PDA

View Full Version : Another TS problem

Jason Morgan
02-27-2006, 12:56 PM
You people are so good at answering all my questions about my TS that I just keep thinking up more and more of them.

Okay, here is another one. Dado cuts are creeping on me. As I cut more and more dados, the depth of cut increases slowly. This is with the lock wheel as tight as I can get it (which ends up still able to move with some effort). Is my locking mechanism not working right, or am I using wrong technique? I notice that deeper cuts tend to make it worse. When my saw is "locked" should I be able to move the wheel at all? (first and only ts I have access to).

Thanks.

Michael Ballent
02-27-2006, 1:04 PM
The wheel should not move at all when you tighten the knob. When I make any cuts, I usually tighten down all the knobs. Typically the front wheel will control the height of blade and there should be a knob in the middle that will tighten to lock the blade height in position. Based an what you are saying I do not believe you are tightening up the right knob or you are facing a serious safety issue.

If you are locking it down and they blade is creeping (especially upward) I would cease using the TS for dados until you have figured out what is going on.

What model/mfg TS are you using?

Rob Blaustein
02-27-2006, 1:04 PM
I know this won't be of much help, but I thought the usual scenario was that dado cuts can get shallower over time if the blade isn't properly locked. Can you give some more details about your setup?

Andrew Shaber
02-27-2006, 2:28 PM
Are you completing your depth setting by moving the blade UP? If you move it down, the lash in the adjusters will slacken to a lower depth.