 PM
FedEx freight delivered 1000 lbs of machinery to my door for $273. The move was about 650 miles. It was $25 extra for the lift gate truck and $25 additional to have a pallet jack. The going rate for freight is between 25-50 cents a pound. Residential delivery with FedEx added about $15.

The low price I got took advantage of the discount given to the tool dealer. My table saw alone weighed 740 lbs, so if I were choosing where to buy, I would factor in what kind of shipping savings any particular dealer offers.

Gary Curtis

Dennis McDonaugh
03-02-2006, 8:36 PM
I have had terrible service from Overnite. Stay away from them if you can.

Tim Morton
03-02-2006, 8:58 PM
Yes, I noticed that as I look into it. Any idea on average costs? I can buy the BS for about 200$ but I dont want the shipping to go much over 80, as the seller is willing to crate for 75$ Is 80
$ a pipe dream?

When I ordered my 14" delta bandsaw last year from Redmunds, The Top only cost me $110 in shipping from atlanta to vermont...and I bet they get a MUCH lower rate than you will. I expect top and base to run well over $200. Is this bandsaw you are considering buying american made? If not, I would consider buying a new grizzly.

Bill Fields
03-03-2006, 12:44 AM
All--

Very valuable info--perhaps a new category of info?. Shipping has become (for heavy stuff) a significant portion of the cost of a machine.

Also, Michael Ballent, reports of good/bad service are extremely valuable.

Administrators:

Can we get a category of :
-Good/Bad Customer service reports (disclaimers for sure)
-Shiping costs, and how to minimize/avoid

Bill

Julio Navarro
03-03-2006, 8:31 AM
good idea!