PDA

View Full Version : Unity candlestick practice..attn John Hart

doug webb
02-27-2006, 3:45 PM
This is my practice run at making a unity candlestick set for my daughter's wedding.. This is green sweetgum turned and wetsanded with blo. So far it hasn't warped or cracked..Anyway this is for practice..I hope to use walnut for the final product..Thanks for looking.....'Nice' opinions welcome.........otherwise I might get my feelings hurt:) . doug32875

Rich Stewart
02-27-2006, 3:48 PM
That looks GREAT!!! I really like it. Looks good to leave the rings up on the stem rather tahn laying on the base. I would have never thought of something like that. Really, A great job.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2006, 3:48 PM
Doug You're gettng there! Question?..................If you are running with this bunch at SMC.............how can you possibly afford to have feelings that will get hurt?:confused: :eek: :D

John Hart
02-27-2006, 3:52 PM
Hey Doug...Yep...Those are pretty! I like the entire concept. Now, I have questions...Is this a scaled down version or actual size? The reason I ask is I wonder why the need for 6" diameter walnut? Maybe the better question is....What are the dimensions of this that you've done in your picture?

Mark Cothren
02-27-2006, 3:55 PM
Wow Doug! Great work!

Thanks for the pictures!

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2006, 4:24 PM
Holy cow Doug that is beautiful. I love the rings in the middle. How did you do that? Great job. When you get the walnut done your daughter will be proud of old dad.:p

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 4:41 PM
Outstanding!

Keith Burns
02-27-2006, 5:42 PM
Great holders Doug. Great form and details:) :)

doug webb
02-27-2006, 5:46 PM
Thanks Rich, the idea came to me as I was discussing turning them with my daughter. Except I saw a tiny silver chain going fom the lower rings to the interlocked ones on the larger c/stick. That idea is still under consideration:) .

Ken I was raised on a fishing boat, spent four years in the Navy and 35 years as a construction plumber... I am delicate... please keep that in mind when critiquing my work. :D

John....Glad you like..Yeah, these are a smaller version of what I want the walnut for.....The large one: 4 inch base and 3 inch top at 14 inches high..... The small one is 3 inch base with 2 1/2 inch top and 13 inches high.. What I am considering for the walnut is a 5 inch base, 3 inch top [ candle is 3 inch diameter ] at 22 inches tall, with the smaller scaled to match.. So that is the reason I need the large chunks. But like I said, worse to worse I can use what I have now... just not what I would like to do....

Thanks Mark.. That helps more than you know

Thanks Bernie....I first saw interlocked rings on a pic posted by Bill Grumbine... Using them on a unity candlestick just seemed right..

Andy, do you mean you like them even if they won't hold ice cream?..... thanks.

Thank all of you for your encouragement...The only people who see my work are family and they love EVERYTHING...It is great to get kind words from people who know what they are looking at....doug

Glenn Hodges
02-27-2006, 5:50 PM
Great idea for a great cause.

Pat Salter
02-27-2006, 7:17 PM
John....Glad you like..Yeah, these are a smaller version of what I want the walnut for.....The large one: 4 inch base and 3 inch top at 14 inches high.....

Andy, do you mean you like them even if they won't hold ice cream?..... thanks.

Yeah, Andy figured with a 3" top it would hold SOME icecream. ;)

VERY nice candlesticks, hope you find some dry walnut the size you need. May cost as much as the rest of the wedding!:D

Jim Dunn
02-27-2006, 7:25 PM
Very nice Doug. I'm sure your daughter will love em at her wedding.

Andy can use em to hold an icecream cone. Not as much icecream but at the rate he's eating it he'll need a bigger lathe just to belly up to.

Corey Hallagan
02-27-2006, 8:07 PM
That is really great! Nice job!

Corey

Jim Ketron
02-27-2006, 9:17 PM
Nice work, love the shapes you used!