PDA

View Full Version : Picked up the new saw today...

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-02-2003, 7:02 PM
...from the friendly local Woodcraft. We got the Xacta left tilt with long rails and the Bosch router and Xacta lift package for the extension table, along with the big JET add-on sliding table.

As usual with JET (in my experience), the fit and finish of the saw was exemplary...with the exception of the motor cover, which was pretty well crushed. :mad: The right extension table mated up perfectly to the main table (left table not used with the slider). This is the first time I've seen the 'commercial' Xacta fence, and it looks like they've fixed at least one of the irritating problems with the 'plain old' Xacta fence in that there's no plastic thingy to fall off the locking lever. Also seems bigger than the other one. A couple washers and nuts were missing, and the bolts provided for the extension table aren't long enough to use the washers as instructed. That's not a huge deal, I guess, but it's a very simple quality control issue...and one that shouldn't be.

I'm a bit irritated about the sliding table. Maybe I heard wrong, but I understood a couple retailers to say that it 'bolts right up' to the saw. Hmmph. It bolts right up after you drill several holes in the cabinet and cut a foot or so off all the components of the rail system. We'll take the rails to the local metal worker to cut them, but I still have to take 'em off and put 'em on again after already spending an hour doing it the first time. :mad: Also a bit miffed that the picture on the cover and in the body of the slider manual clearly show parts that have changed...and the new parts have more holes than the pictures...and the JET Doctor wasn't answering the phone today.

It just occurred to me that I might could use the router lift thingy in the router table...but we'll never use it on the saw. My first inclination is to offer it for sale...router not included. Email or PM me if anybody's interested.

Hopefully I'll have the whole deal assembled and cutting Monday afternoon, at which point I'll report on the sliding table.

KC

Ed Falis
08-02-2003, 7:16 PM
Kirk,

Congrats on the new saw. There's always a thing or two, so figure in a week or so, those things will be past history, and you'll be enjoying.

- Ed

Don Abele
08-02-2003, 7:25 PM
Kirk, congratulations. Looking forward to getting my new saw in a couple of weeks or so.

You said you don't plan on using the router lift in the table saw. So do I guess correctly in assuming that the extension table does not come with a hole already cut in it for the router lift?

Thanks. Be well,

Doc

Jim Becker
08-02-2003, 8:53 PM
It's kinda normal to have to shorten the rails...but rather than cutting them down, why not shift them over about a foot for more fence travel?? :D

I've been very pleased with my Jet LT saw for well over three years now. Good machine.

John Miliunas
08-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Congrats on the new toy....errrrrr....tool! Hopefully, all will come together properly and you'll have a serious butt-kickin' saw! I've been pretty happy with my Jet purchases and have always kept them on my "short list". Enjoy! :cool:

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-03-2003, 7:51 AM
Don...yes, the extension table has a nice hole already cut in it for the lift. I reckon we'll put something in there to plug it up.

And Jim...I suppose we could move the front and rear angle iron rails over...but the front support tube comes with the tape measure already in place and I don't wanna replace that. Also, that dude is gonna take up plenty of room as it is...moving the rails to the right would make it bigger yet.

I'm sure the others are right...once it's set up and working, I'll forget the minor annoyances of assembly. ;)

KC