PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base Wheels

Jeffrey Makiel
02-27-2006, 1:22 PM
I'm still trying to figure out a mobile base for my old 18" cast iron bandsaw. I've looked at 'universal' mobile bases by Woodcraft, HTC, super heavy duty Shop Fox, Delta and General. It seems the only one that was reported without problem, and was well constructed, was the General, but my saw won't fit on it (missed by 1").

Then I saw the gizmos below which uses plywood as a filler. However, I never heard of anybody mentioning these. The parts appear heavier than what is provided on universal bases, and I figure I can double up on plywood. Has anybody used them?

By the way, when I inquired about universal bases 1 month ago, a very kind fellow Creeker offered me one of his bases for free. I had to turn it down because it did not fit. But that goes to show the quality of folks on this forum!

cheers, Jeff

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/MobileBaseWheels480x360.jpg

Charlie Kocourek
02-27-2006, 2:59 PM
Did you look at the Vega mobile base? I have one on my cabinet saw and it works great.

Chris Christopher
02-27-2006, 3:46 PM
I have had this type of base under my 6in Ridgid jointer for almost two years now--Very functional--depending on the weight involved my want to consider half laped sides with a plywood top just to avoid any bowing --

Gary McKown
02-27-2006, 3:54 PM
Jeffrey - I got a set of those at WoodCraft (25% off for a returned item) to mount under a quite heavy router table cabinet. Using longer bolts I mounted them directly, just used plywood "shims" where the plywood base normally would go. They are fairly heavy duty, only down side is that the lift tabs are short so it takes a pretty good stomp to lift a heavy machine. I mounted the swivel wheels to the sides on the front, so the mechanism is not in the way of feet when using the router table.

Saul Harris
02-27-2006, 4:29 PM
As soon as I saw the picture, I thought 'General'. The wheels and hardware appear to be much like the General mobile base (Part No. 50-025) but does not have the steel stretchers and multiple holes.

It is unfortunate that your tool is too big for the General mobile base; I have one under both my table saw and my bandsaw. I have the intention of putting one under my drill press in the near future.

My two pennies, for what it's worth...

E W Wilkinson
02-27-2006, 7:46 PM
I am using a Delta universal base on my bandsaw. Purchased it at Lowes and used scrap wood for the stretchers. I'm considering converting the jury rigged mobile base on my jointer to the Delta as well.

Corey Hallagan
02-27-2006, 8:15 PM
I bought the Jet mobile base because it is strong, fits a wide variety of tools and assembles in minutes without tools. It worked great on my table saw.

Corey

Jeffrey Makiel
02-27-2006, 9:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. My bandsaw weighs 400lbs. And like all bandsaws, it is a top heavy machine. Being over 6ft tall, any movement from a sloppy mobile base will translate into a lot of movement towards the top of the machine. This is the case right now with my homemade mobile base.

Again, thanks for the responses...Jeff

Corey Hallagan
02-27-2006, 9:30 PM
The jet mobile base I believe is rated for 600 lbs. Very stout.

Corey

JayStPeter
02-28-2006, 8:22 AM
HTC will make custom welded bases. That would be my first choice, followed by the Shop Fox. IMO, those are the two most stable bases (excluding the Delta welded bases which are on par with the HTC, but not available custom sized).
The Shop Fox isn't perfect, but it is the only "universal" mobile base I'll use on my heavy machines. I had to put a piece of plywood in the base on my 17" Grizzly bandsaw to allow the door to open past the caster locks.
On lighter machines like my DP and sander, I like the Delta/Rockler bases that you add your own wood.

Jay

Scott Parks
02-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Jeff,

I'd give them a shot. Double up the plywood if it's too flexible. I have 2 Delta bases, one on the table saw, and one on my 14 BS. They are identical, except welded to frames. I really like their ease of use. I don't like the other brands of universal bases because I prefer the toggle pedal/wheel, like what you've pictured.

If you're worried about the BS being tippy, you can make your base a larger footprint to help stabilize it.

Brian Parker
02-28-2006, 11:08 AM
I've got two mobile bases made by Jet. One holds 600# and the other is 1200# rated. The only reason that I bought them vs making my own was I got them delivered to my door for a good price. I figured that between the wood and some nice casters, and time that it was cheaper than making my own. I like a base where all the wheels pivot not only two, its a pain when moving them around in the garage. I'm thinking of selling my 600# jet MB and building a nice one for the bandsaw.

If you can't tell my vote is to get some nice casters (grizzly and a few other sites have nice locking ones) and make your own.

Anthony Anderson
02-28-2006, 2:57 PM
Jeffery, where did you find the caster set that you posted? Just curious, might be something that I could use. Thanks, Bill

Jeffrey Makiel
02-28-2006, 3:00 PM
Bill...It's available at Woodcraft.com for $60.
-Jeff