PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #28 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2006, 9:03 PM
February 27th, 2006

Another Monday. Cool and Breezy. Thought it was going to be a fairly slow day today with just the electrician and the insulation people.

First one there this morning was the plumbers. Had a little run in, but everything got squared away after Gary from Schluter's stopped by. They had started to carry in copper piping for the water lines. I stopped them and said I had ordered plastic. I have very acidic water and even though it is treated, I still want the safety net of plastic. Anyway, the first thing out of the plumbers mouth is "I wish someone would let us know this stuff". Well, I finally figured out what's happening with them. His wife does all the bookwork and talks to the GC's or customers. As far as we[me & GC] know everything is hunky dory, however she doesn't tell her husband or son or the guy they have working for them. So they're working in the dark. I think some of it could be aleviated if they took the time to go over the specs with the homeowner BEFORE they started work.

Anyway they hustled pretty good [think maybe they just want to get the heck out of there]. Most all the supply water lines are in as well as the waste lines. They also got my old hot water heater installed as well as the Rennai tankless unit mounted and partly plumbed. The whirlpool tub is installed and they only have a small amount to do for now.

Norm, the electrician, was there again and I helped him a bit by drilling studs and pulling some wire. Actually felt kinda good doing some of that. Took my mind off the plumbers.

Benny came back also to finish up little things before the insulation team shows up. And also to finish the outside so Greg, the siding guy, can start putting up siding.

We now have some siding up, but the insulation crew didn't show up. Tomorrow I guess.

After the weekend, LOML and I decided we would get one of those solar tubes for the kitchen, so I went down to HD and got a 14" one to install before the insulation and drywall goes in. Will get to that tomorrow maybe.

Looks like we're finally going to warm up a wee bit. Maybe in the 50's by Wednesday. That's going to feel good, but it's going to be a mud pit at the house. Oh well, not much can be done about that.

32892 32893
The siding is a light gray with a bluish gray facia and soffet. The rain gutters will be the bluish color also.

Man wish I could have filled that puppy up and used it tonight. It'll have to wait for a while though.

Tune in tomorrow. There should be more siding and hopefully insulation.

Karl

Matt Meiser
02-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Within a day or two, its going to pretty much look done from the outside.

Man wish I could have filled that puppy up and used it tonight. It'll have to wait for a while though.

Uh, NO PICTURES PLEASE!!!! :eek: :D

Cecil Arnold
02-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Looking good Karl. What Matt said.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Karl.......sorry about the plumber but...........all in all...........things are going well and lookin' good!

Tom Drake
02-28-2006, 5:14 AM
Looking good Karl.

Anthony Anderson
02-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Karl, It is looking great. I am impressed with the progress that the crew is making. They seem to be very organized, with very little down time. We had a similar experience when we built our house. But I have heard horror stories:eek:. I enjoy the updates, keep them coming. The wife has been looking too. And for her to look at anything on a woodworking site is amazing:D. Hope it continues to go smoothly. Bill

Jerry Olexa
02-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Karl I really like your generous overhang. Looks good and practical... When are u starting on the house?:D :) (as John M would say). Going well. Don't let the plumbers upset your day...

John Miliunas
02-28-2006, 11:06 AM
:cool: Hey Karl, I can't exactly tell from the pic, but I'm assuming the tub will be walled in completely??? Just want to make sure, as I don't think the pump will like all that sawdust flying around in there. :D I gotta' hand it to you, my friend: That is one classy shop!!! You know, most people would be putting that much attention into a house!!! :D Lookin' good! :)