PDA

View Full Version : First bowl suitable for public viewing

Joe Melton
02-26-2006, 5:59 PM
I'm pleased with this one, and decided to post it here. Because of the handiwork I see here every day, I'm somewhat timorous about this, but let the chips fly!
The wood is dyed aspen, similar to what Keith has posted The size is about 9" in diameter and 4" high.
The blank was "prepared" by a person helping the guy who sold it to me. Unbeknownst to the seller, the helper used a screw chuck to hold the blank, and then used a very large Forstener bit to excavate some of the interior. The hole from the screw chuck goes up an inch or so from the bottom, and the hole from the center of the Forstener bit extended a quarter inch or so from the bottom of the excavated part towards the other hole. I figure there was a half inch or so of material between the two holes. If I made the bowl with thin sides, then it would be much shallower, so I elected to use the technique I have seen here of a smaller bowl appearing to fit inside a larger one. The screw hole is still clear on the bottom of the bowl, unfortunately.
Hope this all makes sense.
The bowl looks pretty fat to me, but I didn't see any way to put a smaller base on it. Advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

Gary Max
02-26-2006, 6:07 PM
Looks like you are off to a great start.
Your bowl is nice and even and has a good shape.
Good choice of wood to work with.
Keep them coming and thanks for sharing

Curt Fuller
02-26-2006, 6:10 PM
Very nice bowl! That's some real pretty wood too.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2006, 6:10 PM
Very nice bowl. Love the color. Keep the chips flying. Bowl has good shape. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Stevener
02-26-2006, 6:43 PM
Nice bowl Joe. Quite an effect the way the dye leached in to the wood.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
02-26-2006, 6:47 PM
Purple Haze? Pink Floyd? Cool!

One serving of Bubblegum Marshmallow Chip, please.

Jim Ketron
02-26-2006, 6:52 PM
Nice work Joe!
Great looking Bowl.

Keith Burns
02-26-2006, 7:56 PM
Purple Haze? Pink Floyd? Cool!

You got it right Andy ! Great bowl Joe, glad you finally posted one. You did a great job on the form and preserving the color. I really enjoyed my visit with you in the Springs last year. Hope to see more posts from you here. I will be sending you a pm in the next few days.

Corey Hallagan
02-26-2006, 8:30 PM
Nice work! That is a great lookiing colorful bowl!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2006, 8:46 PM
Joe....nice bowl! Unusual form but it flows....it looks good! I like the dyed wood too!

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-26-2006, 9:56 PM
I really like the shape!

The coloration is effective, too.

Bruce

Mike Ramsey
02-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Good looking bowl Joe, very colorful!

Ernie Nyvall
02-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Looks real good Joe. I like what you did with the form.

Ernie

John Hart
02-27-2006, 6:55 AM
Very nice Joe. The form and wood are great....

So what's next? Keep 'em comin'.:)

Joe Melton
02-27-2006, 1:53 PM
Thanks for the kudos, guys. I apologize for the quality of the photos. I didn't realize when I decided to make a pen that it would result in learning digital photography, marketing, tax law, webmanship and that a year later I would no longer be able to walk through my basement nor that I would need to have a timber importing license. This is sort of the opposite of the "for want of a nail..." proverb, and I can only wonder what additional complications to my life await me.
I adore my wife but, lately, dark thoughts have intruded from my deep subconscious murmuring things like "Dang. If I weren't married I could finish this bowl and eat later". Surely I alone have these demons?
Joe

Mark Cothren
02-27-2006, 1:55 PM
Nice bowl, Joe! That's some great color!

Thanks for the pictures!

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 1:59 PM
..... Surely I alone have these demons?Joe

You are not alone.

John Hart
02-27-2006, 2:05 PM
....Surely I alone have these demons?
Joe

No Joe. I had a family once. I used to stay out all night...Drinkin'....laughing. I knew what the children looked like!

I had a life!!! But no more.....

doug webb
02-27-2006, 6:17 PM
You are not alone.. I am just happy that my afliction hit me after I quit working.Wife works, kids grown, so.... Love the bowl...

Keith Burns
02-27-2006, 7:04 PM
Joe, thanks for reminding me.....I've been woundering who has been lurking around my house:eek: