PDA

View Full Version : McFeely's question

Rob Blaustein
02-28-2006, 8:57 AM
I want to buy an assortment of screws but I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices. I know people really like the square drive screws from McFeely's but I'm not sure which ones to get. There's unplated dry lube, clear zinc, yellow zinc, etc (here's the page (http://www.mcfeelys.com/flath_assort.asp)). Any advice?

Size question--I've only used #6 and #8 screws so far--what sort of applications would #10 screws be used for?

And lastly--I've only used the Kreg pocket hole screws. Has anyone compared them to McFeely's version and if so, is there a difference? In general I'm satisfied with the Kreg screws, but I have had to adjust the bit depth (a little deeper than recommended with the 1.25" screws) when using plywood to avoid problems with the screws not catching well.

JayStPeter
02-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Rob,

I've used black oxide and unplated in WWing applications without any problems. I chose black oxide first because I was used to that with drywall screws. Unplated is pretty similar.
The paper catalog has a description of each type. The differences are looks and rust resistance. There seems to be a pretty straight forward correlation between price and rust resistance.

I'm not an expert on screw diameters, but I've used #10s for heavy applications such as hanging my lumber rack shelf standards. For WW applications, I tend to stay with #6 unless there will be some load bearing aspect, then I go with the largest screws that seem reasonable.

I've been happy with Kreg screws (and the easy availability at Lowes), so I haven't used any McFeely screws in pocket hole applications. I have bought a number of boxes of McFeely washer head screws though and they are good quality. For some reason I go through #8x3/4" like crazy in those.

Jay

PeterTorresani
02-28-2006, 12:59 PM
I purchased a sample pack from them - #6 x 3/4" thru 2-1/2". I am not positive, but pretty sure that they are uncoated. I think that this is a nice way to try their screws if you want to see if you like them. I've since replenished the 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" since those are my most common sizes.

I have also purchased their "No-Co_Rode" deck screw and was very happy with them. I would choose SST next time to avoid the staining, but that's a separate issue.

Without sounding like an ad for McFeely's, square drive is the best way to go.

Larry Norton
02-28-2006, 1:23 PM
Rob, I have several different sizes and types of McFeeleys screws. I always use the black oxide. They're a great company, I've never had a problem in 15 years.

While you're ordering, get some of their washer head screws. I use them all the time for attaching tops to cabinets.

Ted Shrader
02-28-2006, 1:24 PM
Rob –

I keep boxes on the mid range sizes #6, #8 from ¾”, 1”, 1¼”, 1¾”, 2” of the unplated variety. I keep smaller brass ones #4 - ½” for hinges.

Haven’t ordered their pocket hole screws yet, but based on past experience with McFeeley screws, they are the ones I will use.

Ted

Matt Meiser
02-28-2006, 2:32 PM
I bought one of the starter kits with various sizes of #6-#10 screws. Since then I've bought as needed to add additional sizes I needed and refill what I've used. The #10's don't get used much, but they are nice to have for when I do need one.

David Duke
02-28-2006, 2:53 PM
I use their un-plated screws for the vast majority of work that I do, these go in places that will never be seen so I don't worry about variations in color. As Larry said I think you will also benefit if you get some of the washer head screws, they have a lot of uses, I get these in the black oxide coating since at times they will be exposed.

I have tried their "Super 8" pocket hole screws (you are suppose to be able to use them in hard and soft woods) and wasn't real satisfied with them and went back to the Kreg screws, however if you were to go with the standard coarse/fine screws of McFeelys they may be comparable to the Kreg.

Rob Blaustein
03-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Thanks to all. I just ordered the You do it variety pack as well as a few other things.

Jim Becker
03-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I've been using the yellow zinc versions lately, largely because I tend to grab the same screws for many things outside of furniture building, too. It almost doesn't matter for furniture work designed for interior use, so whatever version is lowest cost should be fine.