PDA

View Full Version : Intro.... New to Forum

George Kretschmann
02-27-2006, 8:29 PM
I would like to say hello to all. This is my first post here and won't be my last I hope. I have been buying tools up for the last few years mostly Jet on the big tools, Dewalt, Makita and Porter for the small stuff. I currently have a 10 by 24 shop and will be expanding to the full 24 by 24. I like building clocks.... Mantel clocks, Wall clocks and Grandfather clocks. I am married with no children, ride a Harley and have worked in the same place for 26 years. I like opions and getting the biggest bang for the buck. I currently live in central Alabama where it is hot and humid most of the year except for now, low will be 26 degrees Tuesday am. My next purchase will be a table saw now that I have more room to expand the shop, I have saved $2000.00 for that. The 10" $99.00 Craftsman has served well in the past but would like to upgrade. Anyway...Hello to all...
thx George Kretschmann

Tyler Howell
02-27-2006, 8:33 PM
Welcome George sounds like you've got a thing going there.
We'd love to see your work

Russ Massery
02-27-2006, 8:34 PM
Welcome, George. you'll get penty of opionions on table saws here.:rolleyes: oh yeah we love pics........

Cecil Arnold
02-27-2006, 8:38 PM
George, welcome to the creek. I'm surprised at Tyler, who is the resident picture Nazi (or more kindly the picture police) for not informing you that we like pictures. In fact, if there's no picture it didn't happen. SMC is a great place to learn and share with a bunch of good people. If you don't turn, stay away from a guy named Andy, and another one named John, since they have a communicable disease that seems to be spreading.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2006, 8:39 PM
Welcome to the Creek George! Neat place to trade information or seek an opinion. Warning.........don't let Tyler's mild first-time-to-the-new-guy attitude fool you!:rolleyes: He's the Chief Photo Cop! No pictures...It didn't happen. He and his heavily booted deputy Steve Clardy rule the site:rolleyes: .........a gloat isn't gloat without photos! :eek: Seriously though........Welcome to the Creek!

George Kretschmann
02-27-2006, 8:40 PM
I can do some pictures when I have some time. Right now I'm presed for that. But I can do that soon... I like pictures also. Thanks for the greeting

David Duke
02-27-2006, 8:43 PM
Welcome to the Creek George, great bunch of guys and gals around here.

John Bailey
02-27-2006, 8:53 PM
Welcome George!

Good to have you here. Love to see how you have your shop set up. If not that, how about some pictures of your Harley on the off-topic forum. I don't have one now, but in my younger days I had an old rat bike. Good memories.

John

Mark Singer
02-27-2006, 9:04 PM
George..welcome a great place and even the nasty SMCers are great by comparison....I won't say to what :confused:

Frank Pellow
02-27-2006, 9:04 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek George! One things that the others have not told you and that you may not be aware of, is that our archives of past threads is a great resource and the search facility provided with the archives is not bad (not great, but OK).

George Kretschmann
02-27-2006, 9:16 PM
From looking here I believe most of my questions could be answered by "Searching" . However, I think I will post to generate an interest. Right now the next thing to do is POST pictures..:D

Corey Hallagan
02-27-2006, 9:46 PM
Welcome to SMC, it's a great place. I like to build clocks myself but haven't done any lately (been bitten by the turning bug). sounds like you have a healthy budget for a TS, that will get you pretty much a pretty darn good saw, better than mine anyway! :)

Corey

Matt Meiser
02-27-2006, 9:55 PM
George, Welcome to the creek. Its a great place and I'm sure we can give you a few hundred different opinions on that saw upgrade.

Mike Cutler
02-27-2006, 10:00 PM
From looking here I believe most of my questions could be answered by "Searching" . However, I think I will post to generate an interest. Right now the next thing to do is POST pictures..:D

Well. What fun would that be. How would all of us be able to participate and lead you astray if ya' just looked up the answers. It's cheatin' I tell ya'. How about a ruling on this Tyler.;)
All Kidding aside George. Welcome to Sawmill Creek, and pleased to meet ya'

doug webb
02-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Welcome George.. These other guys are right, great place, great people, loads of information and opinions... By the way, you'll find the turners down at the bottom of that slight incline..Great people. Visit

Tom Drake
02-28-2006, 5:23 AM
Welcome to the Creek George.

Karl Laustrup
02-28-2006, 5:36 AM
Glad to have you aboard George. Really interested in seeing pix of your clocks.

Karl

George Kretschmann
02-28-2006, 7:05 AM
Thanks a million for the warm welcome...I hope I can contribute something here. I,m going to do pictures soon. thx gk

tod evans
02-28-2006, 7:35 AM
welcome george!

Mike Zozakiewicz
02-28-2006, 8:33 AM
Welcome George, as has been said before, this creek is great community, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Can't wait to see those clock pictures!

Mike

John Miliunas
02-28-2006, 8:58 AM
Nice having you at the Creek, George! :) (BW10LTS) You may have already found that folks here are real willing to submit opinions (BW10LTS) on all kinds of different equipment and, table saws (BW10LTS) are no exception! Two grand should buy you a nice one (BW10LTS) and even have money left over for a good blade (Forrest WWII) and even some wood (Cherry)! :) I think if you do some searching around here, you can get a real good idea of good quality (BW10LTS) saws, which are available and be able to formulate some questions to narrow the field (BW10LTS) down a bit. :) Glad to have you here and don't forget we love pics!!! :D Oh, and if you should decide to start a thread on TS selection, (BW10LTS) I may even be tempted to throw in my $00.02! (BW10LTS) It's a good thing you're not looking for suggestions on lathes, or Andy Hoyt would be trying to send you subliminal messages about a certain white colored lathe. Man, I hate it when people do that!:D :D :cool:

Pete Harbin
02-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Welcome aboard George!

Pete

Brian Parker
02-28-2006, 10:55 AM
George,

Welcome, this place is full of knowledgeable people.

Just my opinion, don’t be brand loyal on power tools. There are some good companies out there, and most of them are made in Asia/China/Taiwan anyways. Look for quality of the tools, reputation of customer service, warranty and most importantly features.

When I started I was brand loyal on things and after a few tools I found that brands are just stickers, what counts is the guts on the inside.

If you need help picking out tools or spending your money this is certainly the right place for you.

Brian