PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Cherry? Bowl

John Hart
02-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi all. Maybe I'm crazy...but has anyone heard of Ambrosia Cherry? I know this wood is Cherry....The coloration, the way it turned, the grain pattern...etc. This is cherry. But, there is an Ambrosia stain with an Ambrosia Beetle bore hole that is unmistakeable. Isn't this unusual? Or do I have a Cherry-Lookalike piece of Maple?

Oh...The bowl is 8.5" in diameter, stands 4.5" Tall, and it is finished with blonde Shellac and French Polished.

Jim Ketron
02-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Looks Like Cherry, looks like Ambrosia marking to me!
I say its Ambrosia Cherry!
Nice Bowl John!

Mark Cothren
02-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Great wood, John! And that's a great bowl, too! I really like that form. Very nice curl, and unique ambrosia markings.

Thanks for the pictures!

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Normally, I'd say something all the lines of, "walks like a duck.....". But if it's coming out of the labs at The Clevetown School of Equine Acquisition and Laquerterian Effects, then I guess I'd better not.

In the meantime, I'll just say, ""Cool! Nice One! Bravo!" and all that stuff.

doug webb
02-28-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't know about the wood but I know I like the bowl. Shape, color, everything..More please

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2006, 12:39 AM
John that is a nice looking bowl. Great work. Looks like about a 4 dipper of dark sweet cherry ice cream for ya John.

Bill Stevener
02-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Very unique form John. Could have been a beetle, I have never seen that effect in cherry. I'll ask around. There is a beetle that bores in to the pine and has somewhat the same effect.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dennis Peacock
02-28-2006, 1:14 AM
Very Nice John!!!!!!!!! Ambrosia Cherry? Only you can find such a rare looking wood.!!!:p :D

Great work....!!! Keep'em coming.:D

Barry Stratton
02-28-2006, 2:18 AM
All your stuff is pretty impressive, but this one - WOW. Stunningly awesome.......

Chris Barton
02-28-2006, 6:45 AM
Hi John,

Great looking piece! Since the "Ambrosia" effect is really just bug excreta then, I guess any "worm trail" in wood = ambrosia...

John Miliunas
02-28-2006, 8:04 AM
First and foremost, that's a great looking bowl, John! I like the form and, as usual, your finish is great! :) As for the flavor of the wood, it's obviously Amcherrosia! :D Sheeeesh...Gotta' teach you kids everything!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Jim Dunn
02-28-2006, 8:09 AM
Think how many cherry trees and to give up their limbs to find the only piece of ambrosia in the whole forest. Or did you look for the small roll of tp and cut there?

Nice bowl John!

Dick Parr
02-28-2006, 8:11 AM
Very nice John, I love the shape and that does look like ambrosia markings.

Dennis Peacock
02-28-2006, 9:16 AM
As for the flavor of the wood, it's obviously Amcherrosia! :D Sheeeesh...Gotta' teach you kids everything!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

OH!!!!! Sorry John, but we don't have any Amcherrosia around these parts, but we do have some Haroakuhmus though. :p :p :rolleyes: :D

Chris DiCiaccio
02-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Man John, are you trying to win an award? That looks great! Beautiful piece.

John Hart
02-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks y'all! Your comments are appreciated.

I really like the look of this wood. After I roughed it out, it dried into the shape of a football. It was oblong and cupped so I had to turn a lot of wood away to get it back to round. In the end, it really showed its beauty though.

By the way...I really like French Polishing. Learned the technique the other night on the DIY channel.....some guy that likes to make guitars for some reason.:rolleyes: Anyway...the finish is pleasureable and I don't need a respirator. (but I keep a can of lacquer near by in case I need a fix.:D )

Keith Burns
02-28-2006, 5:55 PM
Great bowl John !! I really like the form :) :)

Ernie Nyvall
02-28-2006, 8:57 PM
Okay, I've had that form in my head and tried it a couple of times and just haven't come through. You really nailed what I got in my head so I know it can be done. Nice form John.

Looks like ambrosia cherry to me.

Ernie