PDA

View Full Version : learning to engrave

Paul Frost
02-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey yall
I'm new to engraving, well I'm not even new yet, I,m thinking I might be able to make some kind of laser engraving / cutting name tags, plaques, switch labels. I been printing passed 28 years prepress and made switch to digital prepress. Woodworker on side furniture, cabinets and such. I'm looking @ a Pinacle-M 40 to see if I can make some $s @ this. I was wondering what kind of learning curve there is for some one like me I know adobe products, photoshop, Illusrator very well but corel is not used for printing around here. say chattanooga,TN. any comments welcome

Scott Brown
02-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Paul, I was a total newbie when I started this, I didnt have the knowledge of even the software that you do, But in a short time I was engraving. I think that most people use the software that you have, Photoshop, is what I useto edit my photos, and I am not 100% but I think that Illustrator will work with your laser when you get it, if not the switch to corel draw will not be a hard one, this forum is a graet place to find info.

Scott

Lee DeRaud
02-27-2006, 12:24 AM
You might want to read this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30915

Paul Frost
02-27-2006, 12:25 AM
How long Scott and do make $ @ it FT or PT

Scott Brown
02-27-2006, 1:07 AM
Since June of 2005, I do it part time. I have a full time job that travels me. I have found that if I make time, I make money, I do photos on diferent materials, but I get alot of my business from businesses, doing nameplates, and signs. Established businesses, hire and fire all the time, and they need new nameplates. I am not making a killing by any means, but I make enough to pay my overhead, someday I hope to do this fulltime.

Ken Frisby
02-27-2006, 6:00 PM
How long Scott and do make $ @ it FT or PT
It sounds like you want instant profit. That doesn't normally happen, you have to grow your business, which can take time. All of the items you mentioned are low profit items that take time to do, you would be lucky to make machine payments or to make back the interest you would be losing if you payed cash for the machine.

Paul Frost
02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks Yall very helpful and eye opening