PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

Pete Jordan
02-27-2006, 9:04 PM
Hi there,

I am new to woodturning but am so excited I can't stand it. In the last month I have gone from looking at a mini lathe to ordering the new Grizzly G0456 to canceling the order (due to reading posts) to ordering the PM3520B today. My head is still spinning. I want to thank the people in this group for their wonderful opinions. I have been lurking to find info and the advice has been wonderful. The talent in this group is tremendous.

Pete
Mason Michigan

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 9:09 PM
Okay. So Pete, ya gotta understand that saying hello for the first time and indicating (at the same time) the impending arrival of just about anything mustard in color is going to get you huge amounts of points with just about everybody in this place. Except from Travis, Gary, Jim, Cecil, Hector, Jason, Gordon, Mark, Barney, Ernie, and .......your name here................ that is.

Aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm dying here:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2006, 9:13 PM
Pete.........Welcome to the Creek! You'll have to excuse Andy......He's Oneway about some things! I mean....if it isn't white it isn't right! PMs are yellow, Grizzley are green, etc. I argued against these folks for a couple of months so they just pushed me into the Abyss! And.....Andy's the ringleader....beware! BTW.....a gloat isn't official without a photo! Welcome to the Creek!

Travis Stinson
02-27-2006, 9:22 PM
Oh Yeaaaa! welcome aboard Pete. I can already see what a fine, upstanding man you are.:D Pics ASAP!

Corey Hallagan
02-27-2006, 9:28 PM
SWEEEEEET! You can do some kewl stuff with that! Welcome to the black hole, and get the pocket book ready, your just starting!

Corey

Bob Noles
02-27-2006, 9:33 PM
Welcome to the black hole Pete. Sure looks like you are entering this forum first class.

You already have Andy eating his heart out over the yellow beast :p

Stick around and have fun and with us. Just don't take anything too serious around these parts. Everyone here is about half crazy, but you just about have to be to associate yourself with us :eek:

Try to behave when the "Johhny Mod's" are around, but you can cut lose when they check in for bed. Just clean the mess up before they get up the next morning :D

Jim Dunn
02-27-2006, 9:56 PM
Pete welcome to the Mustard hole. It's gotta be more expensive to turn on mustard than mayo. Just ask Andy.

John Hart
02-27-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't have Mustard OR Mayo....But I like my cave anyways!:p

Welcome to the Creek Pete!....And to this Vortex. Spin on in!!!:) :) :)

Cecil Arnold
02-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Pete, welcome to the creek. I know it broke Andy's heart (we assume he has one) to say something nice to one of the mustard crowd, being he's a mayo kind of guy. Seriously, it's a great place with a nice bunch of folks (both guys and gals [where the heck are you Carole?]) who will be happy to share their experience, ideas and opinions with you.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Slip slidin' away...............................welcome Pete.

Bruce

Keith Christopher
02-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Welcome ! Can't wait to see some of the turnings !!! Mustard huh ? Well I guess there is more than "one-way" to turn.

Ernie Nyvall
02-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Welcome Pete. You'll have to excuse Andy. He hates his own lathe, and likes to diss us mustard folks.:D But of course he did inspire us all to come together for a good cause.

And John, from his so called cave/lab, experiments to the benefit of us all with his concoctions and ideas for contests... another true INSPIRATOR.

Oh, by the way, nice gloat.

Ernie

Mark Cothren
02-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Welcome Pete! Man, when you jump in you just jump on in!!!

Can't wait to see some pics of your new lathe and some of your work!

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Okay, I acknowledge that the need for a picture does exist. But jeez! It's not like you guys don't know what this thing looks like.

So Pete, I suggest you paint it white before the big photo op. :p

doug webb
02-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Welcome Pete......Not all see yellow or white but cool shades of grey. warning though......THere is a full moon round here ALL THE TIME

Charlie Plesums
02-28-2006, 12:22 AM
I have gone from looking at a mini lathe to ordering the new Grizzly G0456 to canceling the order (due to reading posts) to ordering the PM3520B today.
Welcome to the group.

But if you really are a beginner, don't you think you ought to loan the PM3520 to someone more experienced to break it in...check it out? You wouldn't give a new driver a porche, would you? Or a big BMW, or... you know. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who would be glad to check out that lathe and store it for you until you get a few years experience.

Bill Stevener
02-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi Pete,

Welcome to the wild and crazy. What else did you order to play that big fiddle with??

Just plug her in and have a ball. Slowly;)

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Welcome Pete, join the rest of us newbie's and of course the one and only Andy. Lots of good people here and lots of knowledge.

John Bailey
02-28-2006, 5:03 AM
Pete,

Welcome to the Creek. If your head is already spinning, you're gonna' fit right in with this crowd.

John

Pete Jordan
02-28-2006, 5:10 AM
Hi Pete,

Welcome to the wild and crazy. What else did you order to play that big fiddle with??

Just plug her in and have a ball. Slowly;)

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Thank you all for being so kind!

I did call Oneway before ordering the PM. I asked them if they had any 2436s laying around they wanted to get rid of cheap. After they were done laughing at me they let me exchange my adapter for the Stronghold chuck I have received already. Along with the chuck I purchased: the Jumbo jaws and the #1 and #2 jaws, the Wolverine sharpening system with skew and varigrind jigs, the Sorby 6 tool set, Bill Grumbie DVD along with three Richard Raffin DVDS and two of his books and a few other books.
Hey! This is starting to add up!
I forgot the add the 8" grinder from Woodcraft.

Pete

tod evans
02-28-2006, 7:43 AM
welcome pete!

Dick Parr
02-28-2006, 8:15 AM
Welcome to the Creek Pete and Congrats on the new lathe.

John Miliunas
02-28-2006, 8:25 AM
Thank you all for being so kind!

I did call Oneway before ordering the PM. I asked them if they had any 2436s laying around they wanted to get rid of cheap. After they were done laughing at me they let me exchange my adapter for the Stronghold chuck I have received already. Along with the chuck I purchased: the Jumbo jaws and the #1 and #2 jaws, the Wolverine sharpening system with skew and varigrind jigs, the Sorby 6 tool set, Bill Grumbie DVD along with three Richard Raffin DVDS and two of his books and a few other books.
Hey! This is starting to add up!
I forgot the add the 8" grinder from Woodcraft.

Pete

Holy smokes, Pete!!! You apparently didn't just kind of "fall" into the vortex, nor even "pulled" into it! I'm thinking you had turbo-boosters strapped to your back and point dead center into this wonderful hole we call "Turning"!!! :D Man, you got yourself some setup going there! Welcome. Welcome to the world of turning but, even more so, welcome to SMC, which is almost a vortex unto itself!!! :D Oh yeah: Two more things. 1) These guys are real, real serious about the pics!!! 2) What Andy and some of the others seem to forget is, "mustard yellow" is not only relegated to PM!!! My Vega 2400 happens to bear a striking resemblance to the same color, albeit leaning more toward the "mustard" than the "yellow"!!! :D Have fun with your new tools and have phun here at the Creek, as well! :D :) :cool:

Don Orr
02-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Welcome Pete-have fun with the Mustard Machine. And if White is Right, my Jet 1642 (powermatic cousin) should be acceptable to a certian un-named turner on this board:D .

Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Andy Hoyt
02-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Pete - Don't listen to John. His ChevyVegaThingamabob latherizer is just a fig newton of his twisted imagination. He admitted to me once that the plug got pulled out from the wall by accident and hasn't figured out how to put it back in yet. So, its now in his living room serving in a new capacity as a potted plant stand.:D

Don - I like White Iron - in all variants.

Glenn Clabo
02-28-2006, 1:17 PM
Pete...How come you didn't start off this message with... After I won the Lottery...:D
Just remember the old saying...
He who dies with the most tools...is just dead.
Welcome to this crazy place of spinny things.

Gary Max
02-28-2006, 2:30 PM
Pete you are off to a great start by showing such good judgement in buying the right color lathe.
If there is anything we can do to help you spend even more of your hard earned money just shout.

Glenn Hodges
02-28-2006, 2:47 PM
Pete it sounds as if you did the right thing by getting a good piece of equipment to start with. Welcome and I will be looking forward to seeing your work.