PDA

View Full Version : Quahog Bonkers, etc

Glenn Clabo
02-26-2006, 5:49 PM
After watching and Learning (?) from a local pro all day yesterday I figured I'd try to actually do something. Using a fellow "Experienced Challenged" (hi Ken) lead and as ordered by HMHiClass from ME...I tried to do as told and made a couple of Quahog Bonkers and even threw in the fancy, never before done, someday will be a heirloom...honey dipper.

Hey...it was fun trying to remember... through the haze of torpedo juice damage...what I was shown yesterday. Look out all you Quahogs!!!

Gordon Achterhof
02-26-2006, 6:02 PM
You guys that are supposed to be beginners (my foot), make me ill. I have been trying to do things like that for practice all week and still have not got it down pat. Grumble, grumble. Anyway, really nice work. I am green.

Cheers
Gordon

Michael Stafford
02-26-2006, 6:05 PM
Which one is the honey dipper, Glenn?:p :D

Nice work, just kidding you. I made some bumpy sticks many years ago but was not creative enough to put them to use or name them.:o

Chris Barton
02-26-2006, 6:08 PM
Excellent work! Richard Raffin would say that your Quahog Bonkers are about as good a practice item as you can make complete with every cut in the spindle turning category.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2006, 6:12 PM
Nice work Glenn. I like the big one for my honey pot.

John Hart
02-26-2006, 6:23 PM
So this company name will be Bonkers-n-Dippers?
Very very nicely done Glenn. Your curves look like you were focused.:)

Andy Hoyt
02-26-2006, 6:43 PM
Now, Glenn. I know you're just trying to suck up really nicely (and you are doing a fine job, by the way), in the hope that one day I might impart some monumental speck of turning knowledge on you, but you should know that there's nothing high class about me. Upper maybe, but not high.:D

And yes that eccentric cam shaft looking thingie on the right will make a great bonker, once you add the automatic de-shelling self extracxting noodler to it.

Glenn Clabo
02-26-2006, 7:52 PM
monumental speck.

What the heck is that?:confused: Kinda like for sure it's almost exactly perfect? :D

Keith Burns
02-26-2006, 8:00 PM
Great Honey Dipper and some good Bonkers, too:) As you well know, the only thing that Andy guy knows any thing about is Ice Cream:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2006, 8:55 PM
Glenn............Nice bonkers and great honey dipper! It really is a good way to practice the different spindle cuts! Maybe we'll go into business together...N/E&N/W Bonkers Inc................We'd probably have the entire market on bonkers!:rolleyes: :D

Andy Hoyt
02-26-2006, 9:51 PM
Glenn - Keeping this thread in the Seafood Department at the IGA, let me answer you by saying that it's analagous to jumbo shrimp.

Mike Ramsey
02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Great looking spindle work Glen! Better than mine by a lot :( .
I love the honey dipper, been meaning to turn one of those
to dip my Honey :D .
Later, gotta go ask Google what a Quahog is....

Glenn Clabo
02-27-2006, 6:06 AM
Ya have to remember that I'm from away.

Glenn Clabo
02-27-2006, 6:15 AM
Glenn............Nice bonkers

Curb your language sailor! We of the enlisted ranks must remember at all times...there are ladies AND gentlemen present!

Glenn Clabo
02-27-2006, 6:22 AM
Sorry Mike...furgut youse from far...far...away.:p

Proper name - Mercenaria mercenaria - also known as hard shell, steamer, or cherrystone...in other words...a big ol clam.

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2006, 7:47 AM
Those are cool Glenn. :)

I think that one laying down is a "forehead bonker" though. Or perhaps a "knuckle rapper".

The east coast division of "Bonkers, Knockers & Rappers" is well on it's way to cornering the market. :D

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Glenn............I think I've come up with a couple of names for our new venture ................................

"Bonkers are us" ................or " We are Bonkers"............

What do you think?

John Hart
02-27-2006, 10:23 AM
[quote=Ken Fitzgerald]..."Bonkers are us" ................or " We are Bonkers"...........quote]

I vote for "We Are Bonkers"

'Course then...you didn't ask me...so it doesn't count.:o :)

Glenn Clabo
02-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Ken & Glenn R/Bonkers, INC?
Nah...that's just too true...nobody would buy it.

John Hart
02-27-2006, 10:57 AM
I had another thought...How bout one of those names that irritate people into remembering it forever....

We Am Bonkers

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Knocked Bonkers Rock, LLC

or

Rockin' Bonkin' Knockers, LLC

Mike Ramsey
02-27-2006, 11:58 AM
I had another thought...How bout one of those names that irritate people into remembering it forever....

We Am Bonkers

Or maybe.. We Be Bonkers...

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Or............We R Bonkers

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2006, 5:44 PM
BONKERS "R" US

?????????

Karl

Glenn Clabo
02-27-2006, 6:20 PM
Bingo...Karl get's the prize!
Hey Ken...are there any lawyers in your family? Can we get a discount on copyrighting a name? Us Clabo's...we only deal with Uncle Luigie...the leg breaker.

Carl Eyman
02-27-2006, 8:29 PM
I'll bet no one that has responded to your thread to this point knows what a quahog is. (except me and Mr Cabo, of course) Am I right?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2006, 8:35 PM
Glenn..........don't know any lawyers...........some of the folks in my family have used lawyers services but...........none in the family.

Carl.............a clam maybe?

David Fried
02-27-2006, 8:38 PM
I'll bet no one that has responded to your thread to this point knows what a quahog is. (except me and Mr Cabo, of course) Am I right?

I know and thought everyone did but you could be closer to the truth.
Surely Andy does.

Dave Fried

John Hart
02-27-2006, 8:54 PM
Clambakes are really big around these parts so that's the only reason I knew.

Shirley Andy Knows.;) :D

Andy Hoyt
02-27-2006, 8:55 PM
Indeed I does.

And I know Shirley does to indeed 'cause Shirley does quahogs by the doz. when she buys dose

Glenn Clabo
02-28-2006, 7:01 AM
The real question is not what it is...but how to pronounce it.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2006, 8:52 AM
Yeah..........but depending on the part of the country you're from......with an accent it still might not be recognizeable if pronounced correctly!

David Fried
02-28-2006, 9:01 AM
Glenn,

I should warn you, years ago when I lived in New London I used to listen to a radio show that featured a segment "Talk good like a Rhode Islander". I think I can say it.:D

Dave Fried

Carl Eyman
02-28-2006, 9:42 PM
Hah! I thought so, some far westeners from places like Ohio think quahogs have a place in a clambake. Real clamdiggers like yours truly know only softshell clams belong in a clambake. Quahogs are good for chowder (if you can't get real clams) and in the size of cherrystone or little necks are good raw, but only genuine soft shell clams that spout a stream of water up through the sand when you skip a stone across the beach at low tide are good for clambakes.

Now this is a personal POLITICAL opinion but if any moderator takes exception to it I'll not contribute again to SMC until 2007. So there!

John Hart
02-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Carl...You wouldn't believe all the stupid stuff that goes on around here!!!:)

Dave Fifield
03-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Being as how I ain't from around these here parts (betcha can't guess where I'm really from?), I have no idea what a quahog is. Pronounced "kwah-hog" or "kway-hog"? I assume it's some kind of mythical animal that eats snipe, right?