PDA

View Full Version : A little bit o' Hickory

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 2:13 PM
This was a cut off from a much larger chunk and just hated to not mess with it. It's about 4" tall, 2 1/2" wide. 1/8" thick; and has a few coats of Arm-R-Seal on it.

Nothing special about it, don't much care for the form, but I do like the wood.

32869 32870 32871 32872

Rich Stewart
02-27-2006, 2:17 PM
Dang Andy! You must have been posting this the same time as I was posting mine. I don't really like my form either and it is just about exactly like yours. I think both pieces should maybe have the shoulder moved up and the top flattened out a little bit. What you think?

Sure is nice looking wood. Did I hear someone say that turning hickory is like turning rock?

Mark Cothren
02-27-2006, 2:52 PM
Looks good to me... it's screaming for about 4 scoops of homestyle vanilla...

Thanks for the pictures!

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2006, 3:38 PM
Andy it looks mighty fine to me. How does hickory turn? Isn't hickory pretty hard when dry?

John Hart
02-27-2006, 3:48 PM
Yup...I was just saying the other day that I prefer the sexy curving forms over the triangular forms. Of course, the woman from venus disagreed. No matter. Hey nice lookin' piece there Andy. That'll look good with droopy dried plants and weeds and stuff coming out of it.:)

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 4:32 PM
Nah, Hickory isn't that bad to turn. Of course, I still have a bunch of it so I guess I'd better like it! Bernie, it's as hard as wood when dry!

And yes, the form stinks. Rich and John are on the mark. I think I was concentrating too much on wall thickness instead of thickness AND form. No matter, was just time.

Dick Parr
02-27-2006, 5:10 PM
That looks great Andy, very nice job.

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2006, 5:11 PM
Like the wood Andy. The form looks like a cut off bowling pin of the duck variety. :D

Karl

Glenn Clabo
02-27-2006, 5:26 PM
In the interest of trying to make sure you know I'm ain't sucking up to you for some future speck of turning knowledge...the form sucks and what do you expect from that wood...Mother Nature gave you that...and she's cool.
Of course I'm almost for sure kidding.:p

Keith Burns
02-27-2006, 5:34 PM
Thats what makes this addiction so much fun. Although the form may not be a "typical" artsy form, I do like it. :) :) Does not look like it will hold much ice cream though:D

doug webb
02-27-2006, 5:53 PM
I don't see anything not to like about it..Everything doesn't need to look the same...

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-27-2006, 6:21 PM
Hey Andy, my Mother used to do the same thing...............say something like "I didn't do that very well"........................... just get a compliment!

You know as well as we do that it is good!:D :D

Bruce

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 7:03 PM
In the interest of trying to make sure you know I'm ain't sucking up to you for some future speck of turning knowledge...the form sucks and what do you expect from that wood...Mother Nature gave you that...and she's cool.
Of course I'm almost for sure kidding.:p
And I'm almost sure that any future monumental speck of turning knowledge that I may one day impart quite possibly will also perhaps maybe suck!:D

Thanks, guys. I only agreed to the notion of a lousy form because Rich said it first and his really did stink, and I didn't want to hurt his feelings!:D:D:D

John Hart
02-27-2006, 7:05 PM
Atta Boy Andy. Always lookin' out for others. Sure is cool hangin' witcha!:)

Dennis Peacock
02-27-2006, 7:08 PM
And yes, the form stinks. Rich and John are on the mark. I think I was concentrating too much on wall thickness instead of thickness AND form. No matter, was just time.

Andy,

That is very nice and although you must have modeled it after my girlish figure? Looks pretty good. But then again, I can only hope that my very first HF comes out anything even CLOSE to what you've just posted.

Jim Dunn
02-27-2006, 7:30 PM
Hey Andy. I kinda like it. Looks like a jug I saw on the History Channel holding oil for bathing the ladies in:) And I do like bathing the ladies in oil. Can I have it for that?

Bill Stevener
02-27-2006, 7:50 PM
Hay Andy, everyone is picking on you. I like the last one you turned in the last photo.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

David Fried
02-27-2006, 8:23 PM
Andy,

I do like the wood! Looks like it would be difficult to get ice cream out of it. Might be the perfect dish if you ever go on a diet!!

Dave Fried

Travis Stinson
02-27-2006, 8:51 PM
Well Andy, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I like the form, it "works", with nice curves to boot.;)

Jim Ketron
02-27-2006, 9:16 PM
Nice Job Andy!
Keep them HF's coming!

Bill Simpson
02-27-2006, 9:55 PM
Interesting looking pieces. the grain is different,
How does hickory turn? Isn't hickory pretty hard when dry?<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> I too want to know. Passed a grove of trees today looked and all were Shag Bark Hickorys. I lusted after them, as I did the Heavy Burl on a Locust tree I pass every day.(Hoping for a wind storm and I will be there with my chainsaw to clean up the mess and not charge a dime) What was yours?

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Again thanks.

Truthfully, the stuff can be bothersome to turn, but mind you, I have no idea what freshly cut hickory would be like. This bunch was on the ground in the bark for three years (intentional spalting experiment) before I got to it. Still wet of course, but no where near green.

That said, you don't get nice long shavings, they're more like really really long Howard Hughes style fingernail clippings - about an inch or two.

And when dry after roughing they're the same just shorter.

End grain can be nasty until you figure out the trick - sharp sharp sharp and how you present the edge.

It's prone to splitting even though I took every precaution I could think of. Interestingly, the chunks that I slabbed and retained the pith on did not split nearly as much, if at all. I cannot explain that.

And when it's dry it is rock hard tough.

Sands well and takes finish nicely.

I like it.

How's about John, Bruce, George, Roger, and Pat coughing up their opinions.

Jim - I'll get yours sent out in a day or so.

Ernie Nyvall
02-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey, I think it would be good for a nice shake... pretzel/green olive cream with coconut syrup would just about fit that. mmmm mmmm gooood

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Interesting form Andy. I do like the wood!