PDA

View Full Version : QUICK ?.. Anyone know where the woodworking sstores are in Memphis Tn.?

valerie williams
02-27-2006, 7:55 AM
I jsut found out that I have to take my brother to memphis this mourning to enlist in the coast guard. We are going to be near bartlet. Are there any woodworking stores in that area? We are about 2 1/2 hours away but its the clostst WW shops so I really want to go but I am NOT familliar with Memphis at all.
huggs
Val

Martin Shupe
02-27-2006, 8:04 AM
Get the yellow pages out....

and look up COLCO. Call first, to see if they are still in business, as they have been for sale for at least a year. Fair selection of tools, turning woods, and lots of big lumber that is (IMHO) overpriced.

Another place, I think, called "The Wood and Shop", or just Wood and Shop, is located behind the mall on the highway to Nashville. The one I am thinking of is run by a retired Navy Captain, I used to get it confused with another one that closed down.

Those are the only two I know of....

If you want rough lumber, look up Midtown Logging and Lumber, run by Scott Banbury, who is a member that you can look up here.

Jim Hager
02-27-2006, 8:51 AM
I jsut found out that I have to take my brother to memphis this mourning to enlist in the coast guard. We are going to be near bartlet. Are there any woodworking stores in that area? We are about 2 1/2 hours away but its the clostst WW shops so I really want to go but I am NOT familliar with Memphis at all.
huggs
Val

There is an equipment rebuilder down town somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. His business is primarily to purchase old iron and rebuild it to sell to ww shops around the country. I went there one time when I was looking at buying a unisaw. He had several at the time but my wife wanted out of there. He wore a 38 special on his side because he had been robbed recently. That made her as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I looked around briefly, he had a lot of stuff. Mostly was delta, delta/rockwell, delta/milualkee, powermatic, walker turner, and others I'm not familiar with. You might take a look in the yellow pages to see what you can find. The Grizzly store and warehouse closed down that was there.:( We used to stop in there on the way back from Tunica if I had some luck on the slots.

Memphis is a pretty big place so I'm sure you can find something to do.

valerie williams
02-27-2006, 9:08 AM
[quote=Jim Hager]He had several at the time but my wife wanted out of there. He wore a 38 special on his side because he had been robbed recently. quote]

Oh, gunns dont make me nervous. We have one in every room and what good is a gun if its not loaded? My 8 yo daughter can shoot a pistol. I dont know what kind it is, we just call it junior;)

Martin Shupe
02-27-2006, 9:34 AM
Oh, gunns dont make me nervous. We have one in every room and what good is a gun if its not loaded? My 8 yo daughter can shoot a pistol. I dont know what kind it is, we just call it junior;)

Wow, Valerie, you sound like my kinda gal! Do you go hunting with your husband, too? I had a buddy in flight school whose wife hunted with us and was a great shot. She got a banded goose her first time out.

However, there are some parts of Memphis best left unvisited, even if you are packing heat.

Rob Bourgeois
02-27-2006, 9:34 AM
You might send Keith Burns a PM. He is in Memphis..nice guy too. ( just met him this weekend) You can find Keith on the tuners board.

I am about 2 hours south of Memphis. Where are you from? IF you are south of Memphis in MS I can give you the location of another wood store in MS. Mom and pop store not alot of selection but it could be closer to you.