PDA

View Full Version : 1st place blue ribbon for scrolling

Terry Quiram
08-02-2003, 6:47 PM
I just returned from the Scroll Saw Association of the World's Illinois picnic. This is the first time I have ever entered a project in their contest. I won blue first place for intermediate fretwork and red for best in class. I won these prizes: $100 in hardwood from Ocooch Hardwoods of Richland Center WI. and a 2 year subscription to Scroll Saw Work Shop magazine and a $30 gift certificate from Rob Starr of Fox Chapel Publishing Co. I also won a book (one of the few I don't have) in the raffle drawing. Plaque is QS Sycamore mounted to Walnut stained very black. Finish is Deft Satin right out of a can from Lowes. Size is 11 X 16. All in all it was a great day.

Ed Falis
08-02-2003, 7:19 PM
Terry,

It's a bit hard to see the work under all those ribbons ;-)

But I can tell the composition is part of why it's a winner. Can you post another picture unadorned?

And congratulations!

- Ed

Bob Reilly
08-02-2003, 8:25 PM
[. I won these prizes: $100 in hardwood from Ocooch Hardwoods of Richland Center WI.

Nice job Terry,and congrats on the ribbons, you can send me that $100.00 certificate and i'll cash it in for you as i'll be in Richland Center next week,better to be able to see that wood than buy it blind. :D :D

Ken Garlock
08-02-2003, 8:42 PM
Boy Oh boy, if you work is intermediate, I can't imagine what the "top shelf" scrollers can do.

Congrats once again :cool:

Jim Baker
08-02-2003, 8:49 PM
Beautiful as always, Terry. Congratulations on the great awards. Michael thinks it looks "cool."

Spence DePauw
08-02-2003, 9:30 PM
Congrats, Terry. Looks fantastic. Bring it to the next PAW meeting, please. I'd love to see it in person. Also, I'd echo Ken's comment. If that's intermediate, I can't even imagine difficult! :o

Spence

Bob Lasley
08-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Congratulations Terry. After seeing your work in person, I'm not the least surprised. In fact, I showed this to my wife and said "This is by the guy that did the feather up there on the shelf". Of course, I say that every time I show her a picture of your work.

Great job,
Bob

Chris Oakley
08-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Congratulations, looks great!

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-03-2003, 7:50 AM
That is very nice work Terry, CONGRATULATIONS! It's great to see a fellow Land of Lincoln Woodworker hangin' ribbons on his outstanding work! Being an Avid Upland Bird Hunter, the plaque is really pleasing to my eye, the subject of the work couldn't be better. Thanks for the opportunity to view your Award Winning Work. You did the Prairie State proud! :D

Terry Quiram
08-03-2003, 9:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

Bob thanks for the generous offer, but I took the wood home with me. :D Richland Center is at least a 5 hour drive for me. Is that your home town? The lumber I brought back was 8 foot long. I got a piece of Curly Red Oak, Spalted Maple, Jatoba, Paduk (2 pcs), and Curly Maple. The Curly Maple and Paduk were only 3 feet long and the Curly Red Oak is 10 inches wide. If you are a scroller stop downtown at Wildwood Designs and check out all the work in their show room.

Ed, here is the pic you requested.

Spence, Vic also took a ribbon. We are going to rub it into Bill Schultz. Don't miss the meeting.

Intermediate class refers to the physical size of the scroll work.

Dave Anderson NH
08-03-2003, 10:40 AM
As the proud owner of one of your walnut burl eagles, I'm not the least bit surprised that you won some top prizes. Your work is outstanding and your prize piece is no exception. Again, congratulations on a fine showing.

Bob Reilly
08-03-2003, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=Terry Quiram]Thanks for the kind words.

Bob thanks for the generous offer, but I took the wood home with me. :D Richland Center is at least a 5 hour drive for me. Is that your home town? The lumber I brought back was 8 foot long. I got a piece of Curly Red Oak, Spalted Maple, Jatoba, Paduk (2 pcs), and Curly Maple. The Curly Maple and Paduk were only 3 feet long and the Curly Red Oak is 10 inches wide. If you are a scroller stop downtown at Wildwood Designs and check out all the work in their show room.

Well,a five hour drive isn't bad,23 hours for me and no not my hometown but have relatives there. Been to Wildwood Designs many times,that's quite a place with all the pieces of work on display, you could spend hours just looking.

Ed Falis
08-03-2003, 2:11 PM
Hey Terry,

Thanks for the post of the full picture. Very nice.

- Ed

John Christiansen
08-03-2003, 2:12 PM
Beatifull work Terry. It is obviously well deserving of the ribbons. It would be nice to see the real thing, and all the other entries as well. Maybe someday I'll start attending some of those types of things that they have going on in my neck of the woods.

You won two ribbons, some wood, a magazine subscription, a gift certificate and a raffle in one day! You did stop and buy some Lotto tickets on the way home, didn't you?

Terry Quiram
08-03-2003, 2:42 PM
John

Now is your chance. :D The next SAW (Scroll Saw Association of the World) event will be in Detriot August 30 at the Taylor SportsPlex.

Terry

John Christiansen
08-03-2003, 3:06 PM
John

Now is your chance. :D The next SAW (Scroll Saw Association of the World) event will be in Detriot August 30 at the Taylor SportsPlex.

Terry

Man, you're fast!

Thanks for the info, but, "my neck of the woods" is the Grand Rapids area. Detroit is close to 200 miles from me. About the only woodworking things that come up in Grand Rapids are the tool shows.

Keith Outten
08-03-2003, 3:29 PM
Outstanding work Terry!

You've got the magic touch with that scroll saw of yours.

Mac McAtee
08-03-2003, 5:03 PM
Very nice work Terry. I knew you were talented but didn't know how.

I still haven't cut into that big chunk of mahogany that you sent me.
Regards,
Mac

Ray Thompson
08-03-2003, 11:57 PM
Your work is in a class by itself.

If any of you want to watch an artist in action take the opportunity to watch Terry on his saw. He likes what he is doing and it shows in his work. Its just plain fun just to sit and watch him work, and, to listen as he talks about what he is doing.

Ray

Jason Roehl
08-04-2003, 7:53 AM
Terry, that looks wonderful! You deserve every ribbon you got and more!

Bill Grumbine
08-04-2003, 9:40 AM
Very impressive Terry! Congratulations on the prizes! You deserve them!

Bill

Rusty Hughes, Indy
08-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Way to go Terry! Excellent work.

Randy Gleckler
08-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Terry, Awesome work and Congrat's on the ribbons as well.

Randy

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-04-2003, 4:36 PM
That is really beautiful work!
Congratulations :cool: