PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Morris Chair

Ken DeMarco
08-02-2003, 9:53 PM
Hello all,
Well here is my first attempt at something that resembles furniture, It is an outdoor Morris Chair from plans published in Wood magazine a few issues ago, The plan called for pine, but since I had just gotten a lot of white oak real cheap I used that instead, then I could not stand to paint it so I put on 3 coats of exterior oil polyurethane. Now that it is finished my wife would not let me put it outside so it is now in the living room awaiting cushions. This is my first attempt also at posting a picture, I hope the file is not to big
Thanks
Ken

Jim Young
08-02-2003, 10:35 PM
That looks great Ken. Your wife couldn't be giving you a better compliment by keeping it inside.

Ken Garlock
08-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Keep it inside, its too nice for the Ohio elements to attack. Looks like a good chair for reading the paper or watchng TV.

Very nice work....

Bob Lasley
08-02-2003, 11:17 PM
Ken,

By all means, don't let this be your last attempt at something that resembles furniture, because that beautiful chair reallllllly resembles furniture. You did a great job. I wouldn't put it outside either!

Bob

Todd Burch
08-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Keep the chair inside. Put the cat out.

Todd.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-02-2003, 11:53 PM
Not to be a traitor Ken, but I have to agree with the Mrs. on this one! That chair is WAY TOO NICE to be put outside! Great work, and it looks great in Oak. I have a feeling if you put it outside, sooner or later the Chair will end up INSIDE and YOU will be OUTSIDE! :D Great work, and I have to say that your chair looks WAY better than the one in Wood Mag. VERY nice work, and kudos for resisting the urge to paint it. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us..........I would say you are on the right track! ;)

Bruce Page
08-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Excellent job Ken. If that is your first attempt at something that resembles furniture, then your next piece will be stunning! Post some pic’s when you get the cushions done.

Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy. -- Groucho Marx

Ken DeMarco
08-03-2003, 1:14 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments!! So far 8 people have seen the chair, other than those on this board, and everybody seems to like it. but everytime I look at it I see all the glaring errors and goofs. I know from past experience after a long while I won't notice them as much. It's a good thing I like building stuff so much, because I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied with the results. All in all, this project has been quite the learning experience, and a big thanks to ALL on this board for the answers to questions along the way

Thanks

Phil Phelps
08-03-2003, 2:36 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments!! So far 8 people have seen the chair, other than those on this board, and everybody seems to like it. but everytime I look at it I see all the glaring errors and goofs. I know from past experience after a long while I won't notice them as much. It's a good thing I like building stuff so much, because I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied with the results. All in all, this project has been quite the learning experience, and a big thanks to ALL on this board for the answers to questions along the way

Thanks
Yep, you are your own worst critic. That's good. With practice, you'll learn to hide the hickeys :D Great job, just the same.

John Christiansen
08-03-2003, 2:38 PM
but everytime I look at it I see all the glaring errors and goofs. I know from past experience after a long while I won't notice them as much.
Thanks

We are always, our own worst critics. That's a good thing, it makes us try harder the next time. And it won't take a "long while" for you to quit noticing those "glaring errors" and "goofs". They're just little divots in the learning curve.

I have to agree with the others, that chair needs to stay inside. too nice looking to be left out in the elements.

Bring us up to speed with some more pics, when you get the cushions.

Rob Overton
08-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Hello all,
Well here is my first attempt at something that resembles furniture, It is an outdoor Morris Chair from plans published in Wood magazine a few issues ago, The plan called for pine, but since I had just gotten a lot of white oak real cheap I used that instead, then I could not stand to paint it so I put on 3 coats of exterior oil polyurethane. Now that it is finished my wife would not let me put it outside so it is now in the living room awaiting cushions. This is my first attempt also at posting a picture, I hope the file is not to big
Thanks
Ken
Your wife is correct ..... AGAIN....... It deserves the house.

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-04-2003, 4:43 PM
I agree with the others, it's way too nice to put outside. You would have to paint it - yuk! Get some nice thick compfy cushions and relax in it's charm.
You did a wonderful job on it.
Daniel