PDA

View Full Version : woods that go with makore

Roger Barga
02-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I am looking for suggestions on woods that compliment or go with Makore.

I called a lumber yard on the east coast to order some cherry and ended up buying 40+ bf of figured makore. Sounds like beautiful stuff and I can't wait to see it (I'll post a photo when it arrives). However, not having seen or worked with Makore before I have no idea what other woods compliment it or blend in well with it. My original plan for ordering the cherry was to build a dining room sideboard, and given the Makore is figured I'll probably use it for the top and drawer fronts. So, I'd like to find another wood for the frame, legs and sides. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

Steve Rowe
02-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Roger,
I have used Makore with Honduras Mahogany and it matches well.
Steve

Tom Jones III
02-28-2006, 9:03 AM
I made a demilune with tiger makore for the apron and walnut for the top, legs, and a small molding under the apron. It looks pretty good but LOML put just a little stain on the walnut to darken it further to give more contrast.

Dave Avery
02-28-2006, 8:01 PM
Roger,

The link below shows a picture of a table I made with figured makore and mahogany..... All the best. Dave.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4399&highlight=makore+hall+table

Keith Christopher
02-28-2006, 10:01 PM
IMHO there are lots of options, I would simply stay away from anything that closely matches in color. I would also keep the accent wood s straight grained wood.