PDA

View Full Version : Saftey section?

Paul Downes
02-26-2006, 4:53 PM
I was just wondering if you folks running this show have considered having a saftey section with perhaps a breakdown of the safe use of different machines? I also belong to the Forrestry Forum and have learned quite a lot on the subject reading their saftey threads. It recently inspired me to purchase chaps and helmets for my sons who cut wood with me on occaision. I realize that some information can be debatable, and I'm not sure if there is an legal issue, but I'm sure a disclaimer could be printed. I see regular questions on the subject and I think it would be a worthwhile addition to this fine forum.

John Shuk
02-26-2006, 7:56 PM
I posted a question about making accident posts into stickys. It got shot down by the group. People were worried that the first page would pile up. I agree but I wonder if a one week time limit could be added to a sticky. I don't want to add work for the moderators. I would like safety to be a little more "In your face" though.

Paul Downes
02-27-2006, 12:33 AM
John, I was thinking along the lines of saftey equipment and methods. I know the value of shock pictures, but they are not for everyone. I have seen some horrific industrial accidents while working in the auto industry for 28 years. Those memories tend to make me safer because they cause me to check up and think while performing tasks with machines.

I was thinking along the lines of say, the importance of having a splitter on your tablesaw. Or jigs to make a task safer. I don't understand the amount of work required in maintaining a thread topic. But I thought it may not be too difficult to have an instructional saftey section where perhaps members could submit saftey tutorials. I'm sure they would have to have their content managed.

Keith Outten
02-27-2006, 7:48 AM
Paul,

If enough of our Members would like us to create a Safety Forum we certainly would be glad to do so. As an option we do have an Articles Forum, anyone who would like to write an article about safety or any safety procedure can request their article be posted in the Articles and Reviews Forum.

John Shuk
02-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm not too interested in pictures really. I think they can be a little over the top. I do however think that instruction in the safe operation of tools can be viewed as subjective and leaves room for debate. There is a thread in the turner's forum that demonstrates this. I like when people share what happened to them because usually it is relatively easy to see the mistakes made. JMHO