PDA

View Full Version : Cut at some blanks yesterday

Dick Parr
02-26-2006, 6:42 PM
Yesterday I got to spend some time with one of the guys from our turning club, John Jordan. Not The John Jordan but the one from Clinton. John had invited me over a number of times to come over and cut some wood with him. John got a new WoodMizer to play with. So yesterday I loaded up the truck and took a bunch of cut up logs over to cut into turning blanks.

Wow does that beat a chainsaw. Took some planning to cut up the 18"-25" logs on the mill since it is meant to cut longer logs. But once we figured out how to secure them it was like a hot knife through butter.:D

John showed me how to us it and let me cut a couple, but he did most of the work for me.

John has a really nice place and lots of toys to play with. In the background of the picture of me and the blanks you can see a truck loaded with walnut and a couple of big crotch pieces. We are doing some talking about the walnut.:D

First pic is me and the blanks, second is John cutting and the third is me cutting. Most of the wood is spalted like in the forth picture. I have some Birch, Maple, Box Elder and Elm, also some Holly. Only about 6 more trips to Johns place and I will have all the logs cut up.:eek:

They are all sealed, now I just have to find a place to put them.:(

Had a great time, thanks for looking.

Glenn Hodges
02-26-2006, 6:46 PM
Nice haul Dick, and it looks like you 2 knew what to do with it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2006, 6:54 PM
Nice haul Dick. Nice to have someone that can do that. Especially a friend from the turning club.

Bill Stevener
02-26-2006, 6:56 PM
Looks like you had a nice day Dick. My neighbor, 2 mi. up the road has one, quite the saw, makes short work of it.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bob Noles
02-26-2006, 6:57 PM
Dick,

Wow.... that looks like all the ingerdients for a fun and productive day. That is one heck of a machine and it looks like you got enough blanks to last you a day or two out of the deal :D ;)

Great pctures and thanks for showing them.

Jim Ketron
02-26-2006, 6:58 PM
Looks like you guys had lots of Fun!
Now thats a nice saw, bet it was fun to watch and use!

William Bachtel
02-26-2006, 7:18 PM
I have one of the Woodmizer models, LTD Super 40 its a nice machine we cut up turning blocks all the time, if anyone needs help in the Akron Ohio area email lethcab@yahoo.com

Keith Burns
02-26-2006, 7:50 PM
Wow Dick, what a haul !! Looks like a lot of fun. Can't imagine what a guy could ever do with that much wood:D

Joe Tonich
02-26-2006, 8:18 PM
Man........you weren't kiddin when you said you were busy.........:eek:

Nice haul! :D

Joe

Pat Salter
02-26-2006, 8:24 PM
If you REALLY are having a problem storing those I'll send you my address. Especially if you get any of the walnut:D

Only one problem....where was your hearing protection? I noticed that he had some on. Maybe you have the little foamy type on. I hope so.:rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
02-26-2006, 8:29 PM
Very nice haul Dick, way to go! Sounds like you got a great mix!

Corey

Dennis Peacock
02-26-2006, 8:34 PM
Nice haul Dick and I'm envious of your experience with John. Glad ya'll got together and had a good time.

Now tell me, how was the LT15 to use and operate? I've been eye-ballin' the Woodmizer's for a long time now. Hope to have one of my own one of these days.

Mike Ramsey
02-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Looks like you had a good time Dick, Wish I had a good friend with
one of those blank cutters :) .

John Hart
02-27-2006, 6:49 AM
Good Times and good Wood. Perfect Day. :) :)

Ed Scolforo
02-27-2006, 7:08 PM
Great haul, Dick!

Chris Barton
02-28-2006, 7:04 AM
It looks like you are going to be busy this spring Dick. Enjoy the turning!

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-28-2006, 6:43 PM
Good lookin', Dick. Should keep you busy for a little whiile.

Bruce

Joe Melton
02-28-2006, 6:55 PM
Just move the wife's car out of the garage, and you'll have plenty of storage room.
Joe
ex marriage counselor

Ernie Nyvall
02-28-2006, 8:42 PM
Good job Dick. Great haul.

Ernie

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-01-2006, 3:57 AM
Looks like a fun day Dick, but man, you do in one day what took me two weeks to do.... :o

So when are you going to go and hotwire that truck full of walnut...? :D

Cheers!