PDA

View Full Version : Making a molded edge frame and panel

John Edwards
02-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Hi folks,
While using some tailed tools to make a bunch of cabinet doors today. Got to thinking what would be a good way to make a nice ogee or round over rail and stile with hand tools.

Simple rail and stile (or stick and cope if you prefer) without a molded edge is simple enough. M/T joinery and a groove plowed on the inside edge.

But what if you want a bit more fancy then a simple flat edge ?

Perhaps a small side beader to create the profile. A plow to do the groove and the typical M/T at the corners ? What would be a good way to miter (mitre for our overseas friends) for the corners ?

Perhaps a small ogee profile could be made with a couple H/R`s (hollows and rounds) then the plow and M/T ?

A scratch stock comes to mind for the ogee profile also.

Seems that the profile miters in the corners would be the hardest part to do.

Or am I missing something obivous here ?

Anyone have any thoughts, links or advice ?

Thanks

John Edwards

Mike Wenzloff
02-27-2006, 1:13 AM
Hi John,

Most of the time when I do this, I elect to miter the profile. The reason is it is easier than a cope cut, which admitedly is the better way.

I stick the profile along the edge of the stock, cut the stock in linear sequence around the frame [make sure to allow for the tenons on the rails]. At this point if it is a wood panel, I'll groove the stock, or if it is for glass, I'll run the rabbets.

I then mark the rails as to the inside edge to inside edge, mark for the tenons and trim/cut away the waste around the tenons. The shoulders of the tenons and the edge of the profile are equal. I then miter the profile so it meets the shoulder of the tenons using a miter template.

On the stiles, I mortise for the tenons. And one corner at a time, I'll push the rail as far as it will go and mark where the miter will need to be made on the stile. I scribe a line from the end of the stile to the end of the miter mark.

I then use one of two miter templates I have to guide the saw down to the line which runs up from the end of the stile. I rip cut the stile to the waste side of the line to remove the stuck profile up to the miter cut.

Do all the necessary trimming/fitting to get a clean meet of rail and stile. Repeat on the remaining 3 corners.

These are the miter templates I use:

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/mitre_templates.jpg

The picture below shows a cabinet in our downstairs bathroom. Simple bead via scratch stock. It may illustrate the miter at the profile and the fact the remaining profile on the stile was cut away to allow the shoulder of the rail to meet.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/miter1.jpg

Don't mention the missing glass on the cabinet. It's been on the honey-do list for a year or so--but the excuse is I haven't had time to do the frosted glass <g>.

Take care, Mike