PDA

View Full Version : And so, the saga begins again. (PICs)

T.J. Mahaffey
02-27-2006, 5:31 PM
I started essentially 'building' my shop in Fall of 2004 by adding a slab, furring strips and plywood facing the walls. This led to my first good table saw and a string of really lucky machinery deals. I'm outfitted to fill my needs for the forseeable future.

Along the way, I've set up my shop with found cabinetry I bought for a song at auctions and thrift stores. This has served me well my first year (04 - 05), but up through last month there have always been compromises. Since I didn't build the cabinets, I'm always having to work around their designs and shortcomings. Too tall, too short, odd shape, etc. I'm not complaining, believe me, I've been very, very lucky.

But each time I think my arrangement and setup is in a good state and ready for a 'real' project, I start on one and end up running into my shop's workflow shortcomings. Also, I'm now in need of a revised arrangement into which I can install some DC duct work and get my new DC into service. I've tried to fight the urge to essentially rebuild my shop for months, but it finally got the best of me last weekend. I have a very obsessive side and my creativity and focus cannot work if my mind is distracted by things not having their place.:o

A week ago today (Monday, Feb.20), I succumbed to this urge and started planning an entirely new arrangement and custom cabinets. So far, I think its going to work out great. (And I feel like putting all other projects on hold for now, while I do this, will pay dividends in productivity and enjoyment in thend. Here's hoping.:o )

Historically, I've bought plywood from Lowe's. But now that I know a bit more about such things, I decided to price plywood at a hardwood place up the street from my office. Wow! I was able to get this poplar 3/4" 4x8' sheet plywood for $25/per sheet. That's $15/per sheet LESS than I paid Lowe's for birch ply and it seems to be of comparable quality. Definitely good for shop cabinets.

First thing Saturday, I moved out a bunch of loose or mobile tools to make room to handle 4x8' sheets of poplar 3/4" plywood. This isn't a simple feat in a 17x17' shop. About 2 years ago, the 'Old Me' would have been very impatient and tried running these sheets through the table saw unaided. (Tough very dangerous. Don't ask me how I know that.) However, I'm mostly a different person now, and have gained some patience thanks to the many lessons I've learned in this time. So, instead I took the time to set up a folding table as an infeed, raised on some bricks, and used my Workmate as an outfeed.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/infeed_setup.jpg

The setup above has been one of the smartest things I've ever done. And let me tell you, I won't try to rip large sheets any other way again. Wow. Its still tricky to get those suckers on the table, but after that, things are a breeze.

So, here are my cabinet parts all cut as of late Saturday afternoon.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/parts_cut.jpg

My cabinets are based on a plan from American Woodworker. (Spring, 05 sometime)

The picture above shows the main carcass parts cut and ready to go.

By Sat. evening, I had the base constructed and leveled.
Yesterday (Sunday) around noon, here's my weekend's progress:

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/boxes_done.jpg

I followed the suggestions made in the plans (another first for me. lol) and built a rectangular box equal to the width of the top and bottom panels. This was a HUGE help and allowed me to clamp the panels together while leaving my hands free to screw, countersink and glue.

I'm pretty happy with the progress. When I'm in the shop, I start thinking ahead by several projects and often get frustrated when I'm not able to build Rome in a day. However, I've learned that if I set smaller, more realistic and visible goals, I'm just as happy with my progress.

Getting the shop arrangement reconfigured, nonessential tools temporarily moved and carcasses and base assembled (minus the backs) were my goals. And I achieved them.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Don Baer
02-27-2006, 5:37 PM
Great Progress TJ and I'll be looking forward to your progress. Hopefully next winter I'll be building a new shop so I'll watch and maybe pick up some ideas.

Julio Navarro
02-27-2006, 5:39 PM
Wow and Wow, great job!! looks like they are coming together very well.

You have a comrad in spirit about building Rome in a day, more like building Rome, and Athens and Paris and.......all in a day. I often go to Lowes or HD and come back with entirely different suppies for an entirely different project and barely what I went for to begin with.

Your cabinets look very nice, but could you explain what you mean by "a rectangular box equal to the width of the top and bottom panels." and are the three sections three separate boxes, i.e., top, bottom and side?

Cant wait to see the rest of the project as you progress.

T.J. Mahaffey
02-27-2006, 5:51 PM
Wow and Wow, great job!! looks like they are coming together very well.

You have a comrad in spirit about building Rome in a day, more like building Rome, and Athens and Paris and.......all in a day. I often go to Lowes or HD and come back with entirely different suppies for an entirely different project and barely what I went for to begin with.

Oh, man, I know what that's like.:o

Your cabinets look very nice, but could you explain what you mean by "a rectangular box equal to the width of the top and bottom panels." and are the three sections three separate boxes, i.e., top, bottom and side?

Cant wait to see the rest of the project as you progress.

Just one box is really necessary here.
clamping the box to a top/bottom panel allows this panel to stand up on its own. Then, I set this upright on a side panel, laid flat.

Frank Pellow
02-27-2006, 9:22 PM
I am sure that you will be happy that you took the time out to build yourself the cabinets that will suit your shop. I have never yet regretted taking the time to build something that improves my working environment.

You have done a good job of describing and showing your project and I look forward to future installments.

Corey Hallagan
02-27-2006, 9:41 PM
Hey TJ, your looking good! You are where I was a year ago only I had been woodworking for about 20 years, needed reorganizing and needed to upgrade from most of my 20 year old starter craftsman stuff. We bought the same tablesaw by the way, Thanks HOME DEPOT! New cabinets were the backbone of my new shop along with the new saw. Enjoy and keep us updated.
Corey
PS. your shop is still bigger than mine!

Dave Ray
02-27-2006, 10:17 PM
TJ, the cabinets are looking good. I really enjoy the way you write, you are a wordsmith of the first order. You tie the words and pictures together, and present a very clear picture. :)

Bart Leetch
02-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Looks like you've got a good start T.J. they look like the cabinets from the January issue of American Woodworker.

T.J. Mahaffey
02-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the encouragement very much. It helps a great deal.

Its funny. I was chuggin' along on screwing and gluing those carcass boxes and had hit every one of them right on... until the last one. :rolleyes: The last two joints on the last box ended up with one screw each which drifted enough to cause the ply to separate/split. But I didn't let the Old Me get mad and throw them all out into the driveway and smash them. Nope. I just backed the screw out, moved in from the corner a bit, drilled a new pilot and did the screw over again. Then, turned that corner to the back. No change in strength, no cosmetic problem. No big deal. :o

I'm considering a second set of these cabinets for the opposite corner, next to my traditional bench. I'll be that much more careful not to let it happen again.

This was really the hardest part for me. I'm fairly confident in the drawers and slides since I've actually already built a slightly modified, single cabinet based on the same plans. They came together with not too much trouble, and my first try. It will be my drill press cart when the new arrangement is fleshed out. (This was my project done in a cabinet making class I took last spring.)

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/dp_cab.jpg

Karl Laustrup
02-28-2006, 6:02 AM
Looking good T.J. Keep the flow going. I am enjoying this thread.

Karl

Tyler Howell
02-28-2006, 8:32 AM
Likin it TJ. Looks Good.

Steve Clardy
02-28-2006, 9:19 AM
Looking good T.J.!!
I notice you have double panels in the center of the box.
Was that in the plans?

T.J. Mahaffey
02-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Looking good T.J.!!
I notice you have double panels in the center of the box.
Was that in the plans?

Hi, Steve. :)
Yes, the appeal of this plan is the modularity and ease of construction.

Pete Harbin
02-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Roll on TJ! I've just started on a similar adventure. I was all set to paint the walls this last weekend, when wouldn't you know it...two different friends needed help moving. I guess you're one of the first folks called when you own a pick-up! :eek:

Your project is looking good! Keep the updates coming. I'm still in the cleaning and planning (and painting) stages, so I'll be following your thread for some good ideas. :D

Pete

T.J. Mahaffey
03-05-2006, 9:14 PM
Looks like I managed to meet my goals for the weekend, and then a bit more.

The plan calls for two layers of 3/4" MDF, trimmed with birch. I decided to add a 1/4" replacable hardboard surface to that.

After it was about done, (and I fouled up the first sheet of hardboard) I noticed that my birch trim wasn't flush all the way around and the one flush router bit I have is too shallow to do the job.

So, I'm in my office eating some lunch, pondering going out and buying another router bit just to flush-off that birch trim.

Then, I came to my senses and whipped out my trusty #4-1/2 (Type 17).

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/flush.jpg

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/flush2.jpg

In just a few minutes, I was all set. And kept that $25 in my pocket!

Oh, and here's how the cabinets/bench are shaping up. That's a backsplash and tool shelf at the rear. I'm pleased so far.
This shot also shows the cabinet backs attached.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/cabs.jpg

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-05-2006, 9:49 PM
Looking good TJ!

I'm going to have to do what you are doing at some point as well, the whole "Found Cabinets" thing is really not a great idea, long term.

Cheers!

Jim Becker
03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Cabs look great, TJ!!

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Very nice TJ, they look great!

Corey

Dave Ray
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Shaping up good TJ. thanks for a good thread, I like watching/reading your progress.

T.J. Mahaffey
03-22-2006, 2:08 PM
I thought I would post an update.

Over the past two weekends, I've cut all of my drawer parts, cut the rabbets and dados and assembled the drawers.

Parts cut and rabbeted/dadoed:

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/cabs_3.22.jpg

Picture of completed drawer assemblies coming tomorrow.

What I've learned in this phase:

1. My shop built router table wing has sagging problems. I hope to address this with a new table saw work center and new router table wing this spring.

2. Plywood DOES have a grain direction. Duh. :o
Yes, I knew that already, but it didn't really occur to me until it was too late. Lots of splintering on these drawer parts. Luckily, it was easy to hide by facing these parts in a less-seen direction.

Next:

I'll pick up my drawer slides this week at a local hardwood dealer. 22" full extension slides. Their prices are amazingly cheap: $5 per pair (!)

I hope to have the drawers installed on slides this Saturday. Over the next couple of evenings before then, I'll finish the carcasses by edge taping the visible plywood edge surfaces, mounting the end panels and doing final installation of the cabinets onto the base and wall.

Jim Becker
03-22-2006, 5:59 PM
Lookin' good, TJ!!

Chris Dodge
03-22-2006, 6:30 PM
Looking great! Keep us apprised.

T.J. Mahaffey
03-22-2006, 9:44 PM
Here's how the cabinets look right now, with the drawers assembled, but not installed just yet. It's shaping up! I'm excited to see it get to this stage.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/cabs_w_drawers.jpg

Bob Marino
03-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Here's how the cabinets look right now, with the drawers assembled, but not installed just yet. It's shaping up! I'm excited to see it get to this stage.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/cabs_w_drawers.jpg

Great progress - very impressive!! That cabinet looks great.

Bob

T.J. Mahaffey
03-26-2006, 7:41 PM
I've been working on these shop cabinets for several weekends. Things are really starting to come together as of today. I got all the slides and drawers installed and started applying finish (Amber shellac). (the dark brown border on the wall is duct tape I used to mask off for applying the finish.)

This is my first time using shellac (Thanks for everyone's recommendations!) and I must say I really like the warm, amber color it gives the wood. 'Makes it feel aged a bit... like the cabinets have already been in place and used for 10 years.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/cab_prog.jpg

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/cab_prog2.jpg

ext weekend, I'll work on fabricating the drawer faces and drawer pulls.

Seeing it get this far and seeing all those empty drawers just waiting to organize my shop goodies... it just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

Jim Becker
03-26-2006, 8:14 PM
Those drawers look GREAT, T.J.!!!

Steve Clardy
03-26-2006, 9:41 PM
Looking great!!!!!!!!!!

Corey Hallagan
03-26-2006, 9:44 PM
Excellent job TJ, the cabinet is looking great.

Corey

Julio Navarro
03-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Very impressive TJ. The progress looks great.

Jerry Olexa
03-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Very nice. I always think you enjoy your shop more when you've built the components yourself IMHO. Enjoy! Nice work..

Kelly C. Hanna
03-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Looks like you are off to a great start! I'll be watching the progress as well, I would love to build my own cabinets in my shop.

T.J. Mahaffey
04-10-2006, 11:55 AM
No new pics to post, but I'm SO, SO close to finishing my cabinets!
I cut, beaded and attached all of my drawer faces on Friday night/Saturday.
On Sunday, I laminated some cherry I had on hand to make the drawer pulls. I don't have all of the special router bits to make the specific pull designs called for in the plan. So, I simplified the pulls and made them with the bits I have. Got those all routed and cut to size and finish sanded.

So, now all I have left is to attach the pulls and finish with a couple of coats of shellac! I can't wait!

Final pictures should be posted in just another couple of days.:)

Jan Williamson
04-10-2006, 1:44 PM
Very nice work:) Are you going to know what to do with all that drawer space?:eek:

Mike Zozakiewicz
04-10-2006, 2:14 PM
Looks great!, can't wait to see the finished cabinet!

Mike