PDA

View Full Version : Vote for the fate of this piece of wood.....

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-28-2006, 5:17 AM
OK, I have this piece of wood, I' thinking it might have a bowl in it, or it could make some nice pen blanks......or the fire wood pile.... :eek:

Vote in the poll

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/feb_27/wood_1a.jpg http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/feb_27/wood_1b.jpg

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/feb_27/wood_1c.jpg http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/feb_27/wood_1d.jpg

It is around 8" wide, 12" long and 4" thick, the wood is Keyaki.
So what do you think.......??

Cheers!

Karl Laustrup
02-28-2006, 5:40 AM
That's some interesting grain in there. NO FIREWOOD!

Does this mean the lathe parts are soon to be arriving? :)

Karl

02-28-2006, 6:01 AM
Tomorrow, if I'm lucky, or the day after.

Of course, I'm busy like all heck this week.

I got in nearly 60 case of wine, they all have to be price, tagged and put away.

I have a buddy coming in for a month from Canada, he is staying at one of our old apartments, so I have to run over a fridge, washing machine, heater, bed, pots, pans etc for him to use, as well as get the electricity and the gas turned on.

We have a new tenant in another building, she does not speak Japanese, so have to go with her to the real estate guys and get her signed up.

My kids have this huge performance this week, they are in a city choir, they are singing with some boys choir from Germany (I think) so we have like 3 practices to send and pick the kids up from.

My lovely wife is heading out for two days to our liquor group's AGM, so she is gone, which means I have to take care of the kids and work my arse off........

Thus, I doubt I'm going to get any time on the lathe until maybe, MAYBE Sunday....... (hope it rains!!) :D

Cheers!

John Hart
02-28-2006, 7:14 AM
I think you have your priorities all mixed up Stu. The lady can find her own way around and the kids can take care of themselves. Wine doesn't need to be tagged or shelved...just set it out where people can grab it and leave a bowl where they can put their money. Easy. ;)

If it were me....And I voted for it to be me......I'd cut a blank that centers that knot and mount it up so that the foot is on the opposite side and make a bowl or HF. The wood really has a lot going on there.....Should be spectacular!!:)

Larry Klaaren
02-28-2006, 7:26 AM
Oh . . . make a bowl. Then you'll have something for people to leave their money in, so you have time to make more bowls and Itty-Bitty's. You can use the money to pay a taxi for the kids to get to their choir session, resulting in more time and more money. Makes sense to me.

I know you want to use the lathe. If you can do in inlay or segmented bowl, it looks like beautiful wood for something like that. I actually see an awesome jewelry box in that piece of wood, depending on the size of it, for your wife or daughter (if you have a daughter). Don't have a plan for a turned jewelry box, but someone probably does.:D

Larry

P.S. I've really thought about this, and I can't figure out what an HF is. I don't think you mean Harbor Freight all the time. The veterinary forum I monitor has a "Table of Abbreviations" on the home page. Something like that might help dolts like me.

John Hart
02-28-2006, 7:36 AM
...P.S. I've really thought about this, and I can't figure out what an HF is. I don't think you mean Harbor Freight all the time. The veterinary forum I monitor has a "Table of Abbreviations" on the home page. Something like that might help dolts like me.

Hollow Form, Larry....Hollow Form ;) :)

Gary Max
02-28-2006, 7:40 AM
Stu they folks are just making to much work for you. After reading the list of things to do I have decide the best thing you could do is send the wood to me. I will post pics of all the great pens I will make from it. This will free up enough of your time to get pots and play taxi cab. I would not do for just anyone but in your case it would be my pleasure. Please ship express mail I do not want to wait a month on it to arrive.

02-28-2006, 8:53 AM
Hollow Form, Larry....Hollow Form ;) :)

Huh, I thought it meant, with relations to the skills involved, "Hard as F_ _ _ " :D

So you want me to cut it how...?

The pith from the branch does not go all the way through, so if I center the top of the bowl on the knot, and the bottom is knot less, it should be OK...?

Cheers!

David Fried
02-28-2006, 8:58 AM
Stu,

Listen to the poll. Turn 58% of it into bowls and send 25% to Connecticut!
Seriously, it looks nice - turn it. Somehow. Anyhow.

Dave Fried

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2006, 9:04 AM
[QUOTE=John Hart]I think you have your priorities all mixed up Stu. The lady can find her own way around and the kids can take care of themselves. Wine doesn't need to be tagged or shelved...just set it out where people can grab it and leave a bowl where they can put their money. Easy. ;)

See John...........this alone is justification for a horsey! It'd entertain the kids, create burls, fertize the trees........

02-28-2006, 9:10 AM
I think you have your priorities all mixed up Stu. The lady can find her own way around and the kids can take care of themselves. Wine doesn't need to be tagged or shelved...just set it out where people can grab it and leave a bowl where they can put their money. Easy. ;)
See John...........this alone is justification for a horsey! It'd entertain the kids, create burls, fertize the trees........
Ya John, think Horses..... :D EASY!!! :D:D

John Hart
02-28-2006, 9:10 AM
...So you want me to cut it how...?

The pith from the branch does not go all the way through, so if I center the top of the bowl on the knot, and the bottom is knot less, it should be OK...?

Yup...what I'm thinking is that you'll effectively remove the knot by hollowing out the bowl but retain all the surrounding beauty...and as an added benefit, the foot will not have a knot....preventing inevitable cracks. Does that make sense? If not...Send it to Ohio (not Connecticut);) :D

John Hart
02-28-2006, 9:11 AM
Horse stuff gets into everything....don't it?:p

02-28-2006, 9:16 AM
Horse stuff gets into everything....don't it?:p

........Neigh......!!! :D

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2006, 9:46 AM
Stu you could just send it to Kansas. I will post a picture when I am finished.:D I think a bowl as John described would do just fine.

Andy Hoyt
02-28-2006, 9:50 AM
I would definitely use this wood in your quest to go bowling. Taking the lead from our own Dutch Master Mr.Dr. Larry Klaaren I suggest you dust off the Log Hog and rip it into two pieces 12" long x 4" x 4". Then grab a sharpened exacto knife and convert each piece into a hallowed form that all will worship. Said form should resemble a shoe. Put one on each foot, head down to your friendly neighborhood bowl-a-rama and throw balls at pins. You will be the talk of the town.

Conversely, you could turn a concave or convex shape that would work really well for a liter of Ginger Ice Cream. Suggest that side 1C is the bottom of said concave shape - or the top - if it's convex. Gee, this is getting awkward trying to explain all this upside down stuff since you're way around the other side and are actually somewhere underneath me as I write this.

Bob Noles
02-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Stu....

Cut it up into many many blanks and send one to each of your friends at SCM :D

02-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Stu....

Cut it up into many many blanks and send one to each of your friends at SCM :D

Ya if I cut that up, I'd sure have a lot of friends eh...? ;) :D

Got lots more to do that with, just got to find some time.....

Cheers!

Dick Strauss
02-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Stu,
I'd try to make a 8x8x4 bowl blank out it while centering the oval swirl in that piece. Then take about 2.5-3" from at least one end to be used for another bowl blank (4x4x2.5) or a bunch of pen blanks. What can I say, I like bowls since I don't have a deep hollowing system yet. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will turn out great!

Ron Ainge
02-28-2006, 3:19 PM
Stu, I would center the knot on a glue block and make that the bottom of a nice bowl. I would then turn it as thin as I felt I could manage and then finish it with CA glue to try to keep it form checking. I think that would make a bueatuful bowl. Whatever you do I know it will be right.

Larry Klaaren
02-28-2006, 5:22 PM
Hey Mr. Andy Hoyt! There's Dutchier people than me on this forum. Won't mention any names, but I'd at least be suspicious of people whose names end in ----stra. My wife had the same last name. I don't know for sure that she's related to the afore non-mentioned person who shares one of my callings, but the same first names also run in the family.:)

I'm never sure if it's "You aint much if you aint Dutch," or "The Norwegians aren't much but they're better than the Dutch." Depends where in Minnesota I happened to be living at the time.

Stu - if you send that wood to me, I can glue it up with some other piece and get at least one shoe for some of the big ole flat feet around our family. There's probably enough wood around somewhere to make the other one. Never so many feet bigger than size fifteen in my life before I met my wife. I wear a size seven and a half, but I usually say they are size eight.

Larry

Lee DeRaud
02-28-2006, 5:35 PM
Cut it up into many many blanks and send one to each of your friends at SCM :DOne more for the acronym file: "AWD" = "Woodturners Against Dyslexia".:p

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-28-2006, 6:33 PM
If you Burn THAT, You know YOU will surely BURN in you know where.

Seriously, it looks like you can get a bowl out of the middle and some great pen blanks from the ends.

Bruce

David Fried
02-28-2006, 9:36 PM
Ya if I cut that up, I'd sure have a lot of friends eh...? ;) :D

Fine! Keep the wood, send the wine! :D

Dave Fried