PDA

View Full Version : A few new things

Rich Stewart
02-27-2006, 2:12 PM
Here is my first attempt at HF. I put a piece of cocbolo on top of some catalpa. Not really a very good mix as the cocobolo is very hard compared to the catalpa. I hollowed it with some hollowing tools I made from a 2X4 and some 3/8 square stock from Ace with a nail stuck in it. Finish is Danish oil and buffed.
Second is a bocote bowl. 5 inch diameter1 1/12 thick. Danish and buffed.
I wasn't going to show this one as I was just goofing off with some scrap I had left over but my son said he thought it was "wierd but cool" so I figgered it wouldn't hurt too much to show it. One thing about that catalpa wood. It turns very easy but you cannot get a sharp edge on anything. It has to be fairly thick or it just chips. That's why the lid is so bad looking. Finial (if you can call it that) is bocote.
last one is a little weed pot type vase thing mad from a little scrap of walnut. Danish oil and turners polish. Also my first halfway decent pen. Olivewood. Sanded to 12,000 and buffed.

Mark Cothren
02-27-2006, 2:15 PM
Wow Rich! A great variety there! All looks good to me! Nice work. I especially like the Bocote bowl.

Thanks for the pictures!

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 2:59 PM
Dang Andy! You must have been posting this the same time as I was posting mine. I don't really like my form either and it is just about exactly like yours. I think both pieces should maybe have the shoulder moved up and the top flattened out a little bit. What you think?

Sure is nice looking wood. Did I hear someone say that turning hickory is like turning rock?
Well fancy that! They do kinda look the same. And I agree about the top half - that's where I went wrong. I think I was focused on wall thickness more so than shape. It's all fun in the end.

Actually turns more like hickory.:D

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2006, 3:23 PM
Rich they all look great. You did some wonderful work there. I like the bowl.

John Hart
02-27-2006, 3:58 PM
I gotta disagree Rich...I kinda like the cocobolo and catalpa mix. It's earthy. Finial looks cool, if not a tad tall....but cool! All nice and fun!:)

John Timberlake
02-27-2006, 5:11 PM
I really like the way you used the grain on the first piece. The two woods go nicely together. All of them are keepers.

Gary Max
02-27-2006, 5:18 PM
Heck the pen and weed pot both look great to me.
Guess they all are good---just depends on who is looking at them.
Keepen coming.

Keith Burns
02-27-2006, 5:40 PM
Rich, I gotta' tell ya, they all look good to me:)

Glenn Hodges
02-27-2006, 5:58 PM
Rich, you sure have been busy. I vote for the bowl.

doug webb
02-27-2006, 6:04 PM
Rich, that is some great looking work and a very nice variety. I like the first with the two dark woods together and love the bowl...Keep them coming doug

Corey Hallagan
02-27-2006, 8:03 PM
Great little assorment of turning Rich. Favorites, the Bocote bowl, catapula bowl with finial and the Olivewood pen. Great stuff!

Corey

Bill Stevener
02-27-2006, 8:45 PM
Rich, I think they all look nice.
I would like to see some photos of your hollowing tool, that sounds quite unique.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Ketron
02-27-2006, 9:14 PM
Very Nice work Rich!
beautiful turnings!

Keith Christopher
02-27-2006, 10:21 PM
All these turners using the word- "attempt" . when you really should say SUCCESS !!! Nice job they look awesome !

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Rich ....they all look good to me but I especially like that hollow form! Great wood and form!

Ernie Nyvall
02-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Wow Rich, you've been busy. Nice work.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-28-2006, 6:47 PM
Pretty, Pretty, Pretty, and Pretty, Rick.

Bruce

Chris Barton
03-01-2006, 8:05 AM
As always, great looking work!