PDA

View Full Version : ? Rockwell 46-525

Scott Donley
02-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi all, need a bit of advice here. There is a Rockwell 46-525 for sale here, it has a reeves drive, stand, a couple of tool rest, a couple of face plates, live and spur centers. He is asking 550 for it, seems a bit high to me. Anyone have one or used one ? Any opinions ? The picture is of one a lot like it but not the actual lathe. The one I am looking at is in good shape and original. Thanks for any input :)
Scott

Raymond Overman
02-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Seems high to me but I do like my old (mid-1950s) Delta.

My father bought one similar to that one except without the reeves drive for $25 off a school surplus sale.

Chris Barton
02-27-2006, 8:08 AM
$550 is high if you are looking for a bargain but, if your an old tool nut and the age and restoration of the tool means as much to you as the output of the tool then, maybe not so high. $300 more would buythe biggest new lathe from Grizzly...

George Troy Hurlburt
02-27-2006, 2:08 PM
I had this model for about 15 years before I sold it about 4 Years ago. It only has a 12" swing. I had a lot of parts for it. Sold for a $1000.00. Almost as good as new when it was sold. Even did some outboard turning on a stand, which I don't recommend. Thread is 1 x 8. It had the orginal motor and only changed the belt. It is a little noisey because of the reeves drive. I would druther have this machine,than any china import in this price range. I paid $1500 for it new in 1987. GT

Keith Burns
02-27-2006, 6:02 PM
For what it's worth I just sold the same model except with the 4 speed drive for $400. It was a good solid lathe.

Jeff Horton
02-28-2006, 9:20 PM
I watched several on Ebay a year ago and $500 for a nice (not perfect with shiney paint nice) often brought over $500. To me it seems about right but not a good deal. Just not a bad deal.

I wanted one of those lathes for a long time. I ended up with a Yates American J-Line instead.

I suggest you search the completed auctions on Ebay and see what they are selling for.

Scott Donley
03-01-2006, 8:06 PM
I want to thank ya'all for the feedback. I think I will pass for now on this. I will continue to try to learn on my old 1950 Craftsman. The owner had already said he thought it would bring that or more on that action site and knowing the guy I just didn't feel like making an offer, I would have gone 400, 450, we shall see, who knows, he might still offer it to me for less before going that route.
So, thanks again for the input, Scott

PS: Jim V. if interested send a PM or give me a call.