PDA

View Full Version : Any favorite "cheap tool" sites

Tim Devery
02-27-2006, 7:10 AM
I am looking for the Fein Supercut contractors kit #FSN 400E-C
List price is around $800.

Dan Owen
02-27-2006, 8:47 AM
Are you looking for cheap tools or good prices with good customer service? You may want to try Northwest Tools out of Spokane. I just ordered a Porter Cable 7518 router from them and was impressed with their customer service and inventory. Very fair prices and they will also match ant internet price. I also noticed they carry Fein products. You may want to try someone a little closer to you in your search to benefit shipping costs and time of delivery. By the way, Northwest shipped my router free.

Dan
http://www.northwestpowertools.com/index.htm

Brian Parker
02-27-2006, 1:08 PM
On occasion cragislist has some decent buys. I've noticed that some cities have a fair amount of quality tools posted and others seem to lack postings in general. Its very hit or miss but there are some bargains to be found every now and then if you keep up on it.

Michael Ballent
02-27-2006, 1:46 PM
I usually go to http://www.toolseeker.com They do not sell anything, but keep track of sales, promotions and have a list of current coupons from the various sites and also let you know what the shipping costs are.

Ken Garlock
02-27-2006, 3:31 PM
Check Coastal tool (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/fein/supercut_fsn400e_carpentry.htm?L+coastest+vbkx4721 fff16ff1), they have them at a good price, plus a $25 instant rebate.

Todd Davidson
02-27-2006, 6:43 PM
I second Coastal Tool. Living in CT I purchase from Coastal frequently. Best prices and service around.

Barry O'Mahony
02-27-2006, 6:50 PM
You may want to try Northwest Tools out of Spokane.Ditto. I've had good luck with them.

Christian Aufreiter
02-27-2006, 7:05 PM
Sorry, Tim, I can't suggest any "cheap tool sites" but let me add a few words on the Fein. As far as I know, the FSN 400E contractor kit is no longer available. It was replaced by the FSC 2.0-CK (http://www.feinus.com/p/supercuts/supercut_carpenter-kit.htm).

Regards,

Christian

Tim Devery
02-27-2006, 9:15 PM
Thank you all for the replies.
I will post when I get the saw and maybe a little review.
Great site!

Jeff A. Smith
02-28-2006, 2:25 PM
I am looking for the Fein Supercut contractors kit #FSN 400E-C
List price is around $800.

What's the difference in the Multi-Master and the Supercut? I mean... is SC an industrial-level version of MM? Or do they perform different functions???

Thanks!
Jeff

Michael Ballent
02-28-2006, 3:06 PM
I am fairly certain that it's the same machine as the VS MM, but has many more accessories.

What's the difference in the Multi-Master and the Supercut? I mean... is SC an industrial-level version of MM? Or do they perform different functions???

Thanks!
Jeff

Christian Aufreiter
03-01-2006, 6:47 PM
What's the difference in the Multi-Master and the Supercut? I mean... is SC an industrial-level version of MM?
Or do they perform different functions???

Thanks!
Jeff

Basically, I'd say "yes", the Supercut is somehow the industrial Mulitmaster that can be used for some jobs the Multimaster is not ideal for. Although both the Multimaster and the Supercut have the principle of the oscillating movement in common, they are designed and constructed for different applications. Some while back I had the chance to learn a few things about this subject. The Supercut initially was made for removing/repairing windshields. This very first machine had a round (cylindrical) tool mount. Over time, Fein expanded the range of accessories (for example, sanding plates). After the introduction of glued windshields it was necessary to "update" the Fein tool: more power, variable speed and the hexagonal tool mount in order to prevent the blades from slipping.
Due to the strong and tough (?) adhesives that are used for the windshields, a Multimaster wouldn't stand up well to the application of windshield removing and repair. As a consequence, certain, especially for the automotive industry developed blades can exclusively used combined with the Supercut, but not with the Multimaster. In other words, while you can use any Multimaster blade along with the Supercut, Supercut blades don't work for the Multimaster.
Apart from the fact that the Supercut is remarkably stronger than the Multimaster, only the Supercuts oscillating head is bedded in an oil bath (lubricant?).

Hope this helps,

Christian