PDA

View Full Version : DW735 Planer Problems Fixed?

ROBERT FALK
02-27-2006, 8:30 AM
On the reccomendations of many people, I purchased the Dewalt 13" thickness planer (reconditioned) knowing full well of all the initial production issues they've had with the linkage and power rollers.

My question is: have they resolved them?

I also have been following the threads relating to the high cost of knife replacement and Infinty's replacement knives. Just for information, I was paging through a Grizzly calalog this weekend and noticed that they sell DW replacement knives for $45.

Scott D Johnson
02-27-2006, 9:37 AM
I have owned the Dewalt 735 for about a year and half and bought it thinking the linkage problem was fixed also. Last week the planer had trouble "pulling" a board through. The board would stop moving part way through the cut. I cleaned the roller and that helped some, but still has problems. I went to the woodworking show this weekend and talked to a service rep. All Dewalt 735 planers with a serial # below 200440 need to be serviced. He said take it in and they will replace the bushsings, sprocket, linkage, etc. Mine is #200416. Bummer, I can't do much woodworking without my planer.

Bernie Schaner
02-27-2006, 9:37 AM
Hi Robert:

I purchased a new, not reconditioned, 735 from Amazon. A sprocket on the roller feed mechanism did break and DeWalt sent me a new sprocket. I have rotated the initial blades after much use and a small chip so I am still on the original blades. I did order a new set of blades from Amazon for about the same price you quoted and have them hanging on standby.

I like this planer and am satisfied.

Take care,
Bernie

Brad Townsend
02-27-2006, 10:07 AM
I have owned the Dewalt 735 for about a year and half and bought it thinking the linkage problem was fixed also. Last week the planer had trouble "pulling" a board through. The board would stop moving part way through the cut. I cleaned the roller and that helped some, but still has problems. I went to the woodworking show this weekend and talked to a service rep. All Dewalt 735 planers with a serial # below 200440 need to be serviced. He said take it in and they will replace the bushsings, sprocket, linkage, etc. Mine is #200416. Bummer, I can't do much woodworking without my planer. I experienced these same symptoms last week and I feared the worst. After cleaning rollers, etc., I finally concluded that maybe the blades were so dull the board couldn't move forward at the rate the rollers were trying to feed it. Changed blades, problem solved.

Scott D Johnson
02-27-2006, 10:13 AM
I thought about changing my blades also as they are the original set since I bought it.

ROBERT FALK
02-27-2006, 2:50 PM
Should I just do a preventative strike and complain to Dewalt about the linkage, blades and rollers so that I have the parts on hand when they break?

Gregg Feldstone
12-31-2006, 5:51 AM
I just got a recon 735 for $364. Works great so for!!
It looks brand new and I can't even find a scratch. The height adjustment handle has some play. Anyone know a fix for that?
Anyone know if the reconditioned machines are checked over for the sprocket problems.....even if they weren't broken....just returns maybe? Hope I have the later serial #.

Byron Trantham
12-31-2006, 7:45 AM
How/where do we contact DeWalt for the 735 service parts?

James Biddle
12-31-2006, 9:51 AM
How/where do we contact DeWalt for the 735 service parts?

Seems easier to replace the parts ourselves if it's not too much trouble. I just checked my serial no. 200436 I missed the good ones by 4?

Byron Trantham
12-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Seems easier to replace the parts ourselves if it's not too much trouble. I just checked my serial no. 200436 I missed the good ones by 4?

I think it means you're in good shape. No parts required.
And you're right, I will get the parts from them and replace them myself. The sucker weighs 92 pounds!

Benjimin Young
12-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks Scott, I'll be checking my Serial# today!

Neil Bosdet
12-31-2006, 11:14 AM
My serial # is 200616. Just bought it a few days ago. Whew (I hope).

Dave Bureau
12-31-2006, 12:46 PM
My # is 200438. damn!!!!

James Biddle
12-31-2006, 8:21 PM
I think it means you're in good shape. No parts required.
And you're right, I will get the parts from them and replace them myself. The sucker weighs 92 pounds!

Sorry, doesn't serial no. 200436 mean I have a bad one?

Allen Bookout
12-31-2006, 11:04 PM
I have 200401 that was a reconditioned machine from ToolKing last year. It has an R branded by the serial number and a green sticker with a check mark on it. Does anyone know if the new parts were put in this one or what. Have not used it enough to run into troubles yet.

James, It looks to me like that you have one of the ones that needs service according to the information on the serial numbers.

Byron Trantham
01-01-2007, 8:14 AM
Sorry, doesn't serial no. 200436 mean I have a bad one?

I think so. Mine's 332. I already contacted thema dn I will keep us posted as what happened.

Byron Trantham
01-02-2007, 3:17 PM
Got a reply already. They are going to send the replacement sprockets. Not bad for a few minutes on email.

Byron

Dave Bureau
01-02-2007, 3:20 PM
Could you post who and where you sent the email to?
Dave

Gilbert Vega
01-02-2007, 4:24 PM
subscribing

Steve Kohn
01-02-2007, 9:48 PM
Mine is 200333.

What is the contact email and how difficult is it to install the parts?

nic obie
01-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Even though mine isn't broken yet..I'd sure like to get the info too.

I tried their support email addy but nobody has bothered to answer yet.

Byron Trantham
01-03-2007, 8:17 AM
Could you post who and where you sent the email to?
Dave

I logged into www.dewaltservicenet.com
I located their "contact us" and sent a couple emails with my serial number etc and they are replacing my sprockets.

Larry Crim
01-03-2007, 9:49 AM
I called the customer serv rep and they say there is no service bullitin IRT the serial numbers but there is one on the chain and sprocket, wanting to check mine I removed the black cover and inspected the chain and 2 roller sprockets all seems fine but where are the bushings that were refered to in the earlier posts? Mine has on a few recent uses stalled in feeding the boards and there was a chattering noise coming from the board feeding through planer. I replaced the blades since but have not had a chance to run any lumber through to see if it has helped.
Larry

Gilbert Vega
01-04-2007, 7:26 PM
I have #200326 and just emailed Dewalt about a repair. Hope I hear something soon.

Ryan Evans
01-05-2007, 2:32 PM
Gregg, I have been wanting one and Toolking is out, where'd you get one at for $364?

Thanks,

Ryan

James Suzda
01-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I logged into www.dewaltservicenet.com (http://www.dewaltservicenet.com)
I located their "contact us" and sent a couple emails with my serial number etc and they are replacing my sprockets.
I've sent a couple of e-mails to them and have not received a reply to either one. :mad:

What kind of magic words did you write to get a response from Dwelt??
Jim

Byron Trantham
01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I've sent a couple of e-mails to them and have not received a reply to either one. :mad:

What kind of magic words did you write to get a response from Dwelt??
Jim

All I told them was my serial number was bla bla and I understood that prior to a certain SN 200440 I think, they needed to have the sprockets replaced. The first response assumed I had just bought mine, ie, I did't the fix but after I cleared that up they responded by saying that they would send the replacement sprockets right out. Haven'nt seem them yet but I'm in no hurry. I have a paper (electrons) trail now I am confident I will see the replcement parts. Good luck.

Jesse Thornton
01-07-2007, 2:15 PM
I sent an email to dewalt complaining about my blades dulling too fast, the next day they replied and asked for my address, the following week a new set arrived at the post office. I was impressed by how quick and eager to please their response was, so I'm suprised you haven't had any response. How long ago did you email them?

Todd Miranda
05-25-2008, 6:43 PM
All Dewalt 735 planers with a serial # below 200440 need to be serviced. He said take it in and they will replace the bushsings, sprocket, linkage, etc. Mine is #200416. Bummer, I can't do much woodworking without my planer.

Hmm... I'm confused I just purchased a new DW735 with a date code of 2007 46-CT serial # 189104. I thought this sprocket issue has been fixed long ago but my serial number is way bellow #200416. Should I be concerned or am I missing something obvious?

Todd

Tom Esh
05-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Hmm... I'm confused I just purchased a new DW735 with a date code of 2007 46-CT serial # 189104. I thought this sprocket issue has been fixed long ago but my serial number is way bellow #200416. Should I be concerned or am I missing something obvious?

Todd

You're safe. Mine's in the same range and I posted the same question to the DW service group awhile back. I don't recall the exact wording of their resposnse, but essentially the relevant info is the date part. Yours is 200746, well after the cuttoff.

Al Brangenberg
05-27-2008, 3:31 PM
I have serial number 200428 and called Dewalt (800 4 dewalt)today to report the pulling through problem . I was curtly told it is out of warranty, there has been no recall and was offered no assistance. Anyone know of better connection email or phone no to arrange for the repair kit other than buying it? Thanks.

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-27-2008, 3:57 PM
so I'm guessing that the important number is the *date code*, not the S/N. Looks like the date code is year&week...so 200440 is the 40th week in 2004....

Greg Heppeard
05-28-2008, 8:23 AM
I have 200419 and have been working it like a dog for 3 years. I've gone thru 4 sets of knives, a dust collector hood, and several blade screws. No problems with the feed, other than needing to clean and wax the table. (keeping my fingers crossed)

Steve Sawyer
05-28-2008, 9:35 AM
The height adjustment handle has some play. Anyone know a fix for that?

I've had a used DW735 for about a year and a half, and installed one of those digital thickness readouts about six months ago. I love it, and it really makes any play in the height adjustment mechanism irrelevant. I think the Wixey is about $60 and goes on sale occasionally at places like Woodcraft.

Vic Damone
05-28-2008, 9:52 AM
Earlier this year an owner received a replacement set of sprockets that he described as looking "exactly" like the originals. If anybody has replaced the sprockets on their 735 lately could you comment on any visible differences in material makeup or dimension?

Vic