PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's Desk

John Zahurak
02-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Below are some pictures of a desk for my daughters made of cherry.
I don't have a lathe, so I purchased the legs from Classic Designs by Matthew Burak. Rough dimensioning was done using power tools then the hand work kicked in.

All surfaces were hand planed. The joinery for the stepped drawer guides along the front were all cut by hand:
through mortise and tennons with wedges, dovetails and mortises for the front rails and stretchers, and mitered through dovetails for the 90' drawer supports (a first time for this joint for me).

The hardware came from Lee Valley. The finish is Waterlox.

John Zahurak
02-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Here are a few more pictures...one during construction and one or the drawers..

Mike Wenzloff
02-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Very elegant, John.

Very nice indeed. I especially like the through tenon on the vertical divider. Good way to tie it in securely.

Take care, Mike

Steve Wargo
02-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Very nice. Nice design, and nice selection of joinery. Well. Done. The front flows nicely with the one piece look. Nicely done.

Mike Henderson
02-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Very nice joinery - well done!

Mike

Alan DuBoff
02-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Nice looking piece of furniture indeed. Great hand work!

Dan Forman
02-27-2006, 1:31 AM
Lovely! Your design, or from a plan?

Dan

Pam Niedermayer
02-27-2006, 2:06 AM
Good work, John, bet your daughters love it. Now, tell me about the finish on those dovetails. I've never seen that effect before (I like it though, a lot).

Pam

Martin Shupe
02-27-2006, 6:39 AM
Excellent joinery, John.

How do you attach your drawer stops? Are they screwed down? If so, did you drill a hole in the top of the frame to be able to run a screwdriver through it?

I ask, because I am having difficulty with this.

On my first table, I put drawer stops against the back of the frame, but then I have seen Chris Becksvoort does it like you do.

My next table, I tried to put stops in the front, like you did, but I had to angle the screws to drill and screw from the inside of the case and it was not ideal....

Perhaps what I need is a 90 degree drill (very small) and 90 degree screwdriver. Or maybe just go back to putting the drawer stops at the back of the case.

I would be interested in your methods.

I would post pics, but don't have a digital camera handy right now.

Again, fine work, thanks for posting.

Mark Singer
02-27-2006, 9:58 AM
John,
Excellent work! Beautiful frame joinery!

Zahid Naqvi
02-27-2006, 10:08 AM
superb! to say the least.

tod evans
02-27-2006, 10:14 AM
nice work john! tod

Bob Oehler
02-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Very nice work
Love the jointery
That desk will be a family heirloom be sure to sign it

Take care
Bob Oehler

Louis Bois
02-27-2006, 8:49 PM
Lovely work John!!! Nice and light yet strong as a mule! Just the way I like em.:rolleyes:

John Zahurak
02-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I'll try to answer a few of the questions below:

Dan - The plan is one I came up with. Although after I purchased the legs I realized that I almost had to use a staggered drawer design....this was required to provide sufficient leg room for a chair while keeping the height of the sides matched up with the lenght of the flat portion of the legs. The width of the desk is sized to fit a current room, although it is pretty close to other deks of similar style.

Pam - The finish on the dovetails is just the same as on the drawer fronts (Waterlox). When I started woodworking I read somewhere not to finish the drawer sides or they could stick. So, what I do now is just tape off the side of the drawer even with the dovetails, finish to the tape and then wax the rest of the drawer side. Any finish on the end grain of the tails really makes them stand out.

Martin - I do screw the drawer stops down. My procedure is to use a dab of hide glue to hold them in place prior to screwing down....this eliminates clamping and trying to screw down in a tight drawer opening. After the glue sets up, I use a 90' drill and 90' screwdriver. In a very small drawer opening, you could come in from the top.

Thanks again for the comments!

Julio Navarro
03-02-2006, 2:20 PM
Very, very nice, I like the frame dovetail pulling double duty holding the top frame and leg post together. I also like the top frame dovetail with through mortice.

Ron Fritz
03-02-2006, 7:33 PM
John; excellent jointery work. I love the design & color.

Chris Barton
03-03-2006, 5:08 AM
Lovely work and very nice period piece!

Tyler Howell
03-03-2006, 8:38 AM
Tasteful and elegent:cool:

Michael Pfau
03-06-2006, 9:03 PM
Very nice table John. I love dovetails and cherry!

Zahid Naqvi
03-07-2006, 9:32 AM
Nice work John, the joinery is exquisite.

John Miliunas
03-07-2006, 9:38 AM
Well done, John! The detail work is outstanding and your daughter now has what I would classify as a heirloom! :) :cool:

Dick Parr
03-07-2006, 9:40 AM
That's a wonderful looking desk John, great job.

willie sobat
03-11-2006, 7:32 AM
Beautiful, well proportioned piece. I'm especially impressed with your joinery.

Clinton Findlay
03-11-2006, 2:30 PM
Love the work John.
The old style framework design is a pleasure to see.

Jerry Olexa
03-11-2006, 4:38 PM
Like your joinery. Great job...

Jerry Olexa
03-11-2006, 4:39 PM
Like your joinery. Great job...