PDA

View Full Version : Best Substrate/Glue for Upcoming Veneer Project

Jon Farley
02-28-2006, 7:40 AM
I will be attempting my first veneer job in the coming weeks. I plan to attach 3/16" veneer panels (red oak) to a 3/4" substrate. I also plan on banding the edges as well. My first question is this. What should I use for the substrate, MDF or baltic birch? I am most concerned about gluing on the oak edge banding and which of these two have better glue-up qualities along their edges.

Also, what type of adhesive should I use along the edges? How about on the top of the substrate? As you can tell I am a veneering rookie.

Chris Barton
02-28-2006, 7:45 AM
Lots of variables in this question. First, what kind of project is this and why have you chosen to glue red oak veneer to a substrate rather than use red oak veneer plywood? Second, you will need to veneer all pieces front and back to keep the veneer balanced, have you prepared for this? I personally like MDF for veneer lay ups. Baltic would be too good for this purpose (no better than MDF and 10 times as expensive. Give us a bit more detail about your project.

tod evans
02-28-2006, 8:10 AM
jon, by using 3/16 veneers you give yourself the freedom to use plain ol` yellow glue. either bb or mdf will work for your substraight i just prefer baltic...02 tod

Charlie Kocourek
02-28-2006, 9:29 AM
I think MDF is more stable than plywood, yes even bb plywood. Good luck on your project and have fun!

Jon Farley
02-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Lots of variables in this question. First, what kind of project is this and why have you chosen to glue red oak veneer to a substrate rather than use red oak veneer plywood? Second, you will need to veneer all pieces front and back to keep the veneer balanced, have you prepared for this? I personally like MDF for veneer lay ups. Baltic would be too good for this purpose (no better than MDF and 10 times as expensive. Give us a bit more detail about your project.

Chris, I apologize for the lack of background info. Here is a link to one of my posts that should answer your questions (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32032). As far as plywood goes, it is just my personal preference not to use it for the top of this important project, though I will be using it in other less prominant areas...Jon