PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Bowl Finished

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Here is a 3rd bowl I started and finished tonight. It is out of walnut. It was dry and I really couldn't believe how hard it was. Anyway got it finished and getting a little faster. The fit and finish on this was was a whole lot better. The bottom I thought turned out great. Concaved it slightly and no wobble. Anyway what do you think?

Bill Stevener
02-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Very, very nice bowl Bernie. The finish looks great, you sure are coming along now.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Bernie..........You are rockin! From an experience challenged turner to bowl turner..........in how many weeks?.......Wow. Great bowl! Great wood! Great finish! How are you finishing them anyway?

Corey Hallagan
02-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Thats a beauty Bernie, my favorite of your bowls so far. The sap wood in that walnut mixed in for a cool look. Nice finish too! Excellent buddy!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2006, 1:13 AM
Ken since these are mainly for the wife for like candy dishes, etc. I have been sanding them to 600 grit and finishing them with Mylands Friction Polish. Since she will have them on the table I will also put 3 coats of lacquer on them.

Ken I also got this wood off the auction place from a guy in Payette, Idaho.

Thanks for the comments everyone. This one really turned out nice. Bottom turned out good and I did what Gary DeWitt said used mineral spirits to see any gouge marks, etc. Worked out nice.

Earl Eyre
02-28-2006, 1:49 AM
Looks great. I sure wish my 3rd bowl would have been that nice!
Earl

Barry Stratton
02-28-2006, 2:09 AM
That is absolutely awesome and I like that sapwood on the edges. Can't believe how quickly you are moving forward. WOW.

Excuse me while I go out in the garage and pull some wire so I can play with my lathe.............

Karl Laustrup
02-28-2006, 5:50 AM
Beautiful bowl Bernie. Keep 'em coming.

Karl

John Hart
02-28-2006, 7:24 AM
All I can say is "You are a natural Bernie!"

Nice nice nice!:)

Jim Dunn
02-28-2006, 8:00 AM
Really nice bowl Bernie. Fill-er up with M&M"s and send it my way.

Dick Parr
02-28-2006, 8:13 AM
That's really looking good Bernie.

John Miliunas
02-28-2006, 8:31 AM
Way, way nice, Bernie!!! Love the form and the finish looks great! I have personally found Walnut to be a real bear to do and you did that one justice! :) Great job! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2006, 8:41 AM
Uh Jim.........When Andy sees this......he'll argue to fill it up with ice cream!

David Fried
02-28-2006, 9:07 AM
SLOW DOWN BERNIE!!! It looks great but you're getting too far ahead of the rest of us! I have a couple of Black Walnut logs laying around the backyard - I wonder if they can be salvaged? Hmmm...

Dave Fried

Mark Cothren
02-28-2006, 9:16 AM
Looks great to me, Bernie! Nice work! Great piece of wood. I like the shape of the bowl and the finish looks good.

Thanks for the pictures!

Garry Smith
02-28-2006, 9:19 AM
Great bowl Bernie, Your wright it looks like the botton did turn out good.

doug webb
02-28-2006, 9:32 AM
Great bowl Bernie! Andy, look it is already choclate and vanilla. Love the finish, makes you want to hold it. Thanks

Andy Hoyt
02-28-2006, 9:33 AM
Ordinarily, I suppose that this vessel might possibly be best utilized as a container for a scoop or three of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. However, upon reflection I find that Mrs. Weishapl is correct. The way the lip is formed it makes it awkward to dredge up those precious last few melted puddles of ecstasy; but that same deficiency has an upside that allows one to properly and safely clutch a handful of candy and maintain positive control over said handful as your fingers depart contact with the sidewalls.

Therefore, in my humble estimation, I deem this vessel up to the challenge of proper presentation of M&M Peanuts, Chuckles, Dots, or Goobers. A slightly less steep sidewall would have made this one perfect for Necco Wafers - but hey! Bernie's new at this - he'll learn.

Oh yeah - Nice bowl Bernie!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2006, 9:40 AM
Thanks again for all the nice comments. As I said this wood was hard but it was well worth the effort. I appreciate it.

Glenn Hodges
02-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Now Bernie that is a beartiful bowl. Good looking shape, wood, and finish.

Rich Stewart
02-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Thats a great looking bowl. I really like the look of that wood. Walnut is a favorite of mine. I guess because that was the very first wood I ever turned. Neighbor gave me a couple sticks of 2 x 2 x36 to practice on. I like the way it turns and finishes. Nice work. Keep 'em comin'.

Don Orr
02-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Bernie, if that is only your 3rd bowl you are well on your way to great fun in turning. Great shape, wood, finish-everything. Love the sapwood too.
Super job all around !:D

Ron Ainge
02-28-2006, 1:07 PM
Bernie, congrats on the third bowl, I think that you are coming along great. I like the form of the bowl but I am concerned about the friction polish that you put on it. When I first started turning I used the friction polish on all of my small projects becasue it gave me a quick shine to my finished. I later found out that the finish does not last in this area, it seems to loose it's luster after a few days. I know that you live in the same climate that I do so I hope you have better success with it than I did. I now finish all of my project by sealing them with a 50/50 mixture of Lacquer sanding sealer and Lacquer thinner. On small items I then use a padding Lacquer named Qualasol applied with a paper towl and spun like the friction polish. The hotter you get this product the higher the luster you will have with it. For larger items I finish them using any other normal finish like wax, oils, Lacquers and ect. I hope this helps you and keep up the good work.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2006, 1:42 PM
Ron I put a about 3 coats of lacquer on them a day or two after I finish them. So far it seems to be holding up well. I am going to try some BLO with lacquer and see what it looks like. Just experimenting now. There is just something about the Deft Lacquer that I like. When I start making the salad bowls and other bowls I am going to try a some different finishes on them so they can be used for eating.

Keith Burns
02-28-2006, 5:51 PM
Wow Bernie, I find it hard to believe this is only your third bowl ! I think you are a natural for this spinny stuff:) :) . Nice form and finish:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-28-2006, 6:27 PM
Super..........................Super.............. ..................Super. Nuff Said!

Bruce

Ed Scolforo
02-28-2006, 6:42 PM
Bernie: You nailed it!!

Ernie Nyvall
02-28-2006, 8:10 PM
Wow Bernie!! Nice bowl. I like the rolled lip. You are really coming along fast.

Ernie